What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GMAIL WAV files attached cannot be played

emoreira

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I receive e-mails in GMAIL from my phone voice mail with the voice mail attached as a wav file. I cannot reproduce the wav file attached. All I get is a black screen with a crossed play icon.
Any way to be able to hear the voice in the file ?

Attachments

• la foto.PNG
    la foto.PNG
    13.8 KB · Views: 365

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Your screenshot looks like a part of the Gmail app. There's a small arrow at the bottom right of this picture. If you tap it, you get the possibility to open the file in Safari. Try this option.

If this doesn't work, set up the Gmail account on your iPad in Settings - Mails, Contacts, Calendars. Afaik the built in Mail app plays these files without problems. So does the Mailbox app. So if you don't want to use Mail, look for Mailbox in App Store, install it and set it up using your Gmail account.

Hope that helps.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you choose to install the app Gtatler posted, then try a combination of both our suggestions:
Open the file in Safari. It will give you the option to open in..., and there you choose OPlayer.

Afaik the Gmail app doesn't give the "Open In..." possibility. This would be a workaround.

OP
emoreira

emoreira

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for all the answers and your time.

Your screenshot looks like a part of the Gmail app. There's a small arrow at the bottom right of this picture. If you tap it, you get the possibility to open the file in Safari. Try this option.

If this doesn't work, set up the Gmail account on your iPad in Settings - Mails, Contacts, Calendars. Afaik the built in Mail app plays these files without problems. So does the Mailbox app. So if you don't want to use Mail, look for Mailbox in App Store, install it and set it up using your Gmail account.

Hope that helps.

In the iPad e-mail I have configured my Hotmail account.
Opening the wav file in Safari I get the same crossed play icon.
If I forward the GMail e-mail with the wav file to my Hotmail account, I can open and play the wav file from there.

I am told that there is an app that will play wav files. https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/oplayerhd-lite-best-free-video/id385896088?mt=8

One downloaded, if the wav file is in an email, press and hold the file until an open in box appears and chose the above app to pay it.

This is the normal way of playing email attachments, so I should think it will work.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

I've installed this app, but it makes no change. I cannot select any other app to play the file.

Last edited:

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the answers and your time. In the iPad e-mail I have configured my Hotmail account. Opening the wav file in Safari I get the same crossed play icon. If I forward the GMail e-mail with the wav file to my Hotmail account, I can open and play the wav file from there.
That's great! :)
Thanks for posting your solution! It may help someone else with a similar problem.

Most reactions