What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cannot detect iPad on iTunes and computer

kennethfong

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just got the iPad and had problems with the above. Already tried cold reboot many times, reinstalling iTunes, changing USB ports directly at laptop all to no avail. Please advise how to overcome this?
Laptop does not detect iPad as well :mad:
Thanks! Keni

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The next thing to try is restarting your iPad. You do this by holding down the Home button at the bottom of the screen and holding down the Sleep/Wake button on top of the iPad until you get a red slider that says, "slide to power off". Move the slider to the right and your iPad will shut off. Now hold the Sleep/Wake button again until you see the Apple logo in the middle of the screen then let go. After a few seconds (hopefully!) you will see your lock screen when you have to "slide to unlock". Now try hooking it up to iTunes and see what happens.

If your computer still doesn't see your iPad, call your local Apple store.

Digikid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just got the iPad and had problems with the above. Already tried cold reboot many times, reinstalling iTunes, changing USB ports directly at laptop all to no avail. Please advise how to overcome this?
Laptop does not detect iPad as well :mad:
Thanks! Keni

I know that you said that you reinstalled iTunes but is the version that you reinstalled the LATEST version? If not then you have to upgrade iTunes to the latest version. Could also be a faulty cable.

OP
K

kennethfong

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes it is the new version of iTunes, the cable came with the set. Will test out another cable then. Thanks for the advise.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The next thing to try is restarting your iPad. You do this by holding down the Home button at the bottom of the screen and holding down the Sleep/Wake button on top of the iPad until you get a red slider that says, "slide to power off". Move the slider to the right and your iPad will shut off. Now hold the Sleep/Wake button again until you see the Apple logo in the middle of the screen then let go. After a few seconds (hopefully!) you will see your lock screen when you have to "slide to unlock". Now try hooking it up to iTunes and see what happens.

If your computer still doesn't see your iPad, call your local Apple store.

Say, just an idea, I won't have access to my computer for a while, can you check in iTunes if there is a 'Detect Devices' kind of setting?

When I changed computer a while back my iPod would not show up on the new computer. I had to find a setting in iTunes to toggle and it erased the iPod to reinstall content anew.

kpctexas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i am having the same issue kenneth...

I have completely reset my ipad, upgraded my itunes (all of my other devices are working great including my husbands ipad) and restarted my computer --i still have nothing.

help.

wakeybob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the same problem, it just isn't detected at all. It does charge via the electricity socket fine, just no connection between pc. I rang apple and they wanted £90 just to talk about it although I stipulated it was only six months old and is under warranty. They say it is a simple software issue but won't help unless I take out the support package.:mad:

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the same problem, it just isn't detected at all. It does charge via the electricity socket fine, just no connection between pc. I rang apple and they wanted £90 just to talk about it although I stipulated it was only six months old and is under warranty. They say it is a simple software issue but won't help unless I take out the support package.:mad:

Following up your other posts in a separate thread, are you anywhere near an Apple Store? If it's still under warranty, I'd return it to the store and either get them to demonstrate to you that there is no fault or give you a replacement. You might just casually let it drop too that you're posting your experiences in iPad Forum, the largest such forum in the world.....

Tim

Jeeper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I had a similar issue with iPad on my Mac, I found another app "grabbing" the iPad before iTunes could. It was Parallels, I shut it down and then iTunes could find iPad just fine.

May not be your issue, but I thought it was worth mentioning. Good luck.

toccata

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i am having the same issue kenneth...

I have completely reset my ipad, upgraded my itunes (all of my other devices are working great including my husbands ipad) and restarted my computer --i still have nothing.

help.
hi, did u manage to solve the problem ? i am facing the same problem now

JacobD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What did the apple store have to say? I have a jailbroken iphone4, I've jailbroken my 3gs and played with cydia for going on 2 years now. The device charges from all three usb ports fine but my computer won't detect it nor will itunes. I can't do anything at the moment. I have restarted both iphone and computer multiple times, completely uninstalled anything apple on my windows 7 pc reinstalled itunes but i've yet to get my iphone to pull up. The iphone works fine and i guess i'm going to keep using it w/out syncing via pc until i can get a solution.

JacobD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Check your cable!

I can't believe it happened to me but i got mixed up and a new cable I purchased for really cheap turns out to only be good for charging. It wasn't capable of syncing. tried two other cables when i got home and they worked fine. Rookie mistake even for a 2 year veteran... Synced fine....

jgelzinis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iTunes still won't display my iDevices in the sidebar!

When I had a similar issue with iPad on my Mac, I found another app "grabbing" the iPad before iTunes could. It was Parallels, I shut it down and then iTunes could find iPad just fine.

May not be your issue, but I thought it was worth mentioning. Good luck.

I believe this is my issue. I installed Windows 7 inside Parallels 7. The next time I connected my iPad (and/or iPhone) Parallels asked if I wanted to connect to Mac OS or Windows. I chose Mac and it hasn't worked right since. iTunes will display the device in the sidebar for 2 or 3 seconds then it disappears. After that it syncs automatically, but since I can't see it in the sidebar I can't manage my content.

MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo
8GB RAM

Mac OS 10.7.2
iTunes 10.5.2
Parallels 7
Windows 7 VM

Here's what I've tried:

New USB cable.
Restarting everything.
Updating everything.
Quitting Parallels/Windows.
Using Image Capture to select device and direct iTunes to start when device is connected.
iPhoto sees the device.

Still no luck. Any ideas?

Most reactions

Latest posts