What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bye-Bye Stanza

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yip, it won't work in IOS 5 unfortunately. I'm gutted as this was my reader of choice. Currently testing out Bluefire as a replacement. Sad thing is, I think it would be a relatively easy fix to add IOS 5 support as the app launches - it just throws an exception and hangs on the library page. It seems development has ceased for the app though. :(

xvalx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can't they update the stanza app for os5 I also use stanza a lot for reading on my iPad

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can't they update the stanza app for os5 I also use stanza a lot for reading on my iPad

Amazon bought Stanza a while back, so some people have been guessing that Amazon might let Stanza die and just keep up its Kindle app.

PatriciaF

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yip, it won't work in IOS 5 unfortunately. I'm gutted as this was my reader of choice. Currently testing out Bluefire as a replacement. Sad thing is, I think it would be a relatively easy fix to add IOS 5 support as the app launches - it just throws an exception and hangs on the library page. It seems development has ceased for the app though. :(

I use Bluefire and there are no problems with it.

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
PatriciaF said:
I use Bluefire and there are no problems with it.

Yip, I like Bluefire, it works very well, Its just not quite as good as Stanza but a decent replacement. it would be nice if it showed how far through a book you are on the library page and if it would also save custom colours to make it easier when swapping between day and night themes.

xvalx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Il look at bluefire as a replacement then when stanza goes :(

jhall124

iPF Noob
Reaction score
GoodReader is an excellent replacement, more so if you use DropBox. It's not free but worth the current $4.99.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Except that right now, unfortunately, Goodreader can't read epubs.

I'm still holding out hopes for Stanza - though those hopes are fading fast. I, too, will probably switch to Blufire. It is a good app...

Marilyn

xvalx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kobo app isn't bad someone recommended it to me u can use dropbox with it still hopin stanza will work though

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Kobo app isn't bad someone recommended it to me u can use dropbox with it still hopin stanza will work though

Kobo looks decent but I'm sure this is one of the ebook readers that do not feature iTunes USB sharing which turned me off. Bluefire seems the best compromise for me although I noticed two other apps by a different name that are identical to Bluefire so I'm not sure who the actual developer of this one is.

guthrien

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Horrible news, there are so many nice little features with Stanza. Does Blufire support Calibre libraries? This is so wrong, it's nothing like Kindle!

Edit: wow, no offense to Blufire, but it's not half the app that Stanza is. Stanza is the GoodReader of epubs! I hope someone takes that space back.

Last edited:

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I find Bluefire the closest app to Stanza and I have emailed the Devs requesting some features like saving custom colour themes, finger scroll for brightness, book progress at a glance in the library page and also the current chapter highlighted in the TOC.
I would encourage others to do the same if these want to see this app develop.

info at bluefirereader.com

jhall124

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
Except that right now, unfortunately, Goodreader can't read epubs.

I'm still holding out hopes for Stanza - though those hopes are fading fast. I, too, will probably switch to Blufire. It is a good app...

Marilyn

I understand your point of view. All of my purchased books are from Amazon so the Kindle app works great. PerfectReader is another good app.

martcol

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just want an app that I can view heaps of PDF files in. I don't want all this cloud shizzle or some hawker looking over my shoulder and trying to control how I buy my reading. Stanza let me just drag a doc int a folder and that was that. However, it seemed to fail repeatedly on my phone and pad. I looked at Bluefire and its manual rattle son about DAM, adobe reader and a heap of stuff I'm not interested in. Shall I go back to paper?

Martin

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts