What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad no longer connects remotely to my iMac

Paulyboy69

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got Splashetop Remote Desktop for the iPad the other day and it worked great for a few minutes but then it simply stopped working. It would no longer connect to my iMac remotely. But the worst part of it is now none of the remote apps on my iPad are working either. I'm talking about apps like Air Video, Remote HD, Rowmote, and Mobile Mouse. None of these apps will connect to my Mac anymore when they worked perfectly before. Same goes for the Apple Remote App with home sharing turned on. Interestingly, the same apps still all work perfectly on my iPod Touch (minus Splashtop Remote Desktop) which I don't have for the iPod Touch).

Clearly Splashstop Remote did something to the connection between the iMac and the iPad because everything was working before I tried it for the first time.

I've erased Splashetop Remote from the iPad and uninstalled its server application from the iMac. I even did a full reset of the iPad followed by a restore from a few days ago. Still nothing. Wifi on the iPad has been working fine the entire time as I can surf the web, check email, Twitter, etc... So it's just remote access apps tat won't work anymore even though essentially the same apps on my iPod Touch still do work. Firewall is off and I don't use antivirus software.

It might help to add that all the remote apps on the iPad keep timing out. Also, occasionally Rowmote quickly flashes some sort of "GFL Socker Error" message. It flashes so fast it's impossible to read it so the first part may be wrong. I definitely saw the words Socket and Error though. It's really the only thing I have to go on.

I've also repaired permissions on my iMac.

I would really appreciate it if anybody could provide any help. I've already worked on this issue for a few days and so far the developers of Splashtop Remote hace been no help. I don't know if this is an IOS or OSX issue or both?

-PN

Last edited:

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know it's a pain but when you restore with iTunes, instead of restoring from a backup, set it up as a new iPad. That has worked for me with some other thimgs.

OP
P

Paulyboy69

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know it's a pain but when you restore with iTunes, instead of restoring from a backup, set it up as a new iPad. That has worked for me with some other thimgs.

Thanks for the tip but I already had tried that. I could be wrong but it seems as if it's something on my iMac that's the source of the problem. When I installed and used the Splashtop Remote server application on my iMac it must have altered something somewhere.

It seems the only clue I've gotten is the following message I get from Rowmote on the iPad when trying to connect:

General CFSocket Error

Googling hasn't helped unfortunately. I don't know what to do.

-PN

Most reactions