What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will you be able to give a book away?

Finnedog

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think how this part of ebooks shakes out will be interesting.

If you can't lend a book, sell a book, give a book away after you have purchased it it will be a big change from the hard copy.

I guess I am not up on how these ePub books can be transfered from computer to computer or device to device.

How do the Kindle, Nook and Sony Reader handle transferring of ePub books?

iBean

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hubby recently joined "Audible"for books on "tape" experience. For me to use the books too, even after I've downloaded them on a DVD, I have to log in with his Audible id & pw. So in that instance, one can not give away books to those one is not willing to share ones password with.

By the way, I find I tend to go to sleep listening to books, so really prefer using the printed word. Do that on my iTouch at the moment, and am rediscovering the Classics that I missed reading as a youngster, like the first Edgar Rice Burrows "Tarzan" book, and Last of the Mohicians. These have been a free download on the Gutinburg (sp?) site.:)

rudeman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I believe there will be a work around to share books just like you can share audio. You are correct with respect to audio books. You did need the password at first.

However I removed the audio book from iTunes one time and then put it back and it did not ask for the user id nor password.

AbblePC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
B&N eReader already allows this.

You can loan eBooks up to 14 days I believe...

Just double checked to be sure, here is what B&N site says;

Q. How do I lend eBooks from my nook?
X. With our new LendMe™ technology, you can lend many of your eBooks one time for a maximum of 14 days. In your nook's library, select View Item and Details of an eBook and tap Lend. Then you either select a friend you have already defined on your nook, or create a new contact. You can also enter a personal message. Once done, tap Submit and then Confirm to have your lend offer emailed to your friend. If your friend already has the book on their nook, the offer will not go through, so you can lend the book to another friend.

Q. Does a friend have to have a nook to enjoy a LendMe™ eBook?
X. No. A friend who wishes to read a book you share via LendMe™ can enjoy the book on a number of smartphones, PC or Mac if they use free B&N eReader software.

iTunes B&N eBookReader link

Main advantage of iPad reading whether its B&N eReader or other eBook readers... Backlit and does not need an external light source such that the Nook or other ePaper product does.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/support/

Last edited:

KY_TY

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As I understand it, the ebooks as delivered by Apple will be wrapped in their Fairplay DRM. It will be interesting to see just what "rights" you acquire when these books become available.

The DRM is what enables libraries to lend you the book which becomes unreadable after the lending period. Also as mentioned before, it is what enables the B&N books to be loaned to a friend. Of course, the copy on your reader becomes unreadable until the lending period expires. The DRM is also what locks you into a certain device or application. Amazon, for example, has some of the cheapest ebooks available, but their DRM (and to a degree their azw format) prevents you from using a Sony, Nook or iPad from reading them.

When you buy a hardcover or paperback you are pretty much aware of your rights - read it, loan it, sell it, donate it, etc., but don't use it in anyway for commercial gain. If you get nowhere near these rights with the ebook and there are no paper, printing, or warehousing costs, I for one would expect to reap some of that savings. We'll see if that happens.

Has anyone see anything on what formats and DRM will be supported on the iPad? That is a biggie for me to consider it as a reader.

SeniorMoment

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kindle loaning

In order to loan a Kindle book, the author must allow lending. You have to search Amazon for the Kindle book, scroll down to Product Info, and look for "Lending:Enabled". If you don't see this, you can't lend it. None of my Kindle books have author permission to lend.

Most reactions

Latest posts