What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another iOS 4.x.x disappointed user

matt_90036

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wasn't expecting much from the iOS 4 update. All I really wanted was smooth multi tasking and folders. While multitasking still needs to be worked out by more app updates, the folders UI is just horrible. I don't understand why do we need to have a lag when we open each folder. Not to mention that I cant switch between folders but have to go back to the main screen. The worst issue however is the lag when I open each folder. It is one tenth of a second but very annoying. If I really wanted a laggy tablet I should have gone for toshiba.

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I actually feel the complete opposite. I was sure the lag would be horrendous, but I barely notice it. I think Apple did a great job of adding some complex features without degrading the performance.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Got my eleven pages knocked into three with the use of folders.

Really people expect too much from such a small device.
Amonitor shows my pad as having 247mb of total ram with only 34mb of free ram and with several apps suspended.
It's not going to perform like a quadcore with 8gigs....

The only thing I haven't found is a way to kill all background apps. Not necessary but deeply satisfying.

sdf34sdf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys just a quick question regarding 4.2.1
Is it true that apple changed the way you use type the extra vowels (i am german so i have to use the letters ö,ü,ä.... a lot) on the letters from just having to move up your finger to the iPhone way where you have to really wait for the popup to pen and select the specific letter I want?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I, too, have no problems with folders ... and I have 28 of them. I have over 175 apps and with my CDO need for order/organization (has to be CDO, as OCD is out of sequence/order!), having these folders is great. My favorite new feature and works great ... for me.

Marilyn

bogiesmom

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The only thing I haven't found is a way to kill all background apps. Not necessary but deeply satisfying.

I found this in another thread -

How to close apps in multitasking..
In the app bar on the bottom of the screen you press and hold the app icon until a little red circle with a minus sign appears at the top left corner of the icon. tap the little red minus circle and the app closes.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I love the speed of switching between apps as far as I am concerned that is what I wanted without loosing where i was in an app and as for utube etc It is not a part of my needs

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I found this in another thread -

How to close apps in multitasking..
In the app bar on the bottom of the screen you press and hold the app icon until a little red circle with a minus sign appears at the top left corner of the icon. tap the little red minus circle and the app closes.
I think he was wanting to close all apps, not just one at a time.

I use an app for that, SwitcherPlus--alas, it is a jailbreak app but it is free. It greatly increases the capability of the task/app switcher.

When you press and hold an app in the switcher it will now have the usual "-" icon but also one on the bottom with an arrow pointing to the right. Tapping that arrow will close the app, but also all apps to the right of it too. Very handy. If you do it to the first app in the list, all apps are closed.

Better yet I have assigned apps to be excluded from that "mass closure." So they stay in the list unless I close them explicitly (using the "-" icon).

Finally I can have favorite apps that always appear in the switcher on the right... in the order I place them (not practical to have more than just a few). Very handy app... wish you didn't have to be jailbroken to get it.

Michael

OP
M

matt_90036

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well I do have a lag on mine. It could be by design, it is a one tenth of a second delay. It is worst when I have lots of icons on one page. There is no lag when you switch pages so the argument that the device is not powerful to hanldle folders is flawed. The folders addition was poorly design with either time delay by design or by poor coding.

Most reactions

Latest posts