What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to AirPrint on HP CP1525nw

charlielaser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How to setup AirPrint on an iPhone & iPad with a HP CP1525nw and Netgear WNDR3700 router

Date written: April 17, 2011
I did this twice. It took 2 days the first time and 3 hours the second time.

Equipment used:
iPhone 4 on AT&T
iPad 2 on Verizon
HP LaserJet CP1525nw color laser
Netgear N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router WNDR3700 v2

Abstract: Upgrade Apple products software, upgrade router firmware, upgrade HP Printer firmware and installer. In that order. Reboot a lot. Test as you go.

1. APPLE - Upgrade iTunes to the latest version 10.2.1.1 Released around mid April, 2011.
2. This will Upgrade iPhone 4 to version 4.3.2 (AT&T) Check in Settings under About.
3. This will Upgrade iPad 2 to version 4.3.2 (Verizon) Check in Settings under About.
4. NETGEAR - Upgrade the Netgear 3700 router from version 1.0.0.6 to version 1.0.0.8 using the built in webpage to check for updates. The router will download and install the updates. This will also update the built in Web setup GUI from 1.0.0.56 to 1.0.0.67. Power off and on the router. To see your version, check Status under Maintenance
5. Now is a good time to setup Wireless security in the router. Set to WPA PSK (TKIP) + WPA2-PSK (AES). Uncheck Enable Wireless Isolation.
6. Enter a password for both bands 2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz, I used the same for both. (the iPad can use the 5 GHz WiFi band but not for printing {?} so use 2.4 GHz when you print.) You should give them different SSID names, like NETHOME and NETHOME-5. These will show up on your wireless devices (like the iPad but not iPhone)
7. Make sure your computer, iPhone and iPad can connect to the internet before you go on.
8. HP PRINTER – Go to HP’s website and down load the latest Installer and firmware for the CP1525nw.
9. HP LaserJet Pro CP1525nw Color Printer - HP Customer Care (United States - English)
10. This is the webpage but you can just search for CP1525nw at the HP website.
11. Select your Operating System, such as Win 7 32 bit. And look at the list of downloads that appear below. Under Drivers (2), you want to download the HP LaserJet Full Feature Software and Driver. It says it is version 2.0 The Installer you will use is version 3.0.3.5253 as you will see. The Installer on the CD is much older (1.4).
12. Now under Firmware (1) download the newest firmware utility for the printer. HP LaserJet Firmware Update Utility. The file name is CP1525_Series_FW_Update-20101125.exe [1/1, 6.87M]
13. Note the date is 20101125. My Printer had 20100430. These are the firmware version numbers.
14. So 2 programs from HP. One is the Installer and the other is the Firmware Updater. You can just click on the HP Full Feature Installer to run it. No CD needed anymore. You have to get the printer working on the USB port next, and then you can update the firmware in the printer.
15. You should uninstall any old drivers if it asks you. You are going to uninstall and reinstall 2 or more times. Uninstall old stuff, install new USB drivers from the new download, uninstall USB drivers, and install Wireless drivers. But first get the USB working and printing. Print Config from the printer control menu to see your firmware version…. Reports/Config Report. Look at Firmware Date.
16. Now you can double click the 2nd HP program to upgrade the Printer firmware. The file is called CP1525_Series_FW_Update-20101125.exe This will upgrade the firmware over the USB port. When it is done you will get a yellow Happy Face. You can print Config Report from the printer controls to see the firmware version… 20101125.
17. Power off/on Printer. Turn off cell phones, go into Airplane mode on the iPhone and iPad. You can turn on the iPhone and iPad WiFi but leave the 3G phone stuff off. This seems to be important, I think some of the “not found†problems are RF interference with the WiFi.
18. Run HP Installer again. Uninstall the USB driver and then run it again to install the printer as a Wireless Device. You will need to pick the router and enter the password so the printer can log on to the router.
19. Once you reboot the printer, check for the blue light on the front. Make sure the Wireless is turned on in the Printer Wireless settings.
20. Your iPad and iPhone will go through the Router and back out to the Printer to print. Uninstall Print n Share, Print Pro and other printing helpers. (for now) Try printing now. It doesn’t work with Notes, so try printing in Safari with the BoxArrow icon.
21. The first time you print, you should see the Printer in list, but I had to get out of the app and get back in to Print the first time. After that is works with the CP1525nw without picking the printer again. You will see a big print button.
22. We so excited…. AirPrint works. (Needs some printer setting…landscape?)
23. Disclaimer – I don’t work for Apple, HP, Netgear, AT&T or Verizon. I work for free… I would be willing to beta test for them, they need help.

pmiller

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Further thoughts.

How to setup AirPrint on an iPhone & iPad with a HP CP1525nw and Netgear WNDR3700 router

Date written: April 17, 2011
I did this twice. It took 2 days the first time and 3 hours the second time.

Equipment used:
iPhone 4 on AT&T
iPad 2 on Verizon
HP LaserJet CP1525nw color laser
Netgear N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router WNDR3700 v2

Abstract: Upgrade Apple products software, upgrade router firmware, upgrade HP Printer firmware and installer. In that order. Reboot a lot. Test as you go.

