What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anti add recommended software for ipad and IMac

cyclewalkbob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,
I recently downloaded an app for lists, then downloaded software for my imac which then infected safari with constant adds.
It did not get to my iPad and my only way of curing it was by a rebuild from time machine.

Does anyone recomend an add protection/ removal tool/app/software for an iPad and imac?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi,
I recently downloaded an app for lists, then downloaded software for my imac which then infected safari with constant adds.
It did not get to my iPad and my only way of curing it was by a rebuild from time machine.

Does anyone recomend an add protection/ removal tool/app/software for an iPad and imac?

Hello - as you likely know, the iPad runs on iOS while your iMac uses OS X (just updated to Yosemite 10.10.3 - if not already done, then recommended). In my experience, iOS seems much less susceptible to browser malware (e.g. pop ups, browser hijacks, ransomware, etc.) than OS X, so let me just address the latter - and keep in mind that this has nothing to do w/ viruses, worms, Trojans and other non-browser malware - none of these malicious items are 'in the wild' for OS X at the moment.

SO, onto just OS X and browser malware which seem to have been your problem - I'm also a member of the MacForums, and browser hijacking, pop up ads, and ransomware (the worst IMO) is a constant question - I've generated a list of steps (all may not be needed) to try to remove these annoyances - now this listing is based on suggestions from many experienced members there - next time this happens to you, give these a try rather that restoring from Time Machine - often takes just a minute or two to rid yourself from these 'criminals' - good luck. Dave :)

Ransomware Removal
  1. Force quit Safari.
  2. Turn off your Wi-Fi or disconnect the ethernet cable.
  3. Reopen Safari and close the offending tab(s).
  4. Clear ‘History & Data’ in the Safari menu.
  5. Reconnect to internet, i.e. Wi-Fi or ethernet cable.
  6. Add ‘extensions’: AdBlock & Ghostery.
  7. Use AdwareMedic for malware removal.
  8. Visit http://www.thesafemac.com.

OP
C

cyclewalkbob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello - as you likely know, the iPad runs on iOS while your iMac uses OS X (just updated to Yosemite 10.10.3 - if not already done, then recommended). In my experience, iOS seems much less susceptible to browser malware (e.g. pop ups, browser hijacks, ransomware, etc.) than OS X, so let me just address the latter - and keep in mind that this has nothing to do w/ viruses, worms, Trojans and other non-browser malware - none of these malicious items are 'in the wild' for OS X at the moment.

SO, onto just OS X and browser malware which seem to have been your problem - I'm also a member of the MacForums, and browser hijacking, pop up ads, and ransomware (the worst IMO) is a constant question - I've generated a list of steps (all may not be needed) to try to remove these annoyances - now this listing is based on suggestions from many experienced members there - next time this happens to you, give these a try rather that restoring from Time Machine - often takes just a minute or two to rid yourself from these 'criminals' - good luck. Dave :)

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks so much everyone- great info

Hi Bob - hope that we helped 'a little' - as to iOS, some of my previous comments will also apply to Safari on that device (assume that is the browser you use?) - i.e. if browser malware appears, then Safari can be 'Forced Closed' - you can disconnect from the internet and Safari history can be deleted in the app w/ the tabs closed and/or in Settings, and then re-connect.

Also, for those who like to browse 'dangerous' web sites - :cool: (not a recommendation, so I'm 'neutral' here) - I would suggest adding a few extra alternate browsers and use those apps - if you run into a sticky situation, then simply delete the app and re-DL it - simple! Dave :)

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
On iOS, a proxy app called Weblock virtually eliminates ads--including ones linked to malware--from appearing in your browser, and even from within ad-supported apps.

Gtatler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
On iOS, a proxy app called Weblock virtually eliminates ads--including ones linked to malware--from appearing in your browser, and even from within ad-supported apps.
Yes. And it does a fantastic job.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Latest posts