1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Apple Mobile Device (Recovery Mode)

Discussion in 'iPad Help' started by Aninix, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Aninix

Aninix iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi,

I have an ipad2, new 2 weeks old. It was working fine until I decided to download next latest version of itunes. I also decided to download the Mobile software which I´d unistalled previously as was having probs. Received error 1601 after itunes download and then got Apple Mobile Device Recovery mode. Couldn´t find software, then I was told to install a disc which I don´t have. The ipad is now showing the cable and itunes symbol and that´s it. I restarted computer. Tried holding down power and home buttons on ipad and reconnecting but nothing. Just message saying that unable to find software.

Sorry to be a bit vague with error messages but all in spanish and I don´t know the English terminology! Also am a complete NOOB.

Any suggestions as to what I should do?

Thanks in advance.
  2. Mickey330

Mickey330 Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,743 / 0
    Sounds as if you have a bad iOS install and you have an iPad that needs to be restored. So, go to this post (http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/24939-official-apple-ios-firmware-download-links-ipad.html) and find your iPad version (WiFi only, 3G, etc.).

Then, download the iOS 4.3.3 software for it (put the download somewhere you'll remember). It HAS to be the iOS 4.3.3 software ...

*Note two things: (1) I'm assuming you are using a Windows machine and (2) if you are, make sure the file downloads as an .ipsw file. If Windows changes the file extension, just change it back (and, do NOT unzip it).

Then open iTunes, connect the iPad and press shift while selecting Restore. You will be prompted to choose an .ispw file, browse to the downloaded one and select it. Let iTunes do its magic. The iPad should finish installing the firmware and then ask you if you want to restore as new or from backup. Choose your option and then, when it's done, you're done.

Please let us know if that helps - or if it doesn't and we need to work on it more.

Marilyn
  3. Aninix

Aninix iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi Marilyn,

I will try what you suggest. As an update. The ipad is in recovery mode and I´ve tried to restore it but keep getting error code 1601. I have unistalled itunes and all its components and then reinstalled it and still cannot restore the ipad. Anyway, I will do as you suggest and let you know how I get on.

Thank you for your advice.
  4. Aninix

Aninix iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi Marilyn,
    By the way, I have Windows. It´s going to take me about 2 hours to download. It´s already 3am and I´ve 3 kids to wake up in the morning so will do it tomorrow when I can. Thanks once again.
  5. Aninix

Aninix iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Downloaded the appropriate software for my ipad. Windows did change the file extension and I changed it back to an .ipsw file. I did not unzip it.
    I opened up Itunes, connected the ipad and pressed shift while selecting restore. It still will NOT restore. It tells me it cannot be restored and gives me the usual 1601 error. I tried to restore it twice and same thing.

Oh! one thing, after I selected shift to restore I was not prompted to choose an .ipsw file, I just went ahead and found the file and selected it.

Any more advice would be greatly appreciated from anyone.

Thanks
  6. Rokrdude2

Rokrdude2 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    What version of ipad you have ?note there are different downloads for 3g versions and wifi version.Further 3g version is divided into 2 categories

If nothing works you could try installing in DFU mode
    http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/27489-dfu-mode-dummies.html
  7. Mickey330

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,743 / 0
    Thanks, Rokrdude2, that's what I was going to have tried next.

Let us know how the DFU method works, Aninix. And don't worry, you don't have to jail break to use these DFU directions, or after. This is a standard way to put your iPad back into "out-of-the-box" newness...

Marilyn
  8. Aninix

Aninix iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I only have the wi fi version and I downloaded the appropriate software for wi fi only.

I will try installing in dfu mode and get back. Thanks for your help.
  9. Aninix

Aninix iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Without realising I was already using the DFU method! when I used the ipad with the cable and itunes symbol nothing worked so I held down the power and home keys together and released and the screen went blank and tried to restore it that way - which is in DFU mode - and still got the same screen error. I tried different USB ports as mentioned and now the ipad isn´t functioning at all. I can´t turn it on. I tried to recharge it (in case battery had run out) - nothing - just black screen. I connect it to the pc and the pc doesn´t recognise it.

A hardware fault would you say???
  10. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +441 / 0
    Every new iPad comes with 90 days of free AppleCare, so you might want to call Apple and have them troubleshoot with you in one go, rather than checking back here for answers back and forth. If they diagnose a hardware problem, they can arrange for an exchange. If you go back and forth here and it turns out to be a hardware problem, Apple will still make you go through its diagnosis before exchanging. It sounds like you're pressed for time, so something to consider. Not sure whether there's an Apple Spain, but you'd probably know that.
  11. Aninix

Aninix iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks - I didn´t know about the 90 days. I purposefully bought the ipad at a reputable store here in Madrid knowing that if problems would occur, I could at least get a complete refund with no questions asked. I won´t be able to exchange it because there is a 2 months´ waiting list! You are right, I am pressed for time and can´t justify much more time on a small gadget that I can honestly live without!

Oh well - I´ve learnt a few things in the process and thanks to all who have been very generous with their time to help me.

Regards,
  12. Aninix

Aninix iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Update - A happy ending :)

Took ipad2 back to store to get refund yesterday. Very kind Apple guy restored my ipad on his laptop. Not sure what he did as was told to go get a coffee and return. Problem solved! So was not hardware. Of course, I came with loads more questions should he fix it!!! Anway, ipad restored, have now got Apple ID without credit card, have set up my email, synced all my stuff, have free telephone access to Apple in Spain for next 3 months and had a blast chatting with my sis in Dublin on Facetime - much better than skype! It was sooo cool nearly dropped the bloddy thing on the floor!

Thanks again to all who have helped x
  13. Mickey330

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,743 / 0
    Awesome!

I am very glad they were able to help. Hope you have a great time "playing" with it (though it seems you already are! :D).

Marilyn

P.S. And thanks for letting us know about the positive outcome, as I always feel bad when the forum, as a whole, can't help. Good endings, no matter who creates them, are always great!
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2011
  14. sumomo

sumomo iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi, I'm having exactly the same trouble but with the new ipad and I haven't tried the first advice yet. Which version of the firmware should I download?

Thanks in andvance.

Sumomo