What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iBook unstable with too many books loaded

TabletUser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
planemechanic,

You wont get much sympathy from the fan boys because they dont see the ipad as a tool which is what should be. They play rather than use.

I have an ipad (3 actually), an iphone 4 and a large number of tablets (many obsolete now). Tablets are the utimate reference manuals and should be able carry 1000s of documents.

I have a reference library of several thousand books and twice as many documents. The point of a reference library is that it is a REFERENCE. You search and access frommultiple sources, you do not read fromcover to cover as someone suggested.

The ipad is a perfect reference tool. Looks like the software developers dont understand that. I am trying to incorporate my ref library divided into folders into iannotate. If you have any luck with the other apps, please post your recommendations.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I agree it's a tool but as such it is indifferent to whether you use it seriously or frivolously.
As a reference device it shines, but I keep all my reference materials in separate folders on my desktop machines and stream them via zumocast to which of my iPads I'm using at the time.

Keeping the documents and videos on the desktops allows me far greater organisational control over subfolders, syncronisation and backups, and it also saves on the limited iPad storage etc..

For example I was upgrading a macmini this afternoon and able to read a walk through on the iPad while doing it. Made the job very easy especially as I could work away from my desk where the lighting was much better.

However it is a limited device, dare one say a toy compared to a Vaio or macbook, and we shouldn't demand more from it than it can provide with the current software.

TabletUser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Plane Mechanic,

I transfered about 2300 pds to my iPad to iAnnotate.

I needed to purchase DiskAid first (about $10).

I ran the Aji desktop connection to make sure it could see the ipad. I opened DiskAid and it immediately showed my iAnnotate directory. DiskAid will transfer folders so I create a folder with 50 subdirectories on my pc holding 2867 files (ranging from 1M to 120M in size).

I then selected the top level folder in DiskAid to transfer to iAnnotate's directory on the iPad. Took a bit of time but they did without problems.

I opened iAnnotate, it blinked a few times and the folders began to appear one by one.

After it was done, I tried opening files in randomly picked directories and did so without problem.

I have not tried bookmarks or markups but it looks good to me.

I wish apple had created a common storage area for these types of documents so that all apps could see them. I am happy with iannotate.

ePubs are kept in iBooks, I have fewer of those.

Note:

iAnnotate seems to want to do some kind of file processing. I turned that off in the settings before transfering the files. I may turn it on to see what it does but the files i tried seemed to open fine.

Jackolly

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Seriously.....

I only have abt 99 ebooks but it crashed and deleted my "some of" my books anyway. Even NOW!!!!! I'm soooooo away from home. Icloud sucks!!!!!!

Most reactions

Latest posts