What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Odd behaviour of iPad and iMac

pfjames

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iMac running OS 10.8.3 and an iPad running I.O.S. version6.1.3.I use the iPad only very occasionally for downloading e-mail. Ireserve that task for the iMac. I'm using IMAP mail administered by my Internet provider.However on those occasions when I do download e-mail onto the iPad, inthe process it somehow writes extra mailboxes to the mail server. These M'boxes appear in the Mail app on the iMac and call themselves"recovered Messages" and "Default".If I delete an e-mail that's on the iPad a M'box called "DeletedMessages" will then appear on my iMac.I have spoken to the local Apple provider who tell me that thisbehaviour is not caused by either the iPad or the iMac.I have spoken to my Internet provider who is adamant that this behaviourin not caused by them, or the actions of the IMAP mail server.So can anyone on this NG throw any light on this behaviour, or maybepoint me in a direction that would throw some light in this?

petefj

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It's probably a mis-match of default folder between your Mac and iPad. I ran into this a few weeks ago. It took a bit of experimenting to clean up.

On the iPad go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars and select your account. Tap on the Account line, then Advanced. Under the Mailbox Behavior open each mail box and see what the default folder is. It can be either on the iPad or on the Server. For consistency I keep mine on the Server.

Since you did not say different, I'm guessing you are using the Mail client on the iMac. If not, the instructions are different, but the general idea is the same.

Choose Preferences from the Main Mail menu. Go to the Accounts tab and choose your account, then the Mailbox Behavior tab. Again you can choose whether the mailboxes are stored locally or on the server. However, you don't choose what that mailbox is.

The easiest thing to do is to send, delete, and create a few drafts to see what mailbox they end up in. Then make sure you chose those mailboxes on the iPad.

However, if you need to change the default mailbox folders in Mail, here is how to do it.

Show your Mailboxes. Under the account's name in the left column, select the folder you want to act as sent, trash, junk, etc. for that account. In the Mailbox menu at the top go to the Use This Mailbox For menu item and choose the appropriate item.

Again, do a few test emails and make sure the emails now go where you want. When you are sure, you can delete the older mail folders. If you want the contents, be sure to select all and move them to the new default folder first.

And be sure to double check your iPad's settings and make sure that the new default folders are selected, and newly deleted, sent, etc emails go to them. And vice-versa, on the iMac when you do stuff on the iPad.

Good luck.

Most reactions