What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bye-Bye Stanza

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I used Stanza and I'm missing it.. It was nothing special as far as a reader goes.. I could probably be happy with most of the other readers out there, But Stanza let me search different databases for books.. This includes the Gutenberg Press for some of the old free classics. I've tried other readers and can't seem to do Title and Author searches on the Gutenberg Press database. I have three books that I had downloaded and was getting around to read them when I had time.. Now I can't because stanza is toast :(

robwdaddy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jwt873 said:
I used Stanza and I'm missing it.. It was nothing special as far as a reader goes.. I could probably be happy with most of the other readers out there, But Stanza let me search different databases for books.. This includes the Gutenberg Press for some of the old free classics. I've tried other readers and can't seem to do Title and Author searches on the Gutenberg Press database. I have three books that I had downloaded and was getting around to read them when I had time.. Now I can't because stanza is toast :(

Megareader has Gutenberg press and a few others. Try it you'll like it.

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Megareader has Gutenberg press and a few others. Try it you'll like it.

I just took a peek at the screenshots and reviews on the app store.. It can search individual databases and they do include the Gutenberg Press, so it looks like it will fill the bill.. Thanks.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, and one of the neat things about Megareader is that you can hook your Calibre2OPDS catalog (that ties into Calibre, a free e-book management software) to it so you can easily browse your own e-books. Or, at least, that's what I've done. YMMV

As I'm the type who only puts one book at a time on her iPad, Megareader works perfectly for me. It allows me to download my own book right to the reader. Plus, there's the access to a whole bunch of free book sites...

It's my most recent "find" of apps - can't say enough good about it.

Marilyn

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yeah, and one of the neat things about Megareader is that you can hook your Calibre2OPDS catalog (that ties into Calibre, a free e-book management software) to it so you can easily browse your own e-books. Or, at least, that's what I've done. YMMV

As I'm the type who only puts one book at a time on her iPad, Megareader works perfectly for me. It allows me to download my own book right to the reader. Plus, there's the access to a whole bunch of free book sites...

It's my most recent "find" of apps - can't say enough good about it.

Marilyn

Because there is currently no trial of Megareader, Quickreader Lite by the same company is essentially the same core application that will give people an idea if MegaReader is for them or not.

guthrien

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Marilyn, did you upgrade to 5?

I'll have to try this Megareader, Blufire was not a fit for me.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
No, my iPad1 is still on 4.3.3 with it's jailbreak. I have iOS 5 on the iPhone. And I can attest that Stanza is definitely broke on iOS 5.

Finding a new ereader app is a preemptive strike as I expect to move up to iOS 5 on the iPad eventually. Hence, the search for a new ereader app...

Marilyn

guthrien

iPF Noob
Reaction score
"Awesome Reader" is free on iTunes right now. Bills itself as a read or play anything off a client app. Haven't tried it yet.

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
"Awesome Reader" is free on iTunes right now. Bills itself as a read or play anything off a client app. Haven't tried it yet.

I tried this last night with an epub. Works decent enough but you need to tap to bring up the menu and then tap page left or right to change the page each time. Alternatively you can scroll the screen down to read more. Seems to format the text well enough and definitely worth picking up for free for it's vast file support and server connection facilities but it is no viable ebook reader alternative for me at the moment. This could change though if they flesh it out a bit more with tap regions for page turns and font sizing that still retains individual pages and not turn it into a vertical scrolling document.
I would say this could turn out to be a real alternative to GoodReader.

Most reactions