What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best video player apps for ipad

Menneisyys

iPF Noob
Reaction score
has anyone tried player extreme hd ? I activated the add-ons yesterday for $2.99 it has a x12 sound boost which boosts the sound by up to 12 times the normal sound but still it is not that good compared to playing in Videos. Has anyone else tried it? If anyone knows of any other player which has a higher sound level compared to the stock Videos and supports subtitles please let me know as I don't want to hear headphones when I watch videos or movies.

GoodPlayer has one of the best volume boosting methods BUT it only works with non-hardware-accelerated playback, ruling out MOV / MP4 / M4V files entirely (if you want to play them in hardware because, for example, they're hi-res videos).

Other choices if you want seamless hardware playback support:

- jailbreak and use XBMC, its volume booster is also OK
- wait for the next version of "It's Playing", the next version to hit the AppStore in a few days will have seamless HW decoding with volume boost.

newbie_biker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry but what do you mean by non-hardware accelerated ? i mostly use mp4 and sometimes flv, mkv, and rmvb.

Menneisyys

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry but what do you mean by non-hardware accelerated ? i mostly use mp4 and sometimes flv, mkv, and rmvb.

The iPad can play back any MOV / MP4 / M4V files using its hardware capabiities, which means orders of magnitude better speed and lower battery usage. This is you will ALWAYS want to use a player that makes use of it. (Not all of them do.)

Last edited:

vanilla_parfait

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use AVPlayerHD. I had trouble using it the first time (didn't know how to put the movie files in and how to sync subtitles), but I love it now :)

scottnsf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
been an ipad user since first 3G version issued. most players i've tried have been ok to good. low sound level seems common to all...at least low w/o phones/earbuds so i got a logitech bluetooth miniboombox for high volume & quality and love it!!!!!
i like and use all of these -- azul and vlc, are fine but so are avplayerhd, playerxtreme, and gplayer which also allow for wi-fi transfer. i have as yet to find a movie i can not play on at least one of the above satisfactorily. and back to the volume issue, i still carry a little $20 wired speaker for when i need just a bit more volume and quaLity isn't an issue.

Menneisyys

iPF Noob
Reaction score
been an ipad user since first 3G version issued. most players i've tried have been ok to good. low sound level seems common to all...at least low w/o phones/earbuds so i got a logitech bluetooth miniboombox for high volume & quality and love it!!!!!
i like and use all of these -- azul and vlc, are fine but so are avplayerhd, playerxtreme, and gplayer which also allow for wi-fi transfer. i have as yet to find a movie i can not play on at least one of the above satisfactorily. and back to the volume issue, i still carry a little $20 wired speaker for when i need just a bit more volume and quaLity isn't an issue.

I assume you only play back SD (standard definition) content.

Menneisyys

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use AVPlayerHD. I had trouble using it the first time (didn't know how to put the movie files in and how to sync subtitles), but I love it now :)

Yup, AVPlayerHD is excellent. It's only lately that, for strictly (full) HD playback, some players start to be significantly better at MKV / MOV playback. (See the latest BUZZ Player and It's Playing versions.)

moutzu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yup, AVPlayerHD is excellent. It's only lately that, for strictly (full) HD playback, some players start to be significantly better at MKV / MOV playback. (See the latest BUZZ Player and It's Playing versions.)

Is there a free version of It's Playing app where I can download for my iPad and iPhone?

Menneisyys

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nope. However, if you mostly want MP4 (not MKV! Again, It's Playing stutters a bit and you still want to try remuxing first instead of using any non-jailbroken player), it's a safe buy.

moutzu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nope. However, if you mostly want MP4 (not MKV! Again, It's Playing stutters a bit and you still want to try remuxing first instead of using any non-jailbroken player), it's a safe buy.

Actually I just want to view some FLV videos in my iPad. Since there is no free It's Playing app, what is your view of this 8Player Lite? Will this Player meet my need? Or an alternative better Player you may want to suggest which I will be very appreciative.

Temp45

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was frustrated by the poor performance of the video apps; however, the search is over.

I bought AVplayerHD monthes ago , performance is not that outstanding. It could not play my 720p video smoothly. it really distract the experience. It was very irritating. I started searching for other options and do not seem to find a better alternative.

Recently, I just updated AVplayerHD and I am amazed by its improved performance. All the video that had frame rate problem are playing smoothly !!!!!!! I am satisfied.

Give it a try, the recent updates actually brought improvement to performance.

Menneisyys

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd advise against FlexPlayer - it's pretty weak.

