What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Would you say the ipad 2 is considered old inferior technology now?

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
By electronics standards in roughly from the Paleozoic era. :). That being said, mine still cranks. It's reliable, has a great battery, and does stuff I need it to. Winning. Some of the upgrades to later models would be nice but others just don't matter to me. Overall, I'm good and staying pat.

As for weight, I thought the iPad 2 is slightly lighter than the third gen or fourth gen? No?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
s2mikey said:
By electronics standards in roughly from the Paleozoic era. :). That being said, mine still cranks. It's reliable, has a great battery, and does stuff I need it to. Winning. Some of the upgrades to later models would be nice but others just don't matter to me. Overall, I'm good and staying pat.

As for weight, I thought the iPad 2 is slightly lighter than the third gen or fourth gen? No?

Yes, the iPad 2 is slightly lighter and thinner than the iPad 3 & 4. It's the larger battery in the 3 & 4 that is responsible for the increased weight.

Last edited:

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
scifan57 said:
Yes, the iPad 2 is slightly lighter and thinner than the iPad 3 & 4. It's the larger battery in the 3 & 4 that is responsible for the increased weight.

The retina display uses more juice, huh?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
s2mikey said:
The retina display uses more juice, huh?

Correct. Apple was forced to use a larger battery in order to have the same battery life as the iPad 2.

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just got the 3 as an Xmas gift and I did notice the slight weight difference.
I'm still using my 2 and just because I now have a 3 doesn't render the 2 suddenly junk to me being that it was and is performing exactly the same. I notice a little speed difference but not leaps and bounds in terms of my own uses, so the 2 would have sufficed for as long as it was supported on software updates. It's still being officially sold so is obviously considered up to date enough. I use the 3 more now of course, but the 2 comes with me to work as well.
The 1 still does a good job on a lot of things too-opens most of the apps I use just fine, surfs the net and does e-mail. It's used as an around the house, quick look something up on the internet type of function, so even it isn't completely obsolete yet for all functions-speed difference-yes, but still pretty darn good.

timtruro

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Love my iPad 2 . It is everything it is supposed to be and works pretty much flawlessly. I will use it probably until the battery life degrades and only then consider something newer (or maybe just replace the battery?)

Most reactions

Latest posts