What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Firmware restore problems, iPad 3 on iOS 5.1.1

micahhs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,

I left my iPad 3 alone for about a month recently and now I can't remember my passcode... klutz I am. So I Googled extensively online on the issue and found that the only way to get around it is to restore my iPad. My most recent iCloud backup is from two months back but I'm afraid that would also have a passcode on it that I can't remember. :rolleyes:

I would like to avoid updating to iOS 6 at the moment as it seems to be laden with problems, and I wanted to stay on 5.1.1. I have tried restoring normally through iTunes, but I got so many errors! 21, 3194, 1602, 1604... I tried going through the Apple Forum troubleshooting tips: disabled my AV, Defender and firewalls; tried different USB ports; tried different computers... no dice.

So I followed a few tutorials y'all have on here, after juggling a few about I think the one titled "Re-restore IOS 5.x on iPad2 and iPad3 using redsn0w and SHSH blobs" suits my situation best, as my iPad 3 is still on iOS 5.1.1. It's been 2 weeks now of frustrated DFU-ing and SHSH-saving that I'm just about ready to pull my hair out. But first, my configs:

iPad 3 64GB Model A1430 (3G GSM - 4G is not yet available where I am)
iOS 5.1.1 - already JB'ed with Absinthe 5.1.1 JB

My Cydia has saved 5.1.1 blobs for me, and I've retrieved them with my TU:

hkh.jpg

I downloaded the latest TU, latest iTunes, latest redsn0w, have the correct IPSW file, my iPad was in DFU mode and it looked to me like I was all set to restore. My cables were all factory-original and I connected to the ports at the back of my CPU closest to my motherboard.

But when I tried to use the method in the above tutorial word for word, about 3-5 minutes after starting step 7 redsn0w said that my APTicket doesn't work for the hack. Which puzzles me as my iPad 3 isn't exactly new. It has been JB'ed and restored back to 5.1.1 before.

I'm reaching my wit's end and my iPad is just sitting there, taunting me... :mad:

Anyone care to explain where I've gone wrong? Any kind of help would be much appreciated! Thank you so much! :D

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, if you are sure that the device has been fully restored in the past, then that is certainly strange. Unfortunately, if the APTicket component of your saved SHSH Blobs on Cydia does not match the APTicket on your device (which that error code is telling you), then there is nothing that I know of that can be done to resolve it. Sorry :(

The only reason I am aware of that the tickets don't match is where the device is still running its original factory installed IOS 5.1.1 or was updated to 5.1.1 via the OTA update method prior to being jailbroken. Even if you fall into some other strange category, the only way I know to resolve it is to generate new blobs to match your current APTicket, and that simply can't be done now as the signing window with Apple is closed.

OP
M

micahhs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh dear :( Then there is no way around it other than trying to jog my brain into remembering the passcode? This would be a much easier task if I had set the device to auto-reset... Alas, I did not. Looks like I'm going to have to update to iOS 6 if I want to use it again!

Anyway thanks f4780y for the prompt reply! Glad to at least know I've done everything I can to overcome the problem :) Will keep an eye out for iOS 6 JB, for sure!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
micahhs said:
Oh dear :( Then there is no way around it other than trying to jog my brain into remembering the passcode? This would be a much easier task if I had set the device to auto-reset... Alas, I did not. Looks like I'm going to have to update to iOS 6 if I want to use it again!

Anyway thanks f4780y for the prompt reply! Glad to at least know I've done everything I can to overcome the problem :) Will keep an eye out for iOS 6 JB, for sure!

Here's the official iOS 6 jailbreak status thread. Keep an eye on post number one in this thread for the jailbreak announcement.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/89458-official-ios6-jailbreak-status-thread.html

Most reactions

Latest posts