What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

upgrade to iOS 6 no thanks

stvsocks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
merry christmas to me, I upgraded my fully functioning ipad 2 to iOS 6. What a mistake. Most of my apps do not work. It no longer recognizes epub file types. My biggest pleasure was using the iPad to read books. This pleasure is now permanently lost as apple does not provide a path to revert to the previous os. My beautiful ipad is now useful only as a browser. What a piece of ****. Unhappy to the max. I dare not press the reset button or connect it to my iMac as I might lose everything on it . Planning a trip to the genius bar but expecting huge disappointment. Recent upgrades to my imac produced similar results. You'd think I would have learned. So , Please, don't upgrade. Steve Jobs would never let this happen.

scott_R1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well there are many thousands who have had no issue with iOS6; in fact a very tiny minority have had issues at all. It seems you believe iOS6 is crap simply because you ran into trouble with it, so therefore no one else should use it either? Steve Jobs being here or not has no bearing on the instillation problem you encountered.

Maybe someone here can help, but it seems you may need to start over with a fresh install and then try to restore your apps.

nickb67

iPF Noob
Reaction score
http://www.ipadforums.net/members/32531.htmlStop kissing up to Apple. The option to downgrade should be available! All users should be able to use their product to their liking! As both a PC and Mac user, one isn't better than the other, Apple user are often not the smartest, ever send an apple user a file they don't recognize, IE, a wmv, no clue, I have to explain what to do, (Google how do I open a wmv file on mac)... Anyways Downgrades on Android isn't available either, so its not only apple, Shame downgrade to factory default isn't available on ipads... good luck at genious bar!

Last edited by a moderator:

scott_R1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
LOL, not kissing up to Apple :). My iPad is my only Apple product. I have 4 computers and 3 laptops, all run Windows. I have an Andrid phone. Wipe the thing out because something went wrong. Crying about an upgrade that was done by choice is silly, sometimes things go wrong.

cruiser111

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Merry Christmas! The upgrade to iOS 6 was a happy experience on two iPad 2s here. Sorry you have problems. ---- happens, get over it and work on a fix, forget the ranting, rarely solves anything. Good luck.

mrcupu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
too bad already done before you read peoples postings about it on this forum :ipad-back:

AdmiralAdama

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Near the Ionian Nebula, still searching for Earth
For what it's worth ... When iOS 5 came out the update via my old PC using Windows XP went horribly wrong.
It bricked my out of warranty iPhone 4. Luckily I had successfully backed up my content.

Long story short - went to the Apple Store to see what if anything could be done. I was prepared to pony up for a replacement.
The Genius ran a diagnostic. His exact words after reading the diagnostic ... "this doesn't make sense." His next words were "let me get you a new phone."

There was no charge despite no warranty. It was explained to me that the report was showing multiple error codes and since they had no idea what caused it,
a replacement (refurbished device) was in order.

Slightly off topic but I just want to support other posts in this thread re: things sometimes go wrong. Machines break. After all, they were designed and assembled by imperfect beings. ;)

AA

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
stvsocks said:
merry christmas to me, I upgraded my fully functioning ipad 2 to iOS 6. What a mistake. Most of my apps do not work. It no longer recognizes epub file types. My biggest pleasure was using the iPad to read books. This pleasure is now permanently lost as apple does not provide a path to revert to the previous os. My beautiful ipad is now useful only as a browser. What a piece of ****. Unhappy to the max. I dare not press the reset button or connect it to my iMac as I might lose everything on it . Planning a trip to the genius bar but expecting huge disappointment. Recent upgrades to my imac produced similar results. You'd think I would have learned. So , Please, don't upgrade. Steve Jobs would never let this happen.

Be specific as to "most of my apps don't work" do they crash? Do they open but not work correctly? Did you google the problem or contact the creator to report/ask about iOS 6 compatibility issues?

Not sure if iBooks uses ePub or some other file type, but either way, you CAN convert them to PDF of iBook compatible format. The world isn't over because something doesn't work right, there are solutions and workarounds.

If its just a browser and nothing is working, as you claim it is, why not just connect it to your Mac, attempt to back it up, and do a full restore. This fixes many problems for a lot of users.

Instead of coming in here and ranting about your problems as if all is lost, try asking it in a question format; "does iOS 6 not support ePub files?" And " (name of app) crashes on iOS 6" are perfect topics or phrases that can be googled.

Welcome to the forums.

idave23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Occasionally I get the itch to upgrade my iPad2 so I can use it to it's fullest and because I'm really tired of seeng "Update Required" when trying to update an old app or buy a cool new one. But I also don't want to mess up an already perfectly good device so I come and browse around here and the itch magically disappears.:(

runningbear29

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My friend held off on the upgrade to his iPad2, because of the Google Maps. But after Apple allowed the Google Maps to be installed, he upgraded and all is still working well he says.

Blue92

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Upgraded shortly after IOS 6 came out. Had to update FingerPrint.

No problem at all with either epub or mobi ebooks.

Other than what seems to be more battery killing requirements, no problems.

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Do you have a current backup? Restore the iPad to get a clean iOS 6 install then restore from your backup. You should get a well functioning iPad 2 running the latest iOS.

oberkc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My biggest pleasure was using the iPad to read books. This pleasure is now permanently lost as apple does not provide a path to revert to the previous os.

I upgraded mine, also. Like others have said, make sure you have backups of your data before doing so. Otherwise, my experience suggests that there is nothing in iOS 6 that would disable the ability to read books, including EPubs , so I don't believe your condition is "permanent" or an inherent limitation of the new OS.

OP
S

stvsocks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks to all who replied to my "rant". Yes, I did lose my temper. Out of respect to you all, I will try to calm down before writing. That being said, I am set to visit the genius bar and will advise the result. To those who believe that apple is the same entity without Steve Jobs, possibly you have not read Walter Isaacson's book.
Also, an upgrade should not be irreversible. I believe that on most mac's, the old operating system can be reinstalled. Not so on the ipad. A warning of that fact might have helped me. I appreciate being corrected when I deserve it.
To anyone who thinks pc's are in the same league as a mac, well, You generally get what you pay for. Thanks again, Steve

Most reactions

Latest posts