What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can't delete app/icon called ""

Starman002

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was downloading some app and it got stuck. I get the X to delete it but it says Deleting "" will delete all data. Do you want to continue? I click yes but the icon/app still stays. I have tried the restoring restrictions and clicking on delete apps but to no avail. How can I get rid of this icon? Please help. Starman002

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I was downloading some app and it got stuck. I get the X to delete it but it says Deleting "" will delete all data. Do you want to continue? I click yes but the icon/app still stays. I have tried the restoring restrictions and clicking on delete apps but to no avail. How can I get rid of this icon? Please help. Starman002
Have you tried connecting your iPad to iTunes on your computer, unchecking the app in question, then syncing the iPad?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
scifan57, I do not know what app it is nor how to identify it. Starman002
Do you have a backup made before you had the problem deleting the app? If so, you can restore the iPad and set it up from that backup.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you tried rebooting the iPad? Press and hold both the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears, then release both buttons and wait for the iPad t restart. If this doesn't work, try signing out of your iTunes account, then sign back in.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Try going to Settings > General > Usage > Manage Storage. Find the app and tap on it. There should be a Delete option. This often works when deleting from the main screen fails, or when an app stays on the iPad but the icon can not be found.

BTW, if the restrictions settings are preventing the deletions of apps you will not see the (X) on the icons when the icons are jiggling (in delete/edit mode). If you saw the (X), that was not the problem.

OP
S

Starman002

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerpoet, before coming to this site I tried the manage storage. Since I don't know what app it is I can't delete it. There is only an icon that even though it jiggles and the X shows up, I can't delete it. Any other ideas?

Gtatler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
twerpoet, before coming to this site I tried the manage storage. Since I don't know what app it is I can't delete it. There is only an icon that even though it jiggles and the X shows up, I can't delete it. Any other ideas?

Doesn't the manage screen give a (very) small icon ? That should help to track it down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dcharleyultra

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Go to App Store-> Purchased-> All. The app should be near the top of the list, and have a cloud icon.

OP
S

Starman002

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Everyone thank you for input, however, as I don't know what application I tried to download, nothing, so far that has been recommended is of any use. I don't see a small icon anywhere & even though it shows a cloud icon on purchases, if I don't have it attempted to download, I can't get rid of it. I don't want to do a full erase and reload. Doesn't anyone have any other idea? Please?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you have not done so, try downloading it again. Once it's downloaded, it should be possible to delete it properly.

And because we haven't mentioned them yet, here are the usual fixes, in case there are any you haven't tied yet.

------------------------------
The Usual Fixes
------------------------------

When you have problems with an app it's a good idea to clear it from RAM.

Close/Clear the app:

iOS 6: With the problem app closed, double tap on the Home button to get the multitask bar. Tap and hold on any icon in the bar until they jiggle, then tap the minus sign on the problem app.
iOS 7 & 8: Double tap the Home button to get the multitasking display. Swipe up on the problem app's thumbnail image (not the icon).

If that does not work try a restart,

Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears. Apple recommends you restart the iPad at least once a month.

and then a reset if that does not work.

Reset: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart.

Reset All Settings: Another, somewhat more drastic thing you can do is Reset All Settings. You'll find this under Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings. It won't erase any of your content, apps, or accounts; but you will have to go through most of your other settings and re-tweak them back to your liking. Do not confuse this with Erase All Content and Settings.

More detailed information at: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3281?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
twerppoet, how does resetting all settings delete the icon?

I wouldn't expect it to, though it might fix whatever is keeping your from deleting the icon manually. Not that I expect it to do that either. On the other hand, I've seen it fix issues I didn't expect before.

Usual Fixes is a file I keep handy for all the standard things you can try that won't delete data. I got tired of typing it all out over and over again, so now I keep this file, and just update it whenever I think I need too. Sometimes I'll delete the parts I don't think necessary, but mostly I just post the whole thing; on the theory that a particular trick might come in handy later, or for someone else.

What can I say? I'm just a bit lazy. :)

OP
S

Starman002

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet,

Thanks, but it did not work. Now I have to reset settings and still can not get rid of the icon.

Any other ideas?

Most reactions

Latest posts