What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Amazon Unveils its Kindle Fire iPad Rival for $199

frankdber

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It has Fash! Time for Apple to stop being like Microsoft and give it's customers what they want! If Apple has a problem with Adobe then sort it out and don't punish your customers.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
frankdber said:
It has Fash! Time for Apple to stop being like Microsoft and give it's customers what they want! If Apple has a problem with Adobe then sort it out and don't punish your customers.

Just go buy one.

The iPad will never run flash.

Ever.

Customers have already spoken at the rate of 200,000 iPads sold every single day.

-t

frankdber

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thewitt said:
Just go buy one.

Ever.

Customers have already spoken at the rate of 200,000 iPads sold every single day.

-t

Never? Never is a long time! My first Apple was an Apple II Plus in 1980! Apple has screwed up many times in their history and eventually started producing Intel computers. So things do change particularly with all the new tablets coming out.

Time will tell. $500 v $199 in a recession, well let's wait and see.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Fair warning to all...this thread won't be allowed to devolve into a pro or con Flash discussion as there are numerous others already active. TIA!

miket5au

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I bought a kindle because it has an ePaper screen. The fire does not so I will not be considering one.

The ipad is for everything else but reading. It is too heavy for long reading sessions and it is harder on my eyes for reading than the kindle is. I have a 7in android tablet and found it a little small for web browsing and magazines.

Regards, Mick

ssbib

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thewitt said:
Just go buy one.

Ever.

-t

What is the reason why iPad doesn't run flash?

parcas1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No, Apple brought Intel chips to put in their computers to run Apple's system. Intel wanted the market and were very happy to get such a strong customer. No wonder we are in economic freefall if you see Apple becoming one of the most successful companies in the world as 'screwing up'. Presumably you think HP having to turn their Slate into landfill is a major success and a sign Flash matters. Do you run a Bank?

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Fair warning to all...this thread won't be allowed to devolve into a pro or con Flash discussion as there are numerous others already active. TIA!

What is the reason why iPad doesn't run flash?

No, Apple brought Intel chips to put in their computers to run Apple's system. Intel wanted the market and were very happy to get such a strong customer. No wonder we are in economic freefall if you see Apple becoming one of the most successful companies in the world as 'screwing up'. Presumably you think HP having to turn their Slate into landfill is a major success and a sign Flash matters. Do you run a Bank?

Guys ~ were you not warned about turning this thread into a flash debate? Last warning. Posts will be deleted and appropriate sanctions distributed.

Here is the last word on this topic. It is never going to change ~

Thoughts on Flash

Itwasntme

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think Amazon will introduce many people to the world of tablets that were otherwise on the fence. People who already have an android tablet wouldn't purchase this. Some with iPads may for various reasons. I have my iPad and my Asus Transformer. I've had the iPad since fathers day of 2010. It replaced my laptop at home for everything other than coding. Since acquiring the transformer I have been seriously neglecting my iPad, but that's the subject of another discussion.

My understanding is that you will only be able to purchase apps through Amazon's app store. If that's the case then there's quite a bit of great apps people will be missing out on that reside on the google marketplace.

Will this rival the iPad? Nope, and I don't think that's what Amazon is going for.

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think Amazon will introduce many people to the world of tablets that were otherwise on the fence. People who already have an android tablet wouldn't purchase this. Some with iPads may for various reasons. I have my iPad and my Asus Transformer. I've had the iPad since fathers day of 2010. It replaced my laptop at home for everything other than coding. Since acquiring the transformer I have been seriously neglecting my iPad, but that's the subject of another discussion.

My understanding is that you will only be able to purchase apps through Amazon's app store. If that's the case then there's quite a bit of great apps people will be missing out on that reside on the google marketplace.

Will this rival the iPad? Nope, and I don't think that's what Amazon is going for.

Just as long as buyers do not expect their device to equal the iPad, they will be happy. I suspect there are some people that ordered it thinking it was an "iPad Killer" and they might be upset when they learn that does not do what they think it will or should do.

I view it as a more advanced e-book reader not a serious entry into the tablet market. Every time I research the device I learn something I do not like. For example, limited memory and no memory card slot. I did not know your only option for apps was Amazon. Are you saying the Android Market is out? This might be a good thing especially if the tablet is limited.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Just as long as buyers do not expect their device to equal the iPad, they will be happy. I suspect there are some people that ordered it thinking it was an "iPad Killer" and they might be upset when they learn that does not do what they think it will or should do.

I view it as a more advanced e-book reader not a serious entry into the tablet market. Every time I research the device I learn something I do not like. For example, limited memory and no memory card slot. I did not know your only option for apps was Amazon. Are you saying the Android Market is out? This might be a good thing especially if the tablet is limited.
This. Couldn't agree more. It looks like a great "eBook reader with benefits", but folks will be disappointed if they try to get it to match what the iPad or really any serious tablet can do. It's a B&N Nook killer if anything.

I recently read an article that said it will be the perfect holiday gift from parents that always get the wrong thing for their kids.
;)

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This. Couldn't agree more. It looks like a great "eBook reader with benefits", but folks will be disappointed if they try to get it to match what the iPad or really any serious tablet can do. It's a B&N Nook killer if anything.

I recently read an article that said it will be the perfect holiday gift from parents that always get the wrong thing for their kids.

LOL . . . I can hear it now, "But daddy, (sniff, sniff, whine, whine, cry, cry) I wanted an iPad. All my friends got iPads, I WANT ONE. Throws the thing at the Christmas puppy.

Say, any of you campers? Did you happen to notice that the words 'Kindle' and 'Fire' seem to go together in a rather curious way? I hear that they wanted to call it the TorchPad since HP dropped the line.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Say, any of you campers? Did you happen to notice that the words 'Kindle' and 'Fire' seem to go together in a rather curious way? I hear that they wanted to call it the TorchPad since HP dropped the line.

That is interesting...and sadly funny. I also noticed that nowhere on the site does it mention Android except...

Additional email apps are available in our Amazon Appstore for Android.

I suspect they're trying to avoid having to pay Microsoft Licensing fees for using a tweaked Android OS. I also suspect MS is thinking "Kah-ching!" Then there's Google...kicking themselves in the pants once again.

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
That is interesting...and sadly funny. I also noticed that nowhere on the site does it mention Android except...

I suspect they're trying to avoid having to pay Microsoft Licensing fees for using a tweaked Android OS. I also suspect MS is thinking "Kah-ching!" Then there's Google...kicking themselves in the pants once again.

It mentions the 18 million movies, songs, and books you can get. It also mentions the apps available from the Amazon App Store. No mention of the Android Market. So what does that mean? Users wanting to DL stuff from the Market and no access? Perhaps there is an AM app available from Amazon.

They make a big deal about "Free Cloud Storage." No way to use the device unless you only have 8 Gig of stuff. So naturally, the Cloud storage is free.

It is looking like the Fire is designed to offer minimum benefits except for accessing the Amazon stuff.

Most reactions

Latest posts