What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Battery charging issue

ianb59

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have original Ipad and IPad3. Original takes approx 3 hours to charge from 10% remaining and once charged can be used all day and only drops down to approx 25% - 30%

The IPad3 on average is taking between 14 - 16 hours to charge and only has a life of approx 3 hours max.

I make sure that there are no apps running in background. I am using the correct 10V charger and cable

I would be interested to hear if anyone else has this problem.

I have been in touch with Apple but the person dealing with me is on hols for a few days

karthikdoc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But my ipad 3 charges from 5% to 100% in 5hrs and the charge stands for 7-8hrs on continuous usage wifi on.

petermillard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Something wrong here. The New iPad definitely drains faster than the original iPad - and takes longer to charge - but you should be getting way more than 3 hours use out of it. Try letting your new iPad run down completely - literally, until it shuts itself down - then charge it overnight; this made a big difference to our new iPads.

Charging our iPads takes around 4-5 hours; are you sure you're not using an iPod/iPhone charger by mistake?

OP
I

ianb59

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have let it drain completely 3 times and the quickest re charge was 14 hours with 2 1/2 usage. I am definitely using correct correct charger as I was guided by Apple telephone support to make sure.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Are you running the screen on max brightness why using it and charging it?

OP
I

ianb59

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple have decided to take the unit back for testing, it will either be repaired or replaced. Thanks for help

hermand

iPF Noob
Reaction score
my ipad2 says "not charging" when i plug it into the wall charger that it came with

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
hermand said:
my ipad2 says "not charging" when i plug it into the wall charger that it came with

Does it have a full charge?

OP
I

ianb59

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just to update concerning battery charging issue. Apple agreed there is a known issue with battery charging and replaced the unit. Having received new unit charged at 100% I used for approx 3 hours and battery drained to 8%. After 4 hours charging it reached 23%, however I had to stop charging as it became extremely hot, not just very warm but almost too hot to touch. Have put on charge again today and after 3 hours has increased by 5%. Battery once again very hot. Have brightness turned down and location off.

Waiting for Apple to comment

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bizarre, sounds like they have not identified your problem yet. I have had the iPad, iPad2 and now the New iPad. This one charges fully in a bit over 4 hours from close to flat discharged. The battery lasts routinely 9-10 hours reading every evening for an hour or two, checking email throughout, and casual web surfing. Watching movies on it will drain the battery a bit quicker.

CoreDump

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have read that the New Ipad battery display shows 100% when the tablet is actually only 90% charged, after 5 1/2 hours. The Ipad takes another hour or so to make it to a full charge. This gives you extra time on your Ipad. So it appears Apple is fudging the battery indicator so you think it's fully charged at 5 1/2 hours. Seems a bit dishonest.

What's up with that??

iDeviceGuru

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Download the 'Battery' app with a blue battery simple as the thumbnail, this tells you everythg you need to know about the battery, usage and how long you will be ale to watch movies and listen to music, if this presents problems then it's for sure a problem with the internal battery, either it has been damaged by poor charging or damaged when dropped.

The iDevice Guru

cakueayam

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try using proper ipad charger and plug it in into wall charger. Mine take 7hr approxnto charge

Most reactions

Latest posts