What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Battery charging issue

ipadluva69

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree. I noticed when trying to charge the iPad with the iPhone charger it took me like 13-16 hours I was like Wow? But I switched and used the right charger and it took only 5 hours. And the battery seems to have an extended life.

cakueayam said:
Try using proper ipad charger and plug it in into wall charger. Mine take 7hr approxnto charge

MODERATION: This post has been edited, please mind your language.....this is a Family Forum

Lavada

Last edited by a moderator:

Bosvaark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree. I noticed when trying to charge the iPad with the iPhone charger it took me like 13-16 hours I was like WTF? But I switched and used the right charger and it took only 5 hours. And the battery seems to have an extended life.

Lavada

Don't use the iPhone charger it is underpowered for the IPad and will damage it eventually.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Bosvaark said:
Don't use the iPhone charger it is underpowered for the IPad and will damage it eventually.

It won't damage your iPad to use the iPhone charger,it will just take much longer than the proper charger does to complete a charge.

Bosvaark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
scifan57 said:
It won't damage your iPad to use the iPhone charger,it will just take much longer than the proper charger does to complete a charge.

Correction on a possible misunderstanding:
I'm talking about the iPhone charger getting damaged not the iPad as it has a lower power rating 5W /1amp, it stands to reason it will get hotter and may not last for very long.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Bosvaark said:
Correction on a possible misunderstanding:
I'm talking about the iPhone charger getting damaged not the iPad as it has a lower power rating 5W /1amp, it stands to reason it will get hotter and may not last for very long.

Look at this article, it says that you can use the iPhone charger to charge your iPad. Charging will just take longer
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4060

ipadluva69

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks again!

scifan57 said:

Lavada

theTimo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A couple of notifications:

When comparing the original and the new iPads, the original had both smaller-capacity battery and lower-resolution screen. These two combined, the charging time is obviously longer (because of the bigger battery) and the draining is faster (because of the much higher screen resolution). The screen in this size is easily the number one battery eater. The rest of the features come long behind it what comes to battery usage. Especially if you use applications that need to update the screen rapidly, like games or videos. Even web-surfing eats the battery way more than in the original iPad.

And what comes to charger, I was advised not to use the iPhone charger. If you plug the phone charger into the pad and continue to use it while it's plugged, the battery might even drain instead of charge. The differences between phone chargers and pad chargers are so big, what comes the power.

My iPad (the new one) takes about 5-6 hours to get charged from 10% to full. And with a moderate surfing and occasional gaming, it needs charging usually every second day (night).

coolstuffs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have original Ipad and IPad3. Original takes approx 3 hours to charge from 10% remaining and once charged can be used all day and only drops down to approx 25% - 30%

The IPad3 on average is taking between 14 - 16 hours to charge and only has a life of approx 3 hours max.

I make sure that there are no apps running in background. I am using the correct 10V charger and cable

I would be interested to hear if anyone else has this problem.

I have been in touch with Apple but the person dealing with me is on hols for a few days

Are there typos in your thread above? My charger is a 10Watts 5.1 volts 2.1 Amperes unit.

Bennettb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't remember which cord, charger?, is which with all the iPad, iphone back and forth with family. How do you tell the difference?

Bobbi

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Bennettb said:
I don't remember which cord, charger?, is which with all the iPad, iphone back and forth with family. How do you tell the difference?

Bobbi

This is the iPad charger.

image-3687749142.jpg

The second photo shows both chargers with the iPhone charger on the left.

image-2141698183.jpg

Last edited:

maxtwo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
coolstuffs said:
Are there typos in your thread above? My charger is a 10Watts 5.1 volts 2.1 Amperes unit.

I have been charging my new iPad at 20% since I got it .But just let it run to empty for first and charged .it hold 100% now much longer.and runs longer all together.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Bobbi

Look at the white charger. The iPad one, at the top, says "10W USB Power Adapter." Then, at the very end, it'll read "Output: 5.1V ... 2.1 A." Even better - here's a picture of the iPad charger:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341319743.827003.jpg

Hope this clarifies.

Marilyn

coolstuffs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have original Ipad and IPad3. Original takes approx 3 hours to charge from 10% remaining and once charged can be used all day and only drops down to approx 25% - 30%

The IPad3 on average is taking between 14 - 16 hours to charge and only has a life of approx 3 hours max.

I make sure that there are no apps running in background. I am using the correct 10V charger and cable

I would be interested to hear if anyone else has this problem.

I have been in touch with Apple but the person dealing with me is on hols for a few days

The ipad 3 has a 42.5 W-H battery whereas the Ipad has a 25 W-H battery. Assuming both have the same 10 W rating adapter, Ipad 3 will need 4 - 5 hours of charging (42.5/10 ~5 hours) compared to 2 - 3 hours of charging (25/10 ~ 3 hours) for the Ipad.

Verndog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anyone know if you can charge the iphone with the ipad 10w charger without causing possible damage to the iphone? I have a 3G model.

Most reactions

Latest posts