What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jailbroken iPad 2 on iOS 5.0.1 not detected by computer

iSingaporean

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello all!

This has been bothering me for quite sometime..(6 months ago this problem occurred, I used to be able to get it to be detected by my computer)

So this is what's "happening":

When I plug my iPad into my laptop, it will not be recognized/detected, no charging sign, not appearing on iTunes
But when I plug in my iPhone, it can be detected, sync and stuff
Tried changing cables and tried plugging in different computers and still no luck

- Do you think the jailbreak/Cydia tweak is causing the problem and going to DFU mode will "solve" the problem(iTunes will detect it if I'm in DFU mode and I can restore)?
- Can I put it in DFU mode/Recovery mode to see if it's the jailbreak that's causing the problem?
- If I enter Recovery mode, will I have an endless loop(unable to boot up and stuck in Recovery mode until I can restore)?

P.S: My Apple Care expires in September so worse come to worse I will have to get stuck in Recovery and go to the store and try to get it replaced(if it's a cable/software problem)

Thanks in advance!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I would try to restore to iOS 6.1 (the most current iOS) and see if that works.

Yes, you will lose all your settings and data because you can't do a backup, but, hopefully, it will work to get iTunes to "see" the iPad.

So, I suggest you save all you can (since you can't get a backup). Upload your pictures to online storage (like Dropbox), e-mail yourself important documents, etc. In other words, get all the stuff off the iPad that you will want back after a restore.

Then, download the iOS 6.1.1 IPSW and put the iPad in DFU mode (with iTunes closed). Once it's in DFU mode, open iTunes and see if it recognizes the iPad. If yes, continue on with the shift/restore process to put iOS 6.1. on the iPad.

If iTunes doesn't recognize the iPad in recovery mode, I'm sorry to say that it won't be "stuck" in recovery mode. Just unplug the iPad and reset it (hold sleep and home buttons until you get the Apple logo). It'll come back as it was.

Hopefully, though, that will be a moot point as the restore to iOS 6 will work (fingers crossed). Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

Bula.bula

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iSingaporean said:
Hello all!

This has been bothering me for quite sometime..(6 months ago this problem occurred, I used to be able to get it to be detected by my computer)

So this is what's "happening":

When I plug my iPad into my laptop, it will not be recognized/detected, no charging sign, not appearing on iTunes
But when I plug in my iPhone, it can be detected, sync and stuff
Tried changing cables and tried plugging in different computers and still no luck

- Do you think the jailbreak/Cydia tweak is causing the problem and going to DFU mode will "solve" the problem(iTunes will detect it if I'm in DFU mode and I can restore)?
- Can I put it in DFU mode/Recovery mode to see if it's the jailbreak that's causing the problem?
- If I enter Recovery mode, will I have an endless loop(unable to boot up and stuck in Recovery mode until I can restore)?

P.S: My Apple Care expires in September so worse come to worse I will have to get stuck in Recovery and go to the store and try to get it replaced(if it's a cable/software problem)

Thanks in advance!

Try putting your iPad into safe mode... Then check to see if your computer will detect it when plugged in. If "yes " do a full backup and restore to iOS 6.1

OP
I

iSingaporean

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try putting your iPad into safe mode... Then check to see if your computer will detect it when plugged in. If "yes " do a full backup and restore to iOS 6.1

I put my iPad into safe mode and my computer still doesn't detect it..

I would try to restore to iOS 6.1 (the most current iOS) and see if that works.

Yes, you will lose all your settings and data because you can't do a backup, but, hopefully, it will work to get iTunes to "see" the iPad.

So, I suggest you save all you can (since you can't get a backup). Upload your pictures to online storage (like Dropbox), e-mail yourself important documents, etc. In other words, get all the stuff off the iPad that you will want back after a restore.

Then, download the iOS 6.1.1 IPSW and put the iPad in DFU mode (with iTunes closed). Once it's in DFU mode, open iTunes and see if it recognizes the iPad. If yes, continue on with the shift/restore process to put iOS 6.1. on the iPad.

If iTunes doesn't recognize the iPad in recovery mode, I'm sorry to say that it won't be "stuck" in recovery mode. Just unplug the iPad and reset it (hold sleep and home buttons until you get the Apple logo). It'll come back as it was.

Hopefully, though, that will be a moot point as the restore to iOS 6 will work (fingers crossed). Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

I don't have the courage to do so LOL
Will try doing it ASAP!
Do this method(Just unplug the iPad and reset it (hold sleep and home buttons until you get the Apple logo) enable me to 100% exit Recovery mode if iTunes still doesn't detect my iPad?
I heard about a recover loop or whatever loop.. is it rare or?

Thanks in advance!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I put my iPad into safe mode and my computer still doesn't detect it..

I don't have the courage to do so LOL
Will try doing it ASAP!
Do this method(Just unplug the iPad and reset it (hold sleep and home buttons until you get the Apple logo) enable me to 100% exit Recovery mode if iTunes still doesn't detect my iPad?
I heard about a recover loop or whatever loop.. is it rare or?

Thanks in advance!

Well, it enables me to take my iPad out of DFU mode - so, there's that. I can't 100% guarantee it, no, though I am pretty sure.

Recovery loops are pretty rare and usually happen when you are, well, recovering. :) This isn't the same situation, however, as all you are doing is getting out of DFU Mode...

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts