Battery charging issue

Discussion in 'iPad 3 Forum' started by ianb59, May 10, 2012.

1. ianb59

ianb59
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Just to update concerning battery charging issue. Apple agreed there is a known issue with battery charging and replaced the unit. Having received new unit charged at 100% I used for approx 3 hours and battery drained to 8%. After 4 hours charging it reached 23%, however I had to stop charging as it became extremely hot, not just very warm but almost too hot to touch. Have put on charge again today and after 3 hours has increased by 5%. Battery once again very hot. Have brightness turned down and location off.

Waiting for Apple to comment

2. Wolfpuppies3

Wolfpuppies3
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Bizarre, sounds like they have not identified your problem yet. I have had the iPad, iPad2 and now the New iPad. This one charges fully in a bit over 4 hours from close to flat discharged. The battery lasts routinely 9-10 hours reading every evening for an hour or two, checking email throughout, and casual web surfing. Watching movies on it will drain the battery a bit quicker.

3. CoreDump

CoreDump
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I have read that the New Ipad battery display shows 100% when the tablet is actually only 90% charged, after 5 1/2 hours. The Ipad takes another hour or so to make it to a full charge. This gives you extra time on your Ipad. So it appears Apple is fudging the battery indicator so you think it's fully charged at 5 1/2 hours. Seems a bit dishonest.

What's up with that??

4. iDeviceGuru

iDeviceGuru
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Download the 'Battery' app with a blue battery simple as the thumbnail, this tells you everythg you need to know about the battery, usage and how long you will be ale to watch movies and listen to music, if this presents problems then it's for sure a problem with the internal battery, either it has been damaged by poor charging or damaged when dropped.

The iDevice Guru

5. cakueayam

cakueayam
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Try using proper ipad charger and plug it in into wall charger. Mine take 7hr approxnto charge

6. ipadluva69

ipadluva69
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I agree. I noticed when trying to charge the iPad with the iPhone charger it took me like 13-16 hours I was like Wow? But I switched and used the right charger and it took only 5 hours. And the battery seems to have an extended life.

MODERATION: This post has been edited, please mind your language.....this is a Family Forum

Lavada

#16 ipadluva69, Jul 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2012
  7. Bosvaark

Bosvaark
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Don't use the iPhone charger it is underpowered for the IPad and will damage it eventually.

8. ipadluva69

ipadluva69
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Thank you!

Lavada

9. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    It won't damage your iPad to use the iPhone charger,it will just take much longer than the proper charger does to complete a charge.

10. Bosvaark

Bosvaark
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Correction on a possible misunderstanding:
    I'm talking about the iPhone charger getting damaged not the iPad as it has a lower power rating 5W /1amp, it stands to reason it will get hotter and may not last for very long.