What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ZaggMate A New Aluminium Case

kvizzel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
looks amazing!

hundred bucks, maybe i'll purchase it when i have extra money lying around!

wonder if it'll fit good with full bodyguardz protection

OP
tigerkraw

tigerkraw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's good to see a hands on first look at the ZaggMate,
Thanks Marilyn (Mickey330)

Hopefully there will be a few more Hands on reviews in the next few weeks.

I hope to order early next year, first Ipad coming next week, followed by
our second in January, most likely the ZaggMate soon after.

Until then I'll keep myself busy and read some more posts.. :)

Take Care, Enjoy the Holidays
Larry & Sandy

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@Mickey330

i'm very envious, being from the UK I have to wait!

whats it like on your lap? do you have to worry about the ipad falling out?

MachThree

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do you think this is going to help in a drop? It looks really cool but am worried because with no padding between the aluminum and the iPad, I'm not so sure. Also, how did you get one so quick? On the website its pre-order only.

Edit: Oh - I just realized that this only covers the front of the iPad, the back is well and truly exposed, so looks like for full protection you'd need a neoprene sleeve or similar.

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
@Mickey330 ...i'm very envious, being from the UK I have to wait!
whats it like on your lap? do you have to worry about the ipad falling out?

It works quite well on my lap, actually. In fact, it's how I'm typing this reply now - I'm in my recliner with my legs stretched out, and the keyboard (with the iPad in landscape mode) on my lap. Very comfortable and actually, very sturdy.

I can hold the case (with the iPad in landscape fitted into the slot) parallel to the floor. Then, I can tilt the combo until the case is 90 degrees to the floor. The iPad stays in the slot and does not move (!). So yeah, I think it's pretty well secured and very usable in the lap. 'Cause you can't type with the case at 90 degrees to the floor ... :D

Hope that helps.

Marilyn

tjdurl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
+1

its certainly one of the nicer ones to date. Interested in seeing these in the wild. But once again, with the KB option, you are just carrying around a laptop wanna be. So why not take a laptop? It seems people want their iPad to be a laptop.

I agree

rbsjr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
just received may case today. I am disappointed that it isn't fully integrated. The fact that the devices have to be separated before using it is my issue with it. I am contemplating a couple of simple solution for connecting the Ipad with the case as well as a tab to assist in opening it.

KenJr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why These "Problems" All the Sudden?

Interesting that reviews, including mine, on the Zaggmate were coming out overall positive until a competitor came along. That's when we started hearing about these 'problems'. I bought mine on the internet directly from Zagg. It would be good if those who are having these 'problems' would tell the rest of us specifically where their Zaggmates were purchased. Maybe a bad batch came into those particular stores or sites .. They’d be helping us all by letting us know where these retailers are located.

Mine's been working great - I love it - and the keyboard goes days on end without needing a charge (it’s always on). My fingers are big so I had trouble getting used to it at first, but I’m definitely used to it now and, amazingly enough, I find that my overall typing speed has increased. Other than the easy typing, what I very much appreciate is the ability to use all those Mac shortcuts AND the ability to adjust my volume right at the top of the keyboard. By the way, one last thing, I definitely appreciate the lightweight slimline aspect of this thing for when I go out. But I did buy skins for both the Zaggmate base and the back of my iPad - for protection against wear and scratches, and to make it less slippery (I worry about dropping it).

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
its certainly one of the nicer ones to date. Interested in seeing these in the wild. But once again, with the KB option, you are just carrying around a laptop wanna be. So why not take a laptop? It seems people want their iPad to be a laptop.

A laptop weighs more than I want to carry. Heck even with the Zaggmate keyboard my iPad weighs less than my netbook, and the screen resolution is 1024x768 rather than 1024x600.

And the battery life is better than 10 hours compared to 5 hours on the netbook.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
When my laptop, or netbook, has the ability to remove the screen from the keyboard, then I'll accept the "just like a laptop" mantra about Bluetooth keyboards.

I specifically got the Zaggmate because I wanted a Bluetooth keyboard only when I needed it. The remainder of the time, I use my iPad "naked," which is my preferred way.

To me, the bennies of having a long battery life keyboard, a protective case and the ability to type on the Bluetooth keyboard when my iPad is in portrait or landscape mode in a lightweight package are incredible.

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts