What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your top 3 iOS wants

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
For me....

1) separate logins. I'd love the option for members of my family to have their own log-in sessions and id's on my iPad

2) auto correct. I HATE the current auto correct feature. It so doesn't learn and it's suggestions are so not what I'd choose. It even puts in it's own text when I haven't even typed it in wrong. And a regional autocorrect would be nice too. 99 times out of 100 I'm constantly having to go back and ammend posts I've just typed out. Sooooooooo infuriating. But, less infuriating than turning it off. The horrid lesser of 2 evils.

3) Can't think of anything else that really needs a change right now, as I'm generally that satisfied with thngs.

What top 3 thongs can you see needs changing to make your life the better?

Last edited:

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The ability to close all background apps with one stroke

5 row keyboard with numbers

dictionary definitions in other languages

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Swype.
Seperate notification tones for all events for all contacts.
Proper zoom reflowing of web pages.
Proper suspension of apps that don't have background events registered.
The ability to track app usage across all assests to help weed out bad programming.

neartheredrocks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
1) The possibility to change the default browser without having to hack the iPad.

2) Multi-user capability.

3) A keyboard with five rows and numbers.

hashman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
1. multi use definately - tried a jailbreak app from cydia once that forced me to reinstall everything

2. drag and drop copying of videos and music - which are not app specific

3. cards type navigation from the palmos system

Andyvalver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One button to Close all open apps rather than having to close each one individually.

EvilMonkey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Only 3? ;)
  1. Change the default browser
  2. Use different email signatures for different email accounts. Even Outlook Express circa 1997 let you do this. It's impossible for me to use the mail client since I have a several email accounts for various businesses/projects I work with, all requiring different signatures.
  3. Allow Different keyboards (Swype on my Android phone is awesome).
Also (since I can't limit myself to 3)
  1. The auto-correct needs a LOT of work. It only gives you one (if you're lucky) suggestion for a replacement, and as far as I can tell you can't add words to the dictionary (someone correct me if I'm wrong).
  2. Flash (of course I know this won't happen, but the tech will be around for a few years yet, so feel the need to include it anyways)
  3. More sharing options from the gallery. It's ridiculous it only has Email and Twitter built in (I get about 30 sharing options on my Android phone FWIW, and if I have an app that supports a photo in any way, it shows up as a sharing option automatically)
  4. Would like a few more customization options. It doesn't have to be as in depth as Android, but a couple simple widgets would be nice...or just be able to put some icons on the left side of the screen and some on the right would be nice. I don't think that's too much to ask.
  5. Different user accounts or profiles. This is not a huge deal for me personally, but would be nice.

Last edited:

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Only 3? ;)
  2. Use different email signatures for different email accounts. Even Outlook Express circa 1997 let you do this. It's impossible for me to use the mail client since I have a several email accounts for various businesses/projects I work with, all requiring different signatures.
  1. The auto-correct needs a LOT of work. It only gives you one (if you're lucky) suggestion for a replacement, and as far as I can tell you can't add words to the dictionary (someone correct me if I'm wrong).
  2. Flash (of course I know this won't happen, but the tech will be around for a few years yet, so feel the need to include it anyways)
  3. More sharing options from the gallery. It's ridiculous it only has Email and Twitter built in (I get about 30 sharing options on my Android phone FWIW, and if I have an app that supports a photo in any way, it shows up as a sharing option automatically)
  4. Would like a few more customization options. It doesn't have to be as in depth as Android, but a couple simple widgets would be nice...or just be able to put some icons on the left side of the screen and some on the right would be nice. That's not too much to ask, I don't think.
  5. Different user accounts or profiles.

Different keyboards are already available. I have English, French and German set up on my iPad. Couldn't care less about Flash, I like Safari, but I agree with your other 4. Email client is particularly restricting.

EvilMonkey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Different keyboards are already available. I have English, French and German set up on my iPad.

Not keyboard languages. Keyboards. Look up things like Swype, FlexT9 or Swiftkey on YouTube. That's what I mean (maybe not those particular ones, but some different options would be nice).

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Only 3? ;)
  4. Would like a few more customization options. It doesn't have to be as in depth as Android, but a couple simple widgets would be nice...or just be able to put some icons on the left side of the screen and some on the right would be nice. I don't think that's too much to ask.
  5. Different user accounts or profiles. This is not a huge deal for me personally, but would be nice.

1) iOS and Android use the same browser engine ;) Little known secret.

2) They may do this in iOS 6 now that RIM is about to die and corporate email servers are now supporting iOS finally.

3) Apple tried to buy Swype. When they refused to sell, I fear that doomed them from ever coming to iOS. And it is my top want.

Also....

1) I could not agree more.

2) Adobe killed Flash on mobile phones last year. They won't even bother to compile a native iOS version now.

3) I am not a big fan of all the overhead Android allows on the gallery. iOS does it correctly by having you in the correct app for the job.

4) Widgets are background tasks. Until Jobs' legacy is truly dead, iOS will never have them.

5) I have never understood user accounts on a phone. iPad, yes. Considering the unification that started in iOS 5 that was then KILLED by Siri for the 4S and now dictation for the iPad (3rd Gen), I fear Apple is still going backward on one iOS for all devices.

EvilMonkey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
2) Adobe killed Flash on mobile phones last year. They won't even bother to compile a native iOS version now.

Well, "killed" is not the right word. My phone still runs it fine and I still get periodic updates. They just aren't developing new versions. I only included it because I do miss it everytime there's a gaping hole in a news feed or something, and I know it will never come to iOS. I've just learned which sites and which RSS feeds I can't use on my iPad. It's not a huge deal for me, but it is something that's missing: lack of support wouldn't be tolerated on any major browser like Chrome, Firefox or IE, but is tolerated on the iPad. Well, maybe not "tolerated" but it's just "accepted" since that's how it is.

I don't want to dwell on it since it's been discussed...just included it in my list.

3) I am not a big fan of all the overhead Android allows on the gallery. iOS does it correctly by having you in the correct app for the job.

We'll have to agree to disagree here. I love being in my Android gallery and sending a set of photos to Facebook and a set to Flikr all from one place, rather than have to switch to those apps to do it. Adds consistency to the sharing as well (IMO). Not sure what overhead you are referring to, I guess. Not like it's slow.

5) I have never understood user accounts on a phone. iPad, yes. Considering the unification that started in iOS 5 that was then KILLED by Siri for the 4S and now dictation for the iPad (3rd Gen), I fear Apple is still going backward on one iOS for all devices.

Agreed...I was strictly speaking towards tablets. I too see no reason to have profiles on my phone, although maybe someone else would want this.

Last edited:

AZsteelman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
1 - Profiles

2 - stop the notification of new emails and voice mails during phone calls!

3 - drag and drop video and music

Most reactions

Latest posts