What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

App called numbers

Momzoo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just bought the numbers app I am trying to widen the cells, cannot find out how. Can I change the font color? Also how can I give a name to my spreadsheet. Like September 2013 trip . I do not see anywhere where I can do the things I have just mentioned.

I would like to do these 3 things hope someone can help me out. Thank youneversomuch.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you tap the wrench icon, then Help, you'll find a manual of sorts you can go through to help you get familiarized with Numbers. You can read pretty much the same thing here in Safari: Apple - Support - iOS Apps - Numbers

To answer you current questions:

Widen cells: When you have a cell selected in the sheet you should see grey bars to the left and above the table. Tap the gray bar above the column you want to widen. The entire column will be boxed in blue. The top will have a thicker tab with a little drag handle symbol to the right. Drag this symbol left or right to change the size of the column. If you drag in the middle of the column instead you can change it's order.

Font Color: Select the cell or cells. You can also select the column or row using the above method. Tap the brush icon and choose the Cells tab in the controls. The Text Options will let you change the font, size and color of text for the selected cells.

Change the spreadsheet name: You need to be in the document view, where you see all you documents as thumbnails. Tap the name of the spreadsheet (under the thumbnail) and you be prompted to rename it. You can also rename the tabs in the open document. Double tap it and the cursor appears in the name of the tab, allowing you to edit it.

Last edited:
OP
M

Momzoo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You have been most helpful. Thank you very much. One more little question for you and I will be done. Now that I have made my spreadsheet as I like, I sent it to my PC so I could print it and nothing works, is it because I do not have Numbers on my PC? Is there a way that I can print it? thank you again

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If all you want to do is print, then use the PDF option when sending the spreadsheet.

If you need to actually edit and print in Excel or an Excel compatible app use the Excel export option. The Numbers option is only compatible with itself on iOS and the Mac OS X version.

OP
M

Momzoo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I try to print it in PDF it is very small how can I print it to fill a sheet of paper. if that is possible

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
When I try to print it in PDF it is very small how can I print it to fill a sheet of paper. if that is possible

Hi Momzoo - when you select the 'Share and Print' option, a number of choices are offered, one is to email the spreadsheet in one of three formats as discussed previously, while the other is 'Print' - in the latter, a blue 'Print Preview' page appears and at the bottom choices include portrait vs. landscape format, a slider for size adjustment, and an auto fit selection. However, to print from this preview page a wireless (i.e. Wi-Fi) connection to an 'Air Print' printer is needed. You might want to tells us whether you have a wireless printing option vs. emailing the spreadsheet to you and then printing it from your computer? Good luck - Dave :)

OP
M

Momzoo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Dave, I am emailing the spreadsheet to myself and then printing it from my computer. So I understand now that I must have new wireless printer. Emailing to my laptop does not seem to work at all. Thank you for all of your help, Rae

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Dave, I am emailing the spreadsheet to myself and then printing it from my computer. So I understand now that I must have new wireless printer. Emailing to my laptop does not seem to work at all. Thank you for all of your help, Rae

Hi Rae - well if you are in the market for a new printer (we bought a new Canon MF Inkjet w/ Air Print built-in in the spring) which allows wireless printing w/ both on the same Wi-Fi network; there are also apps that can be put onto your computer attached to an older printer that can mimic Air Print (check HERE if not familiar w/ this Apple technology) - some more information about non-Air Print printers HERE - I used FingerPrint​ on my old PC to print to my aged Canon printer before getting a new iMac & printer; so a number of options - good luck & let us know your solution(s) - Dave :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hm, the PDF auto-sizes to what it thinks will look best.

You can try resizing your table in Numbers.

By using the pinch gesture you can zoom in-out of your spreadsheet. Try zooming out a bit. Tap the table so the boarders appear. Tap the big dot that appears at the top left of the table. The table should now have some blue dots (drag handles) around the edges. Drag the dot at the bottom right to make the table larger.

This enlarges everything, cell sizes, fonts, etc.

Now try to share the PDF again and see if that helps.

The print options is actually a good choice. You don't have to buy a new printer. You could get either FingerPrint or Printopia (Mac OS X Only) and install it on your home computer. This allows your computer to pretend to be an AirPrint printer, giving you the ability to print to any printer that the computer can use. As a bonus you can also print to folders.

The second could be important in you case. The Print output of the iPad is PDF; however, unlike the PDF share option you get some control over how the table is positioned and sized when you print. Not a lot of control, but enough to at least make sure it's big enough before you waste paper.

From and older post:

Another method is to load a program on the computer that will emulate an AirPrint compatible printer. Your computer must be on and have the printer available to it. The cheapest (free) is Airprint Activator. More features can be had with FingerPrint (mac and windows) and Printopia (mac only).

