What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Windows xp and iCloud/future updates...slightly worried....

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just curious about My pc running windows xp. I just read that in order to utilize iCloud services I would need vista or windows 7. Since I do not have this current OS on my PC, will this create future updates/incompatibility issues??
For now not having access to iCloud is ok, since I have been on the fence with its current value for my personal needs. :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
All future updates past iOS 5 will happen wirelessly, and come directly to your iPad. You will not need your computer or iTunes, just a wi-fi network (or possibly 3G, I'm not sure about that).

There are extra features you could use on/with your computer (like PhotoSteaming and iTunes Match), but they will not affect your ability to use the iPad itself, or keep it up to date.

OP
skimonkey

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks twerppoet-I appreciate the info. Am I correct in reading that to use the iCloud service I would have to upgrade my pc operating system? When I first got my iPad2, I set up the account with mobile me. I never used the website, however the automatic sync of apps to other devices began between my iPod and iPad. So....with the cloud present, will mobile me be fazed out? What will happen to my automatic load of apps to other devices-will it continue after full transition?
Sorry for all the questions-really appreciate the help!

ipadbraincell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sync and updates only takes place afaik when the device is on WiFi and plugged into a power source, or plugged into an authorized computer

You can select to or not back up to icloud in itunes. If you stay XP that may not be an option eventually.

Tbh surprises me Apple will not support XP in the future, as Vista was imho a complete disaster .

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
To use iCloud on your computer you will have to upgrade. It will work fine on the iPad no matter what you do to the computer.

MobileMe will stop working on June 30, 2012. You'll need to migrate to iCloud by then.

I don't know what will happen to syncing on your computer when you migrate to iCloud, but you will still be able to access the basic iCloud apps through a browser. This includes most of the apps that you are used to seeing at me.com, but they've been changed. Some new features, but some old ones gone too. Gallery and iDisk will go away. Mai, Contacts, Calendars, and Find my iPhone are at icloud.com.

At any rate, you have most of a year to figure out what you are going to do. XP is getting a bit long in the tooth, and Windows 7 is a decent, stable operating system. Or you could complete your journey to the dark cider and get a Mac. ;)

RW2112

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Plus also it won't be long before Microsoft drops all support for XP. They already extended it's support longer than they originally planned to, but eventually it will happen.

OP
skimonkey

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
To use iCloud on your computer you will have to upgrade. It will work fine on the iPad no matter what you do to the computer.

MobileMe will stop working on June 30, 2012. You'll need to migrate to iCloud by then.

I don't know what will happen to syncing on your computer when you migrate to iCloud, but you will still be able to access the basic iCloud apps through a browser. This includes most of the apps that you are used to seeing at me.com, but they've been changed. Some new features, but some old ones gone too. Gallery and iDisk will go away. Mai, Contacts, Calendars, and Find my iPhone are at icloud.com.

At any rate, you have most of a year to figure out what you are going to do. XP is getting a bit long in the tooth, and Windows 7 is a decent, stable operating system. Or you could complete your journey to the dark cider and get a Mac. ;)

Thanks again, Twerppoet for you insight with this helps. I am glad that I do have a year yet, to work things out with icloud and my aging computer and laptop. Both were purchased about in 2006 when I returned for my Doctoral Studies and has been faithful, but beginning to get tired. It has been a while, and yes...I have been considering strongly towards moving towards the "dark cider!" I will keep all of you posted, when my time comes!! Again, many thanks for your expertise!:)

K1W1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Isn't ironic. Apple are probably going to force more Windows users to update from XP than Microsoft have been able to do.

OP
skimonkey

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Isn't ironic. Apple are probably going to force more Windows users to update from XP than Microsoft have been able to do.

I know...it certainly is ironic, those were my thoughts exactly.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Microsoft has announced that it'll end XP support in 2014. (Notice has been given mainly so companies' IT departments have time to prep for migration.) Windows 8 is expected toward the end of 2012.

OP
skimonkey

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Microsoft has announced that it'll end XP support in 2014. (Notice has been given mainly so companies' IT departments have time to prep for migration.) Windows 8 is expected toward the end of 2012.

You are extremely informative as well, KayKayKay! Thanks so much...at least that buys me some time...at least a year. I bought both my laptop and my desktop within 3 months of each other...so, probably replace one of the two.

Thank you!!:)

idave23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't know if this helps anyone but when we bought our iPhones at the Apple store I asked about the whole XP thing. The guy said that, basically, if you don't need Outlook you don't need to upgrade to Vista or 7. Don't know how many folks that applies to but since it did to me it was good to know.

OP
skimonkey

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Don't know if this helps anyone but when we bought our iPhones at the Apple store I asked about the whole XP thing. The guy said that, basically, if you don't need Outlook you don't need to upgrade to Vista or 7. Don't know how many folks that applies to but since it did to me it was good to know.
Hi idave- I do use outlook, however, that is on my work computer. I think (hope) that I will be ok, since it is working in its on cloud and not apple's. When I make changes to my outlook calendar at work,it syncs to my android phone and iPad. I do not use an outlook program on my home computer.

Most reactions

Latest posts