What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Black Boxes around custom icons

LukkyB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys - I'm a designer taking my first step into creating Themes for jailbroken iOS devices. So far the threads in the community have helped me out quite a bit - thanks!

One problem I'm having, however, that I can't find a solution to are these black boxes around custom icons that I'm creating. As you can see the Camera.app worked fine - but Facebook is showing this box around it. Any ideas on how I can get rid of this?

icons_zpsc1b97d47.jpg

Any help would be appreciated.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Take a look at your icon mask or overlay files. It looks to me as if your new icon is not blocking Apple's standard icon overlay (which is why you can see the black square). You've got to build an image that will mask that black square.

Your camera icon works fine because that IS the image. Stock icons are not affected by theming/masks - which is why you have to theme them individually. The App Store icons, such as Facebook, a the ones that need the masks.

I still don't understand exactly how the white and black work in making masks. I just know that you've got to have two or three masks to get the icons right.

Hopefully, that helps?

Marilyn

Rolleicord

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a question on icons ... its just a tiny query so I don't want to create a new thread.

I have changed my icons for apps like Al-Jazeera and The Onion. They worked fine. Basically, upgrading to retina resolution on my iPad 3 on Ayecon theme.

Next I want to change the Apple Slideshow icon (com.apple.mobileslideshow) in my ipad mini under LeviathanHAZ theme. I have replaced the pngs with my own but I am not getting the theme border effect. Its only showing the small picture. My questions:

- Where is the info.plist located for apple programs on the springboard. (Under what directory shall I look for them)

- When I download the icons using windows SCP, I cannot view them on my pc. I can view them using iFile. I read that there is an optimization on the RGB info done etc etc. Is there a program which can revert the pngs so that they can be viewed on PC and than convert them back for IOS?

- The icon size for the LeviathanHAZ is 73 x 76, but I'm reading that standard size is 72 x 72. I'm using 73 x 76 now and without the IOS RGB conversion. Is this causing the borders to not appear?

- Or there is something else? Help!! :(

Rolleicord

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, I think the apple programs, the borders are already drawn in the icons. Maybe thats why I'm getting a square pic only. For non apple apps, you can take a basic pic, say a plain square facebook icon, and somehow, either in winterboard, the square image is magically altered to include the nice borders. I think ....;)

com.macciti.leviathanhaz3hdforiphone.png

If that's the case, I have to draw my own borders ...:confused:

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, that's right, stock app icons are not themed the same way as App Store icons. You can normally use the icon mask in whatever graphics program you are using to easily add it as a layer.

Rolleicord

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ah so ... Thanks for the reply. Is there a default place where I can find the icon masks? Or its different depending on the themes?

Also is there an info.plist file for apple apps? Thanks again.

Most reactions

Latest posts