What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Won my iPad at work :D, need help. Can I JB iOs 4.10.01?

dogzin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
so i picked up my iPad which i won from work today, its a UK iPad 2 3G 32 gb. i was just wondering whether i could jailbreak it, its new, out of the box, and i havent installed 5.1 so im on 4.10.01 atm. the model is MC774B,

would i need to install 5.01 with an ISPW file, or is that not possible due to blobs, what ever they are

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the iPad Forum. Hope you enjoy your stay.

Congratulations on your win. Looks like you are too late to update to 5.0.1, the last OS to have a JB. If I understand it, the SHSH blobs are individual to your machine, and cannot be passed around for anyone to use, so although you should be able to jailbreak, you will be stuck with the older OS until such time as a JB is developed for 5.1.

The word on the street seems to be that this could take months. Have a look around the stickies on the hacking forum. There should be some useful info there.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
D

dogzin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome to the iPad Forum. Hope you enjoy your stay.

Congratulations on your win. Looks like you are too late to update to 5.0.1, the last OS to have a JB. If I understand it, the SHSH blobs are individual to your machine, and cannot be passed around for anyone to use, so although you should be able to jailbreak, you will be stuck with the older OS until such time as a JB is developed for 5.1.

The word on the street seems to be that this could take months. Have a look around the stickies on the hacking forum. There should be some useful info there.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

wow, thanks for the quick reply, i dont think i can even jailbreak 4.10.01, doesnt it have to be 4.3.3, which i cant get i assume if i cant get 5.01

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I know nothing about jailbreaking. I kind of assumed that each version of iOs had been hacked in turn. That may not be true. F4780y and his legion of hackers would be your best bet. Actually, I'll move this thread over to the hacking forum. You will be much more likely to get the answers you need over there. Assuming it can be done, you have all the time in the world to do it, as you won't lose the ability unless you update.

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
wow, thanks for the quick reply, i dont think i can even jailbreak 4.10.01, doesnt it have to be 4.3.3, which i cant get i assume if i cant get 5.01

Your assumptions are correct - you can't jail break that iOS version. The only version that was jail breakable for the iPad2 was 4.3.3 and that window to upgrade to that version ended in November 2011, if I remember correctly. And, you can't upgrade to iOS 5.0.1 either, because with the advent of iOS 5.1, Apple has also closed that window.

TBH, my recommendation would be to upgrade to iOS 5.1. It's the newest and greatest iOS, which will bring your iPad2 up to full currency. And, since you can't jail break it on any iOS right now, why not just enjoy what iOS 5 has to offer...

But, that'd be what I'd do, given your options. Of course, and as always, YMMV.

Marilyn

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
04.10.01 sounds like a modem baseband version, not an iOS version. Check what version you really have in Settings > General > About and post back...

Most reactions