What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wonder if tot broke my iPad 3

Antsu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was installing mysql and php. Chowned -R (daemon:wheel *) by accident in wrong dir (/private/var/) as thought I was in (/private/var/mysql/) and as noticed chowned those back to root:wheel.

Well, nutting seemed to be wrong, got mysql and php running. Pad worked also ok then I rebooted it. Now pad is stuck on boot. http://db.tt/vMCZFe3d

Its been like that for 4 hrs now so I guess it wont start. Running JB 5.1.1

Would anyone have any idea what to do? I just dont wanna throw that away and go buy new one. And I surely dont want un JB iOS 6.

All the files are in there but like mentioned I chowned 50% of files under var daemon:wheel => root:wheel. That seems to have done this. I dont even have iTunes to connect pad to.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As your jailbroken ill move this to the hacking section for you to hopefully get you the help that you need.

The Archangel

yof

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try getting a buddy to help you with a computer and download iexplorer, diskaid, or other ssh-root into device for your device file directory. SSH into it and try and fix the problem by locating and moving the files you needed. Hopefully files appear.

You can also try rebooting it and once it all darkens out, you can try holding the UP volume button while it boots up to stop all extensions that was installed.

OP
A

Antsu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tnx for the button advice. But only thing it did was that pad didnt start to boot again :)
So it finally shut down. Dang stupido piece of i**** lol. (Writing this reply on iPhone 4)

Btw, in that picture on link is that line across the screen. Never seen that before. Thats why took a pic if would give someone a clue. Havent modded booting sequence in any way and even lockscreen very minorily.

Basically only took the ugly battery away and changed that stupido sliding button into a pushbutton.

Ibought this to work with it as kinda too expensive toy for just to play solitaire. Thats why installed LAMP. Well apache was gonna start after the dreadfull reboot.

I prolly could get pad running if install itunes in neighbors pc. Vmware dont work on latest linux kernel and virtualbox only runs under root for somereason and I dont want to put wintendo in my firewall pc and it dont even run cleanly there as sys resources blocked so feels like its P1 although its i7@4200,16gb ram, ssd boots,12tb raid5.

So is my last reserve dfu mode, do ios "format" and install ios 6? Has anyone figured yet out how to downgrade to 5.1.1? Not sure though if have my blobs saved in pkgbackup.

Or some nice person save my day and help to solve this.

Also a nice forum here. I stumbled in here 30mins after bought the pad and 20 mins since JB was inside. (took 5 mins to drive home. Thats why went almost 10 mins to JB)

OP
A

Antsu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Found old pc which had iTunes in it and iPhone 4 from about 2 years ago...Plugged this iPad into it and now this iTunes sees iPad3 as iPhone4 lol. Upgraded iTunes to latest and same thing.

I can restore w/ DFU mode into iOS6 looks like, but still trying to figure how to keep this JB 5.1.1 if can just get the dang thing to boot somehow so could get to set stuff on flashcard.

Also was wondering why someone likes on my 1st post on this thread that messed up my iPad????

Most reactions