1. APPLE - Upgrade iTunes to the latest version 10.2.1.1 Released around mid April, 2011.
2. This will Upgrade iPhone 4 to version 4.3.2 (AT&T) Check in Settings under About.
3. This will Upgrade iPad 2 to version 4.3.2 (Verizon) Check in Settings under About.
4. NETGEAR - Upgrade the Netgear 3700 router from version 1.0.0.6 to version 1.0.0.8 using the built in webpage to check for updates. The router will download and install the updates. This will also update the built in Web setup GUI from 1.0.0.56 to 1.0.0.67. Power off and on the router. To see your version, check Status under Maintenance
5. Now is a good time to setup Wireless security in the router. Set to WPA PSK (TKIP) + WPA2-PSK (AES). Uncheck Enable Wireless Isolation.
6. Enter a password for both bands 2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz, I used the same for both. (the iPad can use the 5 GHz WiFi band but not for printing {?} so use 2.4 GHz when you print.) You should give them different SSID names, like NETHOME and NETHOME-5. These will show up on your wireless devices (like the iPad but not iPhone)
7. Make sure your computer, iPhone and iPad can connect to the internet before you go on.
8. HP PRINTER – Go to HP’s website and down load the latest Installer and firmware for the CP1525nw.
9. HP LaserJet Pro CP1525nw Color Printer - HP Customer Care (United States - English)
10. This is the webpage but you can just search for CP1525nw at the HP website.
11. Select your Operating System, such as Win 7 32 bit. And look at the list of downloads that appear below. Under Drivers (2), you want to download the HP LaserJet Full Feature Software and Driver. It says it is version 2.0 The Installer you will use is version 3.0.3.5253 as you will see. The Installer on the CD is much older (1.4).
12. Now under Firmware (1) download the newest firmware utility for the printer. HP LaserJet Firmware Update Utility. The file name is CP1525_Series_FW_Update-20101125.exe [1/1, 6.87M]
13. Note the date is 20101125. My Printer had 20100430. These are the firmware version numbers.
14. So 2 programs from HP. One is the Installer and the other is the Firmware Updater. You can just click on the HP Full Feature Installer to run it. No CD needed anymore. You have to get the printer working on the USB port next, and then you can update the firmware in the printer.
15. You should uninstall any old drivers if it asks you. You are going to uninstall and reinstall 2 or more times. Uninstall old stuff, install new USB drivers from the new download, uninstall USB drivers, and install Wireless drivers. But first get the USB working and printing. Print Config from the printer control menu to see your firmware version…. Reports/Config Report. Look at Firmware Date.
16. Now you can double click the 2nd HP program to upgrade the Printer firmware. The file is called CP1525_Series_FW_Update-20101125.exe This will upgrade the firmware over the USB port. When it is done you will get a yellow Happy Face. You can print Config Report from the printer controls to see the firmware version… 20101125.
17. Power off/on Printer. Turn off cell phones, go into Airplane mode on the iPhone and iPad. You can turn on the iPhone and iPad WiFi but leave the 3G phone stuff off. This seems to be important, I think some of the “not found†problems are RF interference with the WiFi.
18. Run HP Installer again. Uninstall the USB driver and then run it again to install the printer as a Wireless Device. You will need to pick the router and enter the password so the printer can log on to the router.
19. Once you reboot the printer, check for the blue light on the front. Make sure the Wireless is turned on in the Printer Wireless settings.
20. Your iPad and iPhone will go through the Router and back out to the Printer to print. Uninstall Print n Share, Print Pro and other printing helpers. (for now) Try printing now. It doesn’t work with Notes, so try printing in Safari with the BoxArrow icon.
21. The first time you print, you should see the Printer in list, but I had to get out of the app and get back in to Print the first time. After that is works with the CP1525nw without picking the printer again. You will see a big print button.
22. We so excited…. AirPrint works. (Needs some printer setting…landscape?)
23. Disclaimer – I don’t work for Apple, HP, Netgear, AT&T or Verizon. I work for free… I would be willing to beta test for them, they need help.

I followed these steps to get this printer working with a linksys wrt54 router, however, we just switched routers to dlink dir 655. I could not get this working for anything for 2 days. In the end, I got it working using the following steps:
1. Follow all the steps above, and make sure you are using the latest firmware for your router.
2. On the dlink, I have left off WLAN partition (off by default) and left disabled multicast streams (disabled by default). Some forums indicate enabling multicast for apple tv, but others say to leave it disabled for printing.
3. On the printer, I disabled IPv6, and left the domain name blank under Networking>Network Identification (we do have a domain at work, but setting that seemed to break it).

Overall airprint takes a little bit of magic to get working. Another annoyance is the CP1525 won't join the dlink wifi right away (blue light keeps blinking for 10 minutes or more). On the old linksys that wasn't a problem. Part of the issue may be that there is quite a bit of wifi nearby - try configuring your router to use a different channel (best channels are 1, 6, and 11 for separation - pick one of these 3 that isn't being used). Good luck.

Most reactions

Latest posts