What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trying to delete eBay app freezes ipad

Saphira2021

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i have been trying to delete eBay app. Every time I click on the x on that icon, my ipad 3 retina freezes. I can't turn it off, I can't reset and other icons are winking in and out. I managed to shut down and restart but I still want to get rid of the app. Would appreciate some help. Thanks

iPad (3rd generation) Wi-Fi

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Try going into Settings > General > Usage > Manage Storage (under Storage, not iCloud). Find your app in the list, tap on it, and use the red Delete App button.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441939102.575161.jpg

OP
S

Saphira2021

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thank you. I did that and was able to get rid of eBay app but now discovered that trying to delete any app has exactly the same problem. What do I do now?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I've never heard of anything like that. If the reset didn't work, then the only thing I can think of is restoring from a backup. And then if that does not work restoring without a backup.

But, if you have an Apple Store in reasonable distance, I'd make a genius appointment and have them look at it first.

To be clear, when you say reset you mean holding down the home and power button until the Apple Logo appears, yes?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Is it possible that you restricted "Deleting Apps" in Settings - General - Restrictions"? If it is disabled there, turn it on again. Maybe that's why it's not working.

OP
S

Saphira2021

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've never heard of anything like that. If the reset didn't work, then the only thing I can think of is restoring from a backup. And then if that does not work restoring without a backup.

But, if you have an Apple Store in reasonable distance, I'd make a genius appointment and have them look at it first.

To be clear, when you say reset you mean holding down the home and power button until the Apple Logo appears, yes?
Yes to the last question. Thank you. I will make an appointment as suggested for asap, hopefully today/tomorrow and post the results. Thanks again.

OP
S

Saphira2021

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is it possible that you restricted "Deleting Apps" in Settings - General - Restrictions"? If it is disabled there, turn it on again. Maybe that's why it's not working.
Thank you. I checked and the setting says "off".

OP
S

Saphira2021

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you take a close look, you'll find "Allow":
View attachment 67550
So if you enable "Deleting Apps", you allow it.
My screen looks almost exactly like your attachment except between the header "restrictions " and "allow " i have "enable restrictions", everything below allow is grayed out but it is still all green on the right including deleting apps button
So i think it is allowed? Wrong?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
More, unnecessary, information.

If the top says "Enable Restrictions", then there are no restrictions applied; so the individual settings mean nothing. At least they shouldn't.

When you tap "Enable Restrictions" it asks you for a passcode, twice, then changes to "Disable Restrictions. At that point the list items are no longer grayed out and you can change them.

I always enable restrictions on my iOS devices, then leave all the options allowed. I do this so that no one else can 'accidentally' set the restriction passcode to something I don't know.

Never forget the passcode.

OP
S

Saphira2021

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ok. i wiped the iPad and recovered backup. used apple website for instructions. once backup run, the problem started occurring intermittently again. Since i now know how, i am going to wipe again, then install apps manually without the backup so that whatever was corrupted isn't coming back.

thank you all for helping. this was much appreciated.

Most reactions

Latest posts