What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does iPAD Have Traditional Chinese Handwriting Recognition Like The Microsoft Surface

esoxlee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello All:

in an effort to introduce my mom to the internet, I just purchased her a Microsoft Surface RT because it has a language pack that has chinese handwriting recognition. Specifically, "traditional" chinese handwriting. To my surprise, it's extremely effective and accurate at deciphering her handwriting. Only problem now is that the MS Surface RT requires some degree of familiarity to PC usage which my mother doesn't possess. She does know, more of less, how to use an older iPad that my brother gave her to play games on (mahjong, angry birds etc).

So does iPad come with software that will allow my mom to input traditional chinese handwriting?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't think it comes stock with any handwriting recognition software at all. It comes, as I'm sure you know, with keyboards so you can input writing in different languages. Unlike the MS Surface, the iPad does not come with a built in digitizer, only with a touch screen. It was not designed to convert handwriting into some electronic version.

Now, there may be some apps out there that help with this. I can't respond to this at all since I have not done any of what you are needing. Maybe someone else can offer some input.

Some of the Samsung tablets that run Android do have a pen & digitizier, so one of them may do handwriting recognition.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hopefully, AQ_OC is helping (sorry, but I don't know the answer).

I'm just writing to say that I deleted your other thread you started today on this same topic. Making more than one post not only fragments the conversation and makes it hard to follow - it's against the forum rules. Please keep any follow-ups, discussion or updates on this topic to this thread; do not start another. Thanks for your understanding.

Marilyn

OP
E

esoxlee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks man! Shame, I would have loved to be able to get my mom an iPad. It's so much more user friendly and her favorite games like mahjong aren't available on the Surface.

Elizellen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hello All:

in an effort to introduce my mom to the internet, I just purchased her a Microsoft Surface RT because it has a language pack that has chinese handwriting recognition. Specifically, "traditional" chinese handwriting. To my surprise, it's extremely effective and accurate at deciphering her handwriting. Only problem now is that the MS Surface RT requires some degree of familiarity to PC usage which my mother doesn't possess. She does know, more of less, how to use an older iPad that my brother gave her to play games on (mahjong, angry birds etc).

So does iPad come with software that will allow my mom to input traditional chinese handwriting?

There is an app called
EZInput
that might do the job

OP
E

esoxlee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks. I just came back from a Best Buy and it seems you can enter chinese handwriting into any text box without any additional apps !!!!

csllanna

iPF Novice
Reaction score
哈囉, 您好, esoxlee,

很高興您的母親擁有一台iPad了, 真如您所說的, iPad可以讓蘋友自由地書寫或採用拼音。

除了麻将遊戲外, 可能你還可以介紹她iMessage等通訊產品,我想當她能揮灑自如地和你們年輕一輩互動時,那種親密的感覺可真不言而喻了。^^

Most reactions

Latest posts