What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can I play .wav files on iPad (1) ?

trevorbaret

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am new to this forum, and I have searched, but can't find an answer to this question.

I have a large part of my music collection now stored in iTunes and synced to my iPad and I enjoy listening on the iPad when I am away from home - the sound quality for music is pretty much as good as any digital music (not as good as my old Vinyl records - but good).

My problem is this -

I have some CDs of meditation tracks which use sub-sonic "brain wave entrainment" sounds and ( in some cases ) subliminal messages stored in the sub-sonic tracks.

When these are compressed to MP3 for iTunes, they loose the very high and the very low frequencies, and thus, they lose the most important part of this type of recording.

When I go away, I would like to play these tracks for meditation, but they are no good for me on the iPhone or the iPad, so I have to take a portable CD player with me - very "old-school" and not much fun.

I know that I can save them as .wav files which I can play back on my iMac (or a PC - ercht - bad word...), using Windows Media Player for Mac. But the iMac is a bit cumbersome to take travelling.

Is there an app, or any other way of transferring a .wav file to the iPad and playing it back on the iPad?

I look forward to your help and any suggestions.

Trevor

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You could try the OPlayer app. It does .wav files.

On the other hand it is possible to import CDs into iTunes in a lossless format.

Open iTunes' Preferences. On the General tab you will see the options for when you import from a CD. Click on the Import Options and choose Apple's lossless encoder (feel free to experiment with the others, I don't know enough to say which will work best for you).

Now import your CD's.

Connect your iPad and select it under the Devices list in iTunes. On the summary page make sure the 'Convert higher bit rate songs to 128 kbps AAC' is not checked. On the Music page make sure you are set to sync those songs, either by syncing all songs or by making sure the songs/albums/whatever are selected for sync.

Sync.

Give them a listen and see if that does the job.

Hold in mind lossless formats will take up a lot more space on the iPad.

Last edited:

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The "iPod app" plays .waw files. I made some .waw files (from scratch) and it played on the iPad. "the iMac is a bit hard to carry around" is a understatement.

Sent from my interestingcompanionPad using iPF!

ampdog84

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an 32 GB WiFi iPad2 and I can play .wav files on it with no problems. What I did was to import a music library containing a bunch of .wav files into iTunes, then copied the files into my iPad's music library. The .wav files that I have played back were saved with MPEG Layer 3 compression to keep the file sizes small.

Most reactions

Latest posts