What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

After complete reset, iPad not seen by laptop or iTunes

Troyhusker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an older iPad that I recently did a complete reset on. Now neither my computer nor iTunes (most up to date version) recognizes that it's plugged in to the USB port. I ran diagnostics via iTunes and it says that no iPad is found either. I have uninstalled and reinstalled iTunes. I have fully recharged the iPad. I have rebooted my laptop. All to no avail. I know the USB ports all work because I can plug other devices into them and they work fine. I also tried the following:

- Uninstalled and reinstalled iTunes
- Stopped and started Apple Mobile Device Service
- Tried with a different USB cord
- Tried with an iPhone 4 and that device works fine, even with using the same USB cord as I tried with the iPad
- iPad receives a charge from the AC adapter using the same cord that I tried with both the iPad and the iPhone.

Please help. I really need to get this iPad working again.

moe0000001

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My initial reaction was a bad iPad cable but you say you tried the same cord with another device and it worked fine
The next step I'd try is to connect the iPad to another computer and see if it's recognized. I'm not sure about the technical specs but I'd start to think the problem is the iPad, the hardware and not the software. Say a broken pin in the slot where you plug the cable in the bottom of the iPad. But no need to jump to conclusions already, try it with another computer and see what happens.

Elizellen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi - I didn't know if I should start a new thread or post my question in this one with a similar subject.

I don't often plug my ipad into my pc, only now and then, but this time I got this error message
ITunes cannot read the contents of iPad xxxxxxx
Go to the Summary tab in iPad preferences and click Restore to restore this iPad to factory settings

If I do that will I lose any new stuff I have done on my ipad since it last synched with my pc?
----------
BTW after reading up in my ipad guide I did a reset (home button +power button till apple icon showed) and the same thing happened, but I noticed that after clicking OK on the error message the name of my ipad under "Devices" on the itunes page has changed just to read "iPad"

Last edited:

nicknick923

iPF Noob
Reaction score
1st Main Question: Are you using Windows Vista?
I would put some money on it that you are!!!!

nicknick923

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi - I didn't know if I should start a new thread or post my question in this one with a similar subject.

I don't often plug my iPad into my PC, only now and then, but this time I got this error message

If I do that will I lose any new stuff I have done on my iPad since it last synched with my pc?
----------
BTW after reading up in my iPad guide I did a reset (home button +power button till apple icon showed) and the same thing happened, but I noticed that after clicking OK on the error message the name of my iPad under "Devices" on the iTunes page has changed just to read "iPad"

The answer to your question: No, IF you follow these steps:
1. Open the settings on your iPad
2. Tap iCloud
3. BACK UP TO THE CLOUD, if you need to make an account, do so
4. Make sure backup is compleate
5. Do what iTunes is requesting
6. upon iPad restarting, when it says something like where or what do you want to restore from, chose iCloud
7. Sign into the iCloud
8. Chose the option that has the backup date of Today
9. Wait a long time until fully restored
10. Enjoy from where you left off

Elizellen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank you for putting it so clearly, Nicknick

Can you (or some other kind member) explain just what info will vanish from the IPad if I do restore it to its factory settings?

You can probably tell that it is my one and only Apple product. I have always had PC's for the past 30 years and was bought my Ipad two years ago when about to go into hospital for 5-6 weeks, and mainly use it for web browsing and checking up on email accounts etc.

Would I have to download all the apps I have again from the interweb after doing a restore from the ICloud?

Sorry to be such a wuss, but at 63 years old some of this stuff is beyond quick intuitive understanding and I seem to need things spelled out for me. :(

nicknick923

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Elizellen said:
Thank you for putting it so clearly, Nicknick

Can you (or some other kind member) explain just what info will vanish from the IPad if I do restore it to its factory settings?

You can probably tell that it is my one and only Apple product. I have always had PC's for the past 30 years and was bought my Ipad two years ago when about to go into hospital for 5-6 weeks, and mainly use it for web browsing and checking up on email accounts etc.

Would I have to download all the apps I have again from the interweb after doing a restore from the ICloud?

Sorry to be such a wuss, but at 63 years old some of this stuff is beyond quick intuitive understanding and I seem to need things spelled out for me. :(

To be truthfully honest, as long as you did the backup(s), you will only lose data from between the time the iPad crashed and the backup.

About downloading apps, no, the backup restores all of that, including EXACTLY where you left off at the time of backup.

For example, let's say you were looking up a pulled pork recipe during the backup, when you restore your iPad to that backup, all of the data returns, including that page.

Hope this helped.

OP
T

Troyhusker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry elizellen, that question was ment for the other person. I thought I quoted it.

Sorry, just getting back to check on the question. No, I'm not using Windows Vista. I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium.

OP
T

Troyhusker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My initial reaction was a bad iPad cable but you say you tried the same cord with another device and it worked fine
The next step I'd try is to connect the iPad to another computer and see if it's recognized. I'm not sure about the technical specs but I'd start to think the problem is the iPad, the hardware and not the software. Say a broken pin in the slot where you plug the cable in the bottom of the iPad. But no need to jump to conclusions already, try it with another computer and see what happens.

Tried it on 2 other computers and still the same result. I'm beginning to thing it's a pin or something on the iPad also. It charges fine with the same cord plugged into the AC adapter but it just will not get noticed by the computer. I was trying to think of a way to maybe clean the connectors but can't think of a way to get to them to clean them. I blew them out with compressed air, but still didn't work.

Nakedbabytoes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had an iPod shuffle that was like that, no computer would ever list it in the iTunes window. Turns out, it somehow reverted to "Mac based" software(it was old) during a reset/restore and only a Mac would recognize it. Do you have anybody with a Mac around? Once we got it recognized, we could upgrade it's software and then my computer could see it again.

It was weird, but it fixed it. I wasn't/am not aware that they do PC/Mac specific stuff anymore.

OP
T

Troyhusker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had an iPod shuffle that was like that, no computer would ever list it in the iTunes window. Turns out, it somehow reverted to "Mac based" software(it was old) during a reset/restore and only a Mac would recognize it. Do you have anybody with a Mac around? Once we got it recognized, we could upgrade it's software and then my computer could see it again.

It was weird, but it fixed it. I wasn't/am not aware that they do PC/Mac specific stuff anymore.

Hmmm... Interesting. I'll give that a try. My daughter has a MAC and she's coming home this weekend. I'll try it on her machine and see what happens. Thanks.

parsapple

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hmmm... Interesting. I'll give that a try. My daughter has a MAC and she's coming home this weekend. I'll try it on her machine and see what happens. Thanks.
Did you solve the problem? I have the same problem.

Most reactions

Latest posts