What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Writing traditional Chinese vertically?

eobet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am trying to find an app for my mother-in-law who I just purchased an iPad2 for her to be able to write books in traditional Chinese on.

Pages is the obvious answer, but it seems to only want to write left to right...

Does anyone here know of an app specifically made for writing long documents (books) in traditional Chinese, which may be available in either the Swedish or UK App Stores? (Japanese App Store is fine too, actually... we haven't investigated if there is a way for us to get access to the Chinese App Store yet.)

Also, a related question is which is the best dictionary for her to use? And I don't mean one which translates to English, just one which explains the word (Chinese to Chinese).

Any tips will be greatly appreciated!

My mother-in-law has never owned a computer and doesn't really understand them, but we were both very impressed by how the iPad even understood her very fast calligraphic scribbles! (She tried to use bad handwriting on purpose and didn't manage to fool it... we were very worried that you had to be very careful when entering the signs, but it apparently understands what you are trying to write very well using traditional Chinese input.)

EDIT: Oh, and the was wondering if she always have to choose the correct character after she already written it... it looks like it appears in the document, but we don't know how to proceed unless we click on it again...

EDIT: To clarify, what she is searching for apparently has to do with publisher templates. Certain publishers of books require a fixed amount of signs on one page, and she wants an app which allows her to specify her publisher's template and not have to care about counting signs...

EDIT: We found one... but it's for Japanese and it's horrible... but this is what we want (but usable instead of horrible):

appfinder . lisisoft . com / app / zong-shukiedita.html

Last edited:

csllanna

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Good day, eobet,

Thank you for visiting iPad Forum.

1) Actually I do like to write the long article in Quickoffice Pro before any posting to iPadForum. It do support traditional Chinese, but something it could be turn off automatically due to continuous of "key in mistake" - because I am using "䌓體倉頡"。 in order to solve this problem, I have to save my work MORE frequently.

2) Maybe you can refer to Four Writing Apps for the iPad for more information. They are recommending Chapters for iPad, My Writing Nook, Manuscript for iPad and Notebooks. But I am not sure whether they are supporting Chinese or not.

3) For the Chinese Dictionery, I will always go for free on-line, try to look for 在綫新華字典Q

Please update us if you could find a better one. 噢, 還有, 祝願作家媽媽"寫作順利"!^^

OP
E

eobet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for your tips, but I'm confused. Can any of the apps you mentioned write traditional Chinese vertically? Is that a system wide setting I'm missing?

csllanna

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank you for your tips, but I'm confused. Can any of the apps you mentioned write traditional Chinese vertically? Is that a system wide setting I'm missing?

Ermm....Writing in vertical format, I am doubt that they can't...

But why not try to refer back to the publisher, I'm sure that they has come across with such request and know the solution for it... ^^

Last edited:

csllanna

iPF Novice
Reaction score
为什么这里用的是中国繁体字,而不是简体字(simple chinese),即使是中国人都不见得能看懂繁体字的哦。
谢谢Cristar到此地漫遊,其实我是1971出世的马來西亞人, 中小学都是学繁体字,上過三年日語課,然后自修中文倉颉输入法,二十多㱑時報紙和課本才採用簡體字,但我現在有向女兒学習華語拼音。

我們Chinese Dedicated iPadforum為了讓讀者有更大的空間可以閱讀, 所以涉獵來自各地的新闻來源,譬如,香港廣東話, 台灣繁体,中国简体,新馬简繁,日本系(韓語在自修当中),英語系國家,歐語系國家,藝術攝影,影音話語,其贴子可參考如下:
1) 香港廣東話 - Bee and Me (蜜蜂仔: 等埋我。。。。。啊!)

2) 歐語系國家- A greve Jundiaí da verdade (對,您沒有來錯地方,這里的確是Chinese Dedicated iPadForum)

3) 英語系國家 - 蘋果每年全球避稅數十億 ??

4) 新馬简繁 - Live Report : STOP Lynas, Save MALAYSIA

5) 台灣繁体 - iPad 冬蒜!iPad冬蒜!

6) 日本語系統- Powerful iPad

7) 影音話語 - 我們都中毒了!

8) 藝術攝影 - The Final Countdown (10,9,8,7,6........)

我們精心挑選各地有趣的iPad新聞,希望大家可以多多支持哦。。。^^

P.S : 我每天還會上傳一張有關生活點滴的照片,點擊率至今8千多個还可以啦,請移步: Malaysian Dedicated iPadForum - Mother Earth Language

Most reactions

Latest posts