The new (2.0.3) version is much better than the previous ones. Let me cite myself (no links, sorry):

The last time I've discussed FlexPlayer I've published a very bad review of the player, telling everyone to stay away. After a huuuge, long-promised update today, I've re-tested the app to find out whether it's any better than before. As it has turned out: much better and, in some (but not all!) cases (video file types), it can be THE most recommended free player.

The good:

- the H.264 software decoder is indeed way-way better than before. In previous versions, only the first frame is shown of the standard Monsters video encoded at 1080p using H.264 in a MKV container. Now, the test video is played back with around 5-10 fps. It is still slower than the software decoder of AVPlayerHD. (Speaking of AVPlayerHD and its recently-received MKV / AVI hardware playback support, there is nothing like that in FP. That is, it's still not recommended for MKV playback, as opposed to AVPlayerHD.)

- quick repositioning (see article HERE for more info) is implemented in a much better way: now, you can just swipe left/right (instead of trying to touch some icons) and, instead of 60 second steps, now 30 seconds are skipped, which is much better.

- MPEG2 support is way better. 1080i60 HD content is played back at a much higher speed. While the previous versions were totally useless for playing them back (demo video HERE), the new version plays it with almost the same speed as the players I've listed HERE.

- decent scrubbing (repositioning) is implemented in a way it should be done: the repositioning speed depends on the vertical position of your finger and the current (target) frame is also shown. All this in both software and hardware(!) decoding modes.

- you can quickly (with two/three taps) fine-tune the audio / video synchronization. This is pretty rare among players, let alone free ones. Unfortunately, you can't do the same to subtitles.

- There is better SSA / ASS subtitle support (SRT was supported in earlier versions too). For example, the ASS subtitles of the standard Suzumiya test video are no longer messed up (they were in previous versions). Nevertheless, they're only shown textually and in no way animated (as can XBMC and HD Player Pro (used to be ATK Player by Khoa Tran Anh)).

- play-audio-in-background has also been implemented. Works for both SW and HW-decoded videos but can't be disabled.

The bad:

- The MSMPEG4 support (see the Buck Bunny 1080p MSMPEG-4 AVI video) is, while much better than earlier (back then, not a single frame(!) was shown), still definitely worse than that of the top players (My quick list of them is HERE).

- Still no DVB TS subtitle support (actually, the playback generally just crashes when you try to switch between subtitle tracks with the newly-introduced single up/down swipes) or any support for audio file formats.

- There's absolutely no way to switch audio or subtitle tracks during either hardware playback with multiple audio / subtitle tracks

- While the app does support subtitles, you won't be able to access them during hardware playback (that is, those of MP4 / M4V / MOV files).

- The app very frequently crashes. Not only when you try to quickly rewind 30 seconds after starting a title, but also sometimes right during playback.

Verdict

Well, a player that previously was absolutely bad and in no way recommended, now, has earned my (conditional) recommendation.

Now, if you're looking for a decent hardware MP4 / M4V / MOV player or software MPEG-2 DVB player and the above-listed cons (for example, total lack of DVB or hardware playback subtitle or audio track change support) aren't a problem, you can safely give this app a try. It has some features (quick rewind / fast forward with swiping; iTunes File Sharing transfer) that make it a way better choice than the built-in Videos – and it's free! Unfortunately, few free(!) apps support such a wide array of niceties like swipe-based quick rewind/fast forward, MP4 / M4V / MOV hardware playback or Retina screen support in one app. If these are what you look for, this app is now a decent alternative.

Nevertheless, don't forget: for software playback, the best players (even the free QQPlayerHD!) deliver sometimes way better performance. You, therefore, don't necessarily want to use this player for, say, MSMPEG4 HD playback (MPEG-2 DVB is another question; now, it's pretty good). The same stands for supporting subtitles, several audio tracks etc, in which the app still severely lacks in both hardware MP4 / M4V / MOV playback and some lesser-used, software-decoded formats like DVB TS files.

rki

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Purchased Oplayer, Buzzplayer, AVPlayerHD, CineXPlayer and Goodplayer.

My favourite is AVPlayerHD and Buzzplayer.

Still waiting for a player that can upload files to my seagate goflex satellite without using other apps such as Goodreader. That will then be the perfect app for me!

Beherith

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As for me VM Player is the best - supports a lot of formats and directly(!) playing from network share via SMB, FTP, UPnP. Waiting for 1.7 app update - they promise smb file uploading and playing music directly from iTunes library.

Most reactions