What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apps and Movement to Windows 7

vyellen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had to upgrade to Windows 7 and download and install new itunes. iTunes finds iPad but all the apps on ipad are not show up in itunes. I can figure out how to get them to itunes and itunes seems to only want to wipe them out. It says I am synced with another iTunes library (now dead) and do I want to wipe out my iPad. I also have movies on iPad and loaded CDs. Please Help.

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try
File
Transfer purchases. Also you can redownload all your apps without repurchasing so just hit the store...also you could search for windows program that will grab your music from the iPad. Then so long as your iTunes I'd is the same you could set up your iPad the same.

OP
V

vyellen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try
File
Transfer purchases. Also you can redownload all your apps without repurchasing so just hit the store...also you could search for windows program that will grab your music from the iPad. Then so long as your iTunes I'd is the same you could set up your iPad the same.
Thanks for the help. On the apps page of iTunes I now have all my apps on the left and right side but can't do anything. I dont know what to do with the message "The iPad "Victor's iPad" is synced with anothe iTunes library (now destroyed I believe) Do you want to erase this ipad and sync with this itunes library?" I will lose the movies I loaded from DVD and music from CD??? I guess I am still confused what iTunes is doing :confused:

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you mean destroyed because your HD crashed, that doesn't effect your iTunes log in password. Go into iTunes and click on Store at the top of the page, then click "Authorize this Computer", log in, with your old account info, and the Account will be authorized on your new iTunes. Now the iPad will be authorized for it's old account and be happy.

OP
V

vyellen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you mean destroyed because your HD crashed, that doesn't effect your iTunes log in password. Go into iTunes and click on Store at the top of the page, then click "Authorize this Computer", log in, with your old account info, and the Account will be authorized on your new iTunes. Now the iPad will be authorized for it's old account and be happy.
I had already authorized it. I did it again and it said already authorized. Still the apps folder is grayed out on both sides. It does appear that The first suggestion get all my iPad apps from the right side to the left side. :confused:

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well iTunes thinks your iPad is authorized to a different account, the one you set up in iTunes on your old PC OS (XP?) before you upgraded. That is, assuming that the iPad synced properly with the old OS/computer before the upgrade. When you authorized the Win7 i Tunes, did you use the same login as on the old PC/OS or did you register a new account. If you registered as a new account, it's not going to sync without loosing all of the data, music, videos and movies you have on the iPad, because it's a NEW account, not the old one that the iPad knows it belongs to.

OP
V

vyellen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well iTunes thinks your iPad is authorized to a different account, the one you set up in iTunes on your old PC OS (XP?) before you upgraded. That is, assuming that the iPad synced properly with the old OS/computer before the upgrade. When you authorized the Win7 i Tunes, did you use the same login as on the old PC/OS or did you register a new account. If you registered as a new account, it's not going to sync without loosing all of the data, music, videos and movies you have on the iPad, because it's a NEW account, not the old one that the iPad knows it belongs to.
Came from XP. Used the same account as on XP. I am assumming that account is defined by my email address and my password. Both are the same as on the XP system. It is actually the same physical machine just the OS change. Everything is on iPad. I am concerned when I buy a new app that I am going to have trouble getting onto the iPad. The sync botton seems to want to wipe my iPad. :confused:

Last edited:

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How did you upgrade?
Did you go from 32 bit XP to 64bit Win7?
Did you use Laplink PCMover Upgrade Assistant, or whatever they call it now?
Did you just do a clean install of Win 7?

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
How did you upgrade?
Did you go from 32 bit XP to 64bit Win7?
Did you use Laplink PCMover Upgrade Assistant, or whatever they call it now?
Did you just do a clean install of Win 7?

I'm interested in this since I'm considering an upgrade from 32bit XP Pro to 64 bit Win7. My understanding is that we will have to reformat and do a clean install. I have a stable situation and wouldn't do it except I want to increase RAM for PS.

Diane

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My son says he followed this method to get his stuff off his ipod when his PC crashed... I haven't used it so can't vouch for it but his ipod is intact and his new pc has his data... so,yeah.
Transfer iPhone to iTunes | Copy iPhone to iTunes

PS> I was also looking around for you (well and me incase it ever happens here) and one step i read was to deauthorize your first PC so you get a pop up on the new one to transfer. Not sure what transfers but you can deauthorize all computers from the apple website then reauthorize your "new" system.

Last edited:

Most reactions