What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

worth upgradeing?

applechick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I personally am going to wait for the next iPad. Our household has one iPad 1 and two iPad 2 and I don't see big enough changes to spend money to upgrade. I am also really into my accessories and I have invested a lot and don't want to take the chance some may not fit.

Husq250

iPF Novice
Reaction score
sunking said:
I have an iPad1, 32GB wifi/3G. I pre-ordered an iPad3, 32GB wifi/4G to replace it. I have to say that the iPad1 has really not felt as "snappy" as it did when I first received it. Maybe it is just me...

I think that the iPad3 will be quite an upgrade to the iPad1 that I currently have. Display, graphics and processor...all much faster. All of that made it much easier for me to bite the bullet and absorb the cost.

I was talking in the office yesterday about pre-ordering the iPad3 and one of my co-workers offered to buy my iPad1. We agreed to a purchase price of $150. This also helps offset the overall cost.

Now...just need to find a way to wait for March 16th to get here!

My iPad 1 was feeling a bit "sticky" too. I did both a restore (home button and sleep button at the same time) and reset my network settings. After that it's quite a bit better. Not as good as the new iPad 2 but better.

jessbarney777

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am also really into my accessories and I have invested a lot and don't want to take the chance some may not fit.

If you're worried about cases fitting or not fitting the new model, I don't think you need to worry on that point. Some companies are marketing their iPad 2 cases as simply being compatible with both the new model and the iPad 2, despite the fact that the new model is slightly heavier and thicker. I don't know about other the compatibility of other accessories, and I'm still on the fence about upgrading my own iPad 2, but at least I know that my zoogue case would fit the iPad 3, if I decide to upgrade. :)

jmbarker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
IMO, ole rule of thumbs don't apply in the case of the new iPad. Apple doubled the screen solution to the point where full page PDFs and magazines that are designed to use that screen will be wonderful to view. For me, that is a killer feature and was a clear weak point of the iPad 2 (I actually use an iPad in my work). IMO, I'll wait two years for the next upgrade, but not this one. I ordered my new iPad today and then shipped off my iPad 2 to Amazon.com.

I can understand how others may view this differently, however. It really depends on what you need from the tablet.

Amazon buys iPads? How do I go about selling mine to them?

ipad987

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've pondered the thought over and over. I don't care about the camera as I never use it, or video for that matter. I play the simplest games that don't require any graphics power, and LTE is not a concern of mine. So basically assuming I could get $325 for my current IPAD 2 on Craigslist I would have to justify paying an additional $175 for beautiful screen. I may just wait for the next generation - however the problem with that is by then my IPAD will severely decrease in value.

I am in exactly the same boat. I figure upgrading now will cost me around £100 because I can sell my 32gb iPad 2 for close to £300 and then buy 16gb iPad 3 for £400, however, I seriously do not need the better resolution (I have a brand new HD/3D TV and HD/3D capable DVD player which I can use to watch HD content) and nor the faster processor as this iPad is more than fast enough for me because, like you, I surf, play very simple games, and some productivity apps that I do not need a faster processor for.

What's more, I really do to like the idea of extra weight and slightly extra thickness. It's all about upgrading now at a low cost, or paying much more in a year's time.

Last edited:

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Skull One said:
You only need to ask yourself two questions.

1) Can you afford to?

2) Will the doubling of the resolution be helpful?

Good questions?? ;)

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 With IOS 5.1Update From NYC!!! using iPF

ipad987

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Amazon itself does not buy iPads from individual sellers, but you can list it on Amazon marketplace for sale where Amazon shoppers will be able to see your iPad listed along with Amazon's own and of other Amazon marketplace sellers. Just sign up as a seller on Amazon. You will require your credit card/bank details so they can send you sale proceeds.

meta4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm happy with the iP2, agree with posts about waiting to upgrade. I may use it with the smart board in my classroom, want to try out both models to see of there's much difference.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Just type in electronics trade in program into the search box. What happens is amazon lets a third party seller buy your email and then pay you with an amazon gift card that gets deposited into your account. So you need to be someone who will spend that money on amazon.com, but it frees up funds for buy other items since you have amazon.com credit. You describe the condition of your product as as long as it meets it, you get your funds in your account. The shipping is free. You do not need to sign up as a seller, though there may be some advantage to that...I don't know.

Mystro

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's a no brainier for me to upgrade. I have a iPad 2 and the new screen resolution was reason enough to upgrade. The screen is the biggest interface you have to the devise. Thats pretty important as far as I am concerned. Everyone that has seen it in real life just gushes that it's so much better than any screen they have ever seen. These are tech guys that have seen every thing. The other upgrades are just extra reasons to upgrade.

purnomosetiawan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i have ipad2 and i will not upgrade it, it looks the same, it feel (almost) the same. maybe if SIRI available for new ipad i will consider it for upgrade.

HKWrite12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not upgrading. It's not worth it to me. Im not a gamer designer or photog. I think iPad 2 is more than sufficient for my needs. I just really wish I could upgrade to 1080. And porting siri wouldn't be too awful either.

iLloyd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is it possible for Siri to come to the new iPad as part of a iOS update? Perhaps iOS 6 ?

Airtent

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I own(ed) both versions so far and the soon to be new one as well. I use it for all sorts of things and my biggest reason to upgrade again is the better rear camera. Creating a movie from start to finish on a single device is a big plus for me among the countless other things i use an ipad for these days.

My predictions for the ipad 4 would be a6 cpu, bigger storage optons or sd slot, 8mp rear cam and maybe a better than vga front cam, siri support, and a magnetic data/charging connector such as the one they use in their laptops (plus an included/optional converter cord to support the old accessories).

Apple rolls out new features like car companies do. Even though they could probably stuff a ton of goodies in one device, they won't in order to keep a nice healthy profit.

Most reactions

Latest posts