What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another iOS 4.x.x disappointed user

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
IMHO, if the biggest complaint is that it takes a tenth of a second to open a folder in 4.2.1, then Apple has done a fantastic job with this update.

sdf34sdf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I couldn't wait and updated my iPad today.
A lot of cydia stuff is not working right now but I have to say qi love the new iOS!
I like the folders which work fluent, I like the app switcher and I also like the combined inbox. So far so good, I hope the cydia stuff will be updated soon but other than that every things fine!

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It seems like as soon as Apple released this update, otherwise perfectly normal medium-intelligence people LOST THEIR MIND. I have seen more useless complaints in the last 24 hours on this forum than even right after the iPad was released.

1/10th of a second delay??!?!? OH MY GOD! ALERT THE PRESS! CALL YOUR CONGRESSMAN! Or, you could sit back for a second and realize you are being waaayyyyyy too critical of an entire update because of a problem you are perceiving, but bothers virtually no one else.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It seems like as soon as Apple released this update, otherwise perfectly normal medium-intelligence people LOST THEIR MIND. I have seen more useless complaints in the last 24 hours on this forum than even right after the iPad was released.

Hilarious! But true.

Having said that ~

I would be raising all kinds of hell if my iPad went bonkers during or after the update too.

iPadster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well after spending some time with the new update I am pleased with the new features. The folder option alone has allowed me not to have to scroll through 6 screens to find what I was looking for! I think people tend to forget that the iPad has only been out 7 months and with the latest update is very user friendly. The beauty of technology is constant improvement.

George Knighton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The only thing that disappoints me is having to buy Printopia to use a non-HP printer via AirPrint. :)

Otherwise, everything seems logical and seems to be a significant upgrade in line with other iOS products...it's nice that things work the way they work on the iPhone 4, now.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It's a small Mac proggy but tbh with the airprint hack I"ve got both my printers on the network showing up on the iPad and working. One under win7 and the other on osx and neither printer could be called new :)

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't even notice 1/10 second delay. What I did notice was the time I spent swiping through page after page to get to the app I wanted. Or the time spent going to Spotlight to type in the name of the app after I could not find it. I never timed it but I think that was all a lot longer than 1/10 of a second. And my springboard went from 9 to 2 pages. Yay!

Michael

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The only thing I haven't found is a way to kill all background apps. Not necessary but deeply satisfying.

I found this in another thread -

How to close apps in multitasking..
In the app bar on the bottom of the screen you press and hold the app icon until a little red circle with a minus sign appears at the top left corner of the icon. tap the little red minus circle and the app closes.
I think he was wanting to close all apps, not just one at a time.

I use an app for that, SwitcherPlus--alas, it is a jailbreak app but it is free. It greatly increases the capability of the task/app switcher.

When you press and hold an app in the switcher it will now have the usual "-" icon but also one on the bottom with an arrow pointing to the right. Tapping that arrow will close the app, but also all apps to the right of it too. Very handy. If you do it to the first app in the list, all apps are closed.

Better yet I have assigned apps to be excluded from that "mass closure." So they stay in the list unless I close them explicitly (using the "-" icon).

Finally I can have favorite apps that always appear in the switcher on the right... in the order I place them (not practical to have more than just a few). Very handy app... wish you didn't have to be jailbroken to get it.

Michael

And in the process completely defeat the purpose of a fast task switcher. God I hate app killers on systems that don't need them. It just goes back to wasteful windows resource mentality. Ms has taught so many people to fear open apps...even tho on iOS nothing really remains open.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
And in the process completely defeat the purpose of a fast task switcher. God I hate app killers on systems that don't need them. It just goes back to wasteful windows resource mentality. Ms has taught so many people to fear open apps...even tho on iOS nothing really remains open.
Sorry, you are mistaken. Many apps stay open for fast app switching. I can clearly see what is open by viewing currently running processes. Killing the apps removes it from memory.

Yes they are killed if the OS gets low on RAM but I have definitely seen cases where it doesn't happen efficiently enough. Say, Safari will crash if I left everything open but didn't crash if I cleared out RAM first. Moreover, I have seen the OS kill my GPS app--which I NEEDED to run--while leaving unneeded apps still loaded. It's not quite as smart as you might think it is.

Even right now... I have just 20MB free RAM and Cut The Rope and 60 Minutes are still loaded in RAM... even though it's been hours ago since I used those apps. At 20MB free RAM it becomes a struggle for the OS to free up contiguous memory in order for an app that is trying to load to run efficiently. After killing those apps RAM went up to 145MB... and sure enough Safari is running snappier.

I think perhaps you think that fast app switching only involves writing saved-state data and then terminating the app, leaving no trace in RAM. If you are under that assumption it is incorrect.

Michael

hookbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have never seen so many threads with negative titles have so many positive happy people in them. :) If you didn't actually read the threads you would swear that everybody had their iPad bricked.

Most reactions