Printopia - Ecamm Network
FingerPrint - Collobos Software
How to Install AirPrint Activator for Windows?

Edit: I should have finished reading Giradman's posts. He already told you most of this.

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hm, the PDF auto-sizes to what it thinks will look best.

By using the pinch gesture you can zoom in-out of your spreadsheet. Try zooming out a bit. Tap the table so the boarders appear. Tap the big dot that appears at the top left of the table. The table should now have some blue dots (drag handles) around the edges. Drag the dot at the bottom right to make the table larger.

This enlarges everything, cell sizes, fonts, etc.

Now try to share the PDF again and see if that helps.

The print options is actually a good choice. You don't have to buy a new printer. You could get either FingerPrint or Printopia (Mac OS X Only) and install it on your home computer. This allows your computer to pretend to be an AirPrint printer, giving you the ability to print to any printer that the computer can use. As a bonus you can also print to folders.

The second could be important in you case. The Print output of the iPad is PDF; however, unlike the PDF share option you get some control over how the table is positioned and sized when you print. Not a lot of control, but enough to at least make sure it's big enough before you waste paper.......

Hi TP - thanks for the additional information - have not given the email choices a try yet but should certainly work. However, out of curiosity since I'm no longer using FingerPrint, made a visit to the Collobos Website HERE - and the app seems to have been phased out there - they are offering a new product called Presto - problem seems to be a $2 monthly rate fee rather than just a 'one time' purchase - a little irritating for a home user - Dave :)

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi TP - thanks for the additional information - have not given the email choices a try yet but should certainly work. However, out of curiosity since I'm no longer using FingerPrint, made a visited the Collobos Website HERE - and the app seems to have been phased out there - they are offering a new product called Presto - problem seems to be a $2 monthly rate fee rather than just a 'one time' purchase - a little irritating for a home user - Dave :)

Well darn. There's still AirPrint Activator I suppose. It doesn't have any of the nice extras, but should work for basic printing. Here's a more up-to-date set of instructions for it: Install AirPrint for Windows The Easy WayJaxov

I'll have to keep an eye out to see if anyone's taken the space Collobos left open.

Printopia is still in business, though they've added a more expensive enterprise solution as well as the original app. But, it only works on OS X.

Thanks for catching that. I've been saying I needed to update my information on the state of iOS printing, and this shows my how very far behind I've fallen. *sigh*

OP
M

Momzoo

iPF Noob
Reaction score

This enlarges everything, cell sizes, fonts, etc. I must be blind or dumb but this tap the table for blue dot to appear does not happen with me. I do see the whole spreadsheet boxed in like when you want to make changes, but when I try to drag the bottom right it does not drag. it does mot move.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
When you've tapped something on the table and the two gray bars appear above and to the left, at the top left next to them should be a big gray dot. Tap that. This selects the entire table and the smaller blue dot drag handles will appear in the usual paces.

image-2004026058.jpg

You can also drag that big gray dot to reposition the table.

OP
M

Momzoo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I want to thank all of you for helping me out with my project. Everything is just fine, I was able to print the excel spreadsheet exactly the way I wanted. It was a lot of work for me but with your help I succeeded. I want to know if it is possible to make a template of this spreadsheet now that I have all my margins, spacing and font and font colors and all that jazz done I do not want to lose this. This spreadsheet is a Travelling Expenses xls. I live in Quebec Canada, and every fall we drive down to Pompano Beach FL for the winter so this sheet is very handy for me. Thank you all once again, you are the greatest forum ever!

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I want to thank all of you for helping me out with my project. Everything is just fine, I was able to print the excel spreadsheet exactly the way I wanted. It was a lot of work for me but with your help I succeeded. I want to know if it is possible to make a template of this spreadsheet now that I have all my margins, spacing and font and font colors and all that jazz done I do not want to lose this. This spreadsheet is a Travelling Expenses xls. I live in Quebec Canada, and every fall we drive down to Pompano Beach FL for the winter so this sheet is very handy for me. Thank you all once again, you are the greatest forum ever!

Hi Rae - well, I'm not sure that you can save this as a template but you certainly can email or export the spreadsheet (SS): 1) Bring up your spreadsheets, press Edit (right upper corner), then select the SS desired - next hit the box w/ the arrow (left upper corner) and choose an option; or 2) Open the SS, press the 'Wrench' and select 'Email Spreadsheet' - either way you have a copy.

BTW, wife & I have been to Quebec 3-4 times, mainly the city and near environs (it's a BIG province for those who do not know!) - now, that is quite a DRIVE! We have visited FL annually for decades (and in the past twice a year when my wife's parents lived in Delray Beach) - now we do a yearly spring trip - last year to Naples on the West coast - Dave :)

Most reactions

Latest posts