What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trouble with Missing Icon

Status
Not open for further replies.

TylerThomas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey,

I'm not sure what happened but after a reboot yesterday the iMessage or "Messages" icon disappeared.

I'll show you what I mean:

image-840674865.jpg
(tap for larger view)

As you can see the third icon in my dock, which is the iMessage icon is blank.

I have these kinds of issues occasionally and normally a respring, a reboot, or a winterboard respring and such will fix the problem. But I tried respringing, rebooting, turning off and then back on, disabling summer board mode then re-enabling it and respringing, disabling my theme and re enabling it then respringing, etc.. Normally one of these methods will solve the problem but for some reason they're not working this time. What's weird is that even when I disabled my theme and all the other icons reverted to stock the iMessage icon still remained blank. I checked the theme's folder too and the icon for it is there.

So, I'm not sure what else to try. I'd appreciate any help you can give.

Thanks.

Sketchie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's likely that the icon cache in your iPad is corrupt and causing "blank" icons. It can happen sometimes after installing/uninstalling tweaks from Cydia.

I use iCleaner to fix the issue. It's free, I believe.

Good luck!

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You can also simply resprimg. The icons will reappear.

Not quite true. A respring will not always rebuild the icon cache. The SBSettings respring for example is not guaranteed to do this, and can be a bit hit and miss as the OP has experienced.

There are 2 methods which are pretty reliable in my experience.

The package in Cydia called "respring" puts and icon on your springboard, which will respring the device. This also has an icon-cache rebuild built in so should fix blank icons.

Also, Springtomize2 has this feature built into it's respring, and also it's "reload settings" code. Both these reliably rebuild the icon cache and fix blank icons.

I think iCleaner works too, but I don't use that since I have springtomize2 :)

OP
T

TylerThomas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sketchie said:
It's likely that the icon cache in your iPad is corrupt and causing "blank" icons. It can happen sometimes after installing/uninstalling tweaks from Cydia.

I use iCleaner to fix the issue. It's free, I believe.

Good luck!

I installed iCleaner and it worked fine.

OP
T

TylerThomas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
f4780y said:
Not quite true. A respring will not always rebuild the icon cache. The SBSettings respring for example is not guaranteed to do this, and can be a bit hit and miss as the OP has experienced.

There are 2 methods which are pretty reliable in my experience.

The package in Cydia called "respring" puts and icon on your springboard, which will respring the device. This also has an icon-cache rebuild built in so should fix blank icons.

Also, Springtomize2 has this feature built into it's respring, and also it's "reload settings" code. Both these reliably rebuild the icon cache and fix blank icons.

I think iCleaner works too, but I don't use that since I have springtomize2 :)

I just used iCleaner. Thanks for the reply.

OP
T

TylerThomas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Problem solved!

This thread can be closed. Thanks for the replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts