What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can you help me decide original ipad or kindle?

liquid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello ipadforums.net!

So I have a seemingly a simple question. Being on a budget and not able to buy a brand new tablet I began searching for used ones. The original ipad can be found on ebay for about $200 which is the same price as the new kindle fire. Hopefully some of you can offer an opinion which would be better a used ipad or the new kindle fire?

Benefits I see with the ipad is the mass amounts of developed apps, larger screen, more storage, and jailbreaking.
The one thing I really like about the kindle it's built from a company known for e readers.

I really enjoy reading without having to scale the screen to fit the words like on my ipod. Especially for ebooks downloaded to my pc and transferred onto the device as pdf's. This is one of my main reasons for getting a tablet. So if you can offer an unbiased opinion on which to get and why please do. :)

Grinchy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You have to decide what your priority is. Kindle ereader is absolutely excellent - is does what it says on the box. It is an ideal size for carrying around in your bag, it cannot be beaten when it comes to reading in bright sunlight. It is not heavy so makes it very portable.

I have an ipad and a Kindle but use both for different purposes. I hardly ever read on the ipad, as the backlight can be sore on the eyes, it can be heavy after a time and there is no way you can read outside in bright light or sunshine.

If you simply want an ereader then go for the Kindle but be aware you won't do much more than read on it. Yes, you can get web access if you buy the 3G version but the browser is very slow and clunky - but it is free. Great for checking email if away from home and reading news, but not great if you want to really surf the net. That's my experience with the Kindle but I have resd where people subscribe to newspapers and get them downloaded daily, so could be useful there.

Ipad I have just had for a short time and probably don't use it to it's full potential but I wouldn't be without either the ipad or my Kindle.

Kind regards

bobbcat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I do a lot of reading on my iPad. Brightness of the backlight can be adjusted. It supports its own reader (iBooks) & you can download & use the free Kindle app (which I prefer). I also use the new app Newsstand (with ios 5). I prefer not to read in bright sunlight, so having to stick to e ink (used by the Kindle) is not an issue for me. Just some food for thought.......

Last edited:

pbearsailor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree with everything Grinchy said. I also have both.

The only other point I might make is about eye fatigue if you read a lot. The e ink display on Kindle is much easier on your eyes and also works well in bright light.

I love my iPad, but the Kindle is a better book.

-steve

eilerc59

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I believe Liquid was inquiring about a choice between an iPad 1 and a new Kindle Fire. I too, have an iPad (2) and a Kindle e-reader (3rd generation). As of now, no one has a Kindle Fire, but they do look promising. If your priorities lie in media consumption (movies, books, tv, etc.) you might want to give the Kindle Fire a shot. I buy most of my consumables on Amazon anyway (although I use the iPad to do it!).

If you're more interested in lots of useful apps in different categories, you'd probably do well with the iPad. In any event, I'm sure you'll enjoy either...tablet computing is a whole new world. Enjoy...

OP
L

liquid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The kindle fire is a all purpose tablet pc not just a ereader. Does the ipad have any downfalls compared to other tablets? Would it be worth the money to pay $300 for a refurbished one from apple? I've really enjoyed the ipod touch and dont have many doubts about the ipad. Did you buy their ipad on ebay? What was your experience?

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In terms of the refurbs, I can certainly vouch for those, the only way to distinguish between a refurb and new is the box and you get the same guarantee as you do on a new one.

The Archangel

OP
L

liquid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In terms of the refurbs, I can certainly vouch for those, the only way to distinguish between a refurb and new is the box and you get the same guarantee as you do on a new one.

The Archangel

Thanks Gabriel that helps a lot.

Still looking for advise on first gen ipads if anyone has input.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well I'm typing this on a first gen iPad refurb....so if you have any other questions please feel free and ask away.

The Archangel

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hello Liquid, welcome to the forum. I recently came across an article in PC World, that I thought you might want to read. With regard to your quest of which device is better, I cannot persuade you to go either way. Since you have the iPod Touch, reading books and looking at movies, TV shows, etc on the iPod, is pretty daunting and eye straining. The Kindle Fire gives you two more inches at an attractive price with easy access to Amazon products and services. The iPad gives you another two inches. If the only choice differential is size and price go with Kindle Fire.

Amazon's Kindle Fire Tablet vs. the Competition: Spec Showdown | PCWorld

GoPackGo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello ipadforums.net!

So I have a seemingly a simple question. Being on a budget and not able to buy a brand new tablet I began searching for used ones. The original ipad can be found on ebay for about $200 which is the same price as the new kindle fire. Hopefully some of you can offer an opinion which would be better a used ipad or the new kindle fire?

Benefits I see with the ipad is the mass amounts of developed apps, larger screen, more storage, and jailbreaking.
The one thing I really like about the kindle it's built from a company known for e readers.

I really enjoy reading without having to scale the screen to fit the words like on my ipod. Especially for ebooks downloaded to my pc and transferred onto the device as pdf's. This is one of my main reasons for getting a tablet. So if you can offer an unbiased opinion on which to get and why please do. :)
Well first of all you're in ipadforums.net. Hard to be unbiased here, because we probably wouldn't be on this forum if we didn't love our ipads! That being said, you're right about the benefits. There are so many great apps (I never thought I'd break 100 and I have about 125) that I use every day. I know you have an iPod Touch already, but I have a smartphone (a crappy Android but still) - apps are just far more enjoyable on the iPad than a smartphone, hands down. The bigger screen makes the majority of apps simply delightful. One of my favorite apps, actually, is iBooks. Which is the supposed benefit of the kindle.

I had a nook (which I sold to buy my iPad) so I will say that eInk is something to be reckoned with. It's very easy on the eyes. However, iBooks is an AWESOME app. Turning sepia on reduces eye strain, I love the highlight feature, I love the tap to define feature, and I adjusted to reading books on there vs. the nook quite nicely.

I say the iPad, in as unbiased of a way as possible! I assure you you won't regret it. It'll exceed your expectations.

Last edited:

jhall124

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A Kindle is the best for ebooks, but that's it. If you have PDFs, you're better off with an iPad. I had a Kindle but needed to read several PDFs for college. There "are" conversion tools but none that I've found are not that good.

I have an iPad now and never looked back. I use the Kindle app for the ebooks I've purchased with my Kindle.

Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Jeeper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I love my iPad 1, if you can get one at the same price as Kindle fire, I'd say that's a "no brainer". I'd also be surprised if the Fire (although it looks really cool, and I'm tempted) would have the full functionality of the iPad. One thing I just did was cut some card board to the dimensions of the ipod Touch, Fire and iPad, now I can really see what the using experience will be like.

Size matters, I just depends on your needs ;)

Most reactions

Latest posts