What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Windows 7, iTunes and Ipad...HELP!

iPadMomma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just to give a background on my PC...it's new so I don't believe it's slow...
Dell Inspiron N7010 Intel Core i3 CPU, M370 (not overly sure what that is), 2.4 GHz, 6GB, 64-bit operating system, Windows 7 Home premium. Running iTunes 10. Ipad 32 GB 3G.

Here's the problem. I switched syncing from a MacBook Pro (work computer) to this one...(hard drive got over filled). I confess I have about 20 gigs of apps on there and am down to about 2 gigs of free space. I attach my iPad. Whenever I try to do anything in iTunes, especially within the apps tab, iTunes gets very sluggish and ends up unresponsive.

I can't scroll, can't check off apps I want to add/delete, can't manipulate the iPad's screen, etc... It freezes. Then shuts down. I've researched everything I can about this topic with no solution other than using another program to control my music. Well, I don't have music on my iPad...I have it on my touch.

I think I finally got my disappearing folders issue taken care of (knock on wood) but now need this one taken care of. Solutions?

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow !!
20 Gig of Applications..
I know I preach all the time against syncing with the iTune Virus, but with App you must.
Have you tried to see what happens when you un-Check say.. 80% of the applications.
You know you can un-Check as many as you want, so they wouldn't sync with the iPAD.
Just play with it, to check if the problem is the amount of applications or something else.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
With 20 GB to sync for the first time, it is going to take forever. You can do as peled said, and not sync all the apps. That should help some, but seriously, you are just going to have to wait it out.

My suggestion. Just before bed, start your laptop. Make sure your laptop is set to not go to sleep. Screen dimming is ok. Run nothing on it but iTunes. That includes making sure your virus program and Windows Update haven't decided it's time to do their thing. Hook up your iPad and start the sync. Go to bed.

Fiddling with it while it syncs will only slow things down and increase the chance that it will freeze or have some other problem in the middle of the sync.

Once you have the iPad fully synced, later ones will be much faster. Especially if you do it once a week or so, so that it doesn't have a lot of changes to make.

Last edited:

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The two things I would try out first you have not mentioned because they may have been too obvious.
First, I'd turn off the gazillion apps that may be running at the same time in multitasking.
Second, I'd do a reset to empty the memory.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Whenever I try to do anything in iTunes, especially within the apps tab, iTunes gets very sluggish and ends up unresponsive.
Do you have the latest version of iTunes? The current version is 10.1.1.4. I had an almost identical problem with my iPad and the upgrade fixed it.

OP
I

iPadMomma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the latest of iTunes. The thing is that it's all synced up. Let's say, for example, there's an app that I actually DON'T have on the iPad but is in iTunes that I want to add it to the iPad. I try to scroll down through the apps (on iTunes) but I can't after the first few pages, for lack of a better word. Or, if I want to manipulate/organize my apps on my iPad through iTunes (make folders, move the apps around, etc...) I can't do that either. I will admit there are a ton of apps. I don't know if the high number of them is what's causing all of this or what. There was some sluggishness with the Mac but it wasn't this bad.

OP
I

iPadMomma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Next one....

The two things I would try out first you have not mentioned because they may have been too obvious.
First, I'd turn off the gazillion apps that may be running at the same time in multitasking.

Call me stupid...how to you turn them off in multitasking? Next stupid question...reset as in hold down the power button on the iPad or the Home and Power button?

zrb0529

iPF Noob
Reaction score
double tap the home button, press and hold on an app in the app bar, start clicking x's

:)

iTunes on Windows is sort of...well...it's junk...can you sync a few apps at a time?

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Call me stupid...how to you turn them off in multitasking? Next stupid question...reset as in hold down the power button on the iPad or the Home and Power button?

No you're not stupid, just uninformed. If you want good performance from any computing device you should keep a minimum of applications open at a time.

As zrb0529 says, double click the home button. At the bottom you'll see a bar open. It shows all the open apps. Press and hold down any one of them until they all shake. Then tap the X on the ones you want to shut down. Don't worry it doesn't erase your app, it just shuts them down in that bar...

The reset as in pressing the home and power buttons will also shut every app down. Once done you'll get a very improved performance from your iPad.

pluto6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the latest of iTunes. The thing is that it's all synced up. Let's say, for example, there's an app that I actually DON'T have on the iPad but is in iTunes that I want to add it to the iPad. I try to scroll down through the apps (on iTunes) but I can't after the first few pages, for lack of a better word. Or, if I want to manipulate/organize my apps on my iPad through iTunes (make folders, move the apps around, etc...) I can't do that either. I will admit there are a ton of apps. I don't know if the high number of them is what's causing all of this or what. There was some sluggishness with the Mac but it wasn't this bad.

With lots of apps, iTunes takes a long time to scroll down. You just have to wait. If you scroll for the top of the apps to the bottom, look at your hard drive light and it will probably be full on, not blinking, indicating your hard drive is chugging as fast as it can. Don't delete the apps though if you like them, as apps are pulled all the time. Better to move them to another directory, and refresh iTunes, so it is working with less apps.

speedlever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Let me tack onto this thread with a related question about the iTouch.

Yesterday I was trying to update my daughter's iTouch from 4.1 to 4.2.1. iTunes and the iTouch burped and next thing we know iTunes puts the iTouch in recovery mode. Uh oh.

This is on a Windows Vista/32 PC running two 60 GB drives. The iTouch is a 64GB/4G model.

She had the iTouch almost full (about 2 Gb free)... mostly apps... 1000 or so with some music, some photos, and videos. I'd made a fairly recent backup of her iTunes folder to an external drive.

We can recover the apps and music she got from the iTunes store by going to history and snagging them again. But I can't find anywhere that her photos and videos might be stored in the backup.

Any ideas? I suspect they are just gone.

Yes, this time we'll also sync her iTouch to her XP/netbook too. At least it has a 160GB drive.

Please don't get me started on iTunes. I find the iPad a near computer due to being shackled to iTunes and no USB ports. (but I still enjoy my iPad!)

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We can recover the apps and music she got from the iTunes store by going to history and snagging them again. But I can't find anywhere that her photos and videos might be stored in the backup.
Videos are in the same folder as all your music in a folder name... (are you ready for this?)... Movies! You may have to go into iTunes and use the Add Folder option.

All you photos should still be on your PC where you originally had them... unless you (or someone!) deleted them off your PC after you transferred them to your iPad.

speedlever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, not exactly. What I'm referring to are the photos and videos she made with the iTouch. Not photos and videos sideloaded to the iTouch.

I can't find any of her photos/videos she made with the iTouch. Not sure where the iTouch stores that type of file.

It may be too late to attempt a recovery if the backup I made didn't include those files. And if not, I'm not sure how to include them in the future.

I can see the iTouch on my win7PC under Windows Explorer. I also have a little PC app called iPhone Explorer. But we've already done the restore since after the burp, the only thing showing on the iTouch screen was the USB cord connection instruction like you see on a brand new iDevice.

Most reactions

Latest posts