Very disappointed with ios 4.2

Discussion in 'iPad OS' started by zzeng0502, Nov 23, 2010.

1. zzeng0502

zzeng0502
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    After I upgraded from Ios 3.2.2 I noticed, Wifi connect seems to be unstable and the connection speed seems to be slow. I used to open a lot of sites fast with Safari now sometimes it takes a lot longer to open the same site.

And apps like We Rule seems to take an aweful long time to connect sometimes even fail. We farm seems to be a big laggy as if FPS has dropped. Even BBC news seems to have dropped some FPS, it's not so smooth anymore.

TBH the multitask had no difference with Ios 3.2.2 , and I do hate that I would have lots of programmes opened in the multitask panel with no function except u can listen to the radio while browsing sites. Lots of programmes just set back to the opening if I select it from the multitask panel which have no different if I open it in the normal way. eg, Financial times, I was hoping that at least get to the article I was reading before I tabbed to other programmes, but it just set back to the front page as if I have never opened it.

I will restore it back to Ios 3.2.2 now, I cant have it being less responsive and programmes seem to crash more. :(

---------------------------------------------------------

Update:
    Just been to apple's official forum, on the first page there's a thread "WiFi/Internet Incredibly slow after iOS 4.2 Upgrade", u can see the long list of ppl having the same problem with wifi became incredibly slow after the upgrade. I can't believe that all ppl on this forum just boast about how good the 4.2 is without one person having Wifi issue?

#1 zzeng0502, Nov 23, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2010
  2. iPad-Sweden

iPad-Sweden
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    The 4.xx era has just begun, but I agree with u, have also gone back to my beloved 3.2.2 that 4 me has been the best version yet with less app/compatible issues.

3. Rcairncross76

Rcairncross76
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    The problem with going back to 3.2.2 is soon apps will require 4.2. This happened to my iPod when I didn't want to update because of performance issues, now only about half of the apps in the app store install.

4. Thphilli

Thphilli
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    What are you talking about? iOS 4.xx has been released to consumers for 5 months and two days. The "era" has not just begun. The iPad is similar enough to an iPhone that there should be ZERO issues with it after at LEAST 5 months of porting and product testing. Its more like 7 months because iOS 4 was announced last April, and I am sure they didn't wait around to begin porting it to the iPad.

5. zzeng0502

zzeng0502
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:

Despite the information you gave, the results I had on my ipad was just bad. The only effect I can see through this muiltitask thing is to listen to radio while browsing sites or have MSN running so I can get a push if I get a message. Games app , financial times etc, they just restart from the beginning. And We rule does seem to have a slow connection now, We farm, BBC news aren't smooth anymore like FPS has been reduced.

6. f4780y

f4780y
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Developers must release a multitasking enabled version of their application for you to get the functionality you are describing, and despite 4.x being around for a whilst, many iPad apps are yet to be updated because an iPad version did not exist to test upon till 4.2.
    I would suggest that the sluggish behaviour and wireless issues you are experiencing are due to possible issues with upgrading, rather than restoring as a "new" device. I have found with major OS version upgrades in the past (iPhones) that setting up a device as new has always been better.
    Doing a side by side comparison of 3.2.2 and 4.2.1 on iPads, I can confirm that 4.2.1 is perceptibly (although only slightly) faster in most use cases. If you can stand the inconvenience, I would suggest setting up as new and syncing your media back (losing your "data" of course)...

7. col.bris

col.bris
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I suspect you have not upgraded your apps yet try log on to iTunes via the ipad and see what apps need upgrading.
    In respect to my ipad, I have faster wifi connection and over 80% of my apps now support the new os as I have upgraded most of them over te past month when running the beta os4.2. If problems still exist then I would suggest a full restore in iTunes and see if that helps
    Overall performance in safari is faster and not only on the ipad but also on the iPhone 3GS which I upgraded as well
    The other thing to do is turn off your modem router and restart then in ipad preference go to wifi and click forget connection then reconnect . This may resolve the wifi speed. Hope it helps.

8. gentlefury

gentlefury
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    I've had no problems with 4.2.1 since it's release.

9. hookbill

hookbill
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    I was having so much fun with it I got up between 3 and 5 in the morning and was playing around with it.

With every upgrade of any device I've been around be it iPad, Droid, Blackberry, anything of a "smart device" nature you're always going to have some people who aren't happy with it. That's not a put down on the people who don't like it, you certainly are entitled to express your disappointment. But I have a feeling you're in the minority.

10. zzeng0502

zzeng0502
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I have just downgraded back to 3.2.2. it seems to be a lot more smooth. and connection speed has gone back to normal. When I had 4.2, even just We rule's update got stuck a few times before it finanlly succeeded. But with 3.2.2 that was done in 30 secs.( with WIFI) . And I did reinstall them, it didnt even open before I reinstalled that.
    The safari is the same, every once in a while the time it took to load sites was way longer than 3.2.2 as if I had lost connection for a few secs when I was using 3G connection. But 3.2.2 never had that problem.