What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iBook unstable with too many books loaded

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh dear such angst....
Try not to externalise your internal inadequacies....
Trying to make some sort of profound statement and you misspelled one of the words.
lol.gif

xiutian

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you tried any of the methods suggested? Think there would be people interested in the outcome.

OP
P

planemechanic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you tried any of the methods suggested? Think there would be people interested in the outcome.

Yes, I downloaded the new version of Stanza for iPad and loaded all of my books into Calibre. Boy does it take along time to upload 4000 books to Calibre, but it is done now. The next step is to do the Wireless transfer from Calibre to Stanza mentioned above. I have not done that step yet, I was very busy this weekend. Once I take that step I will post the results.

So far Stanza seems very similar to iBooks.

ScrewTheDaisies

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just as the title says. I have over 3700 epub formated books loaded on my iPad. iBooks seems to forget which page I stopped reading on

I only have 150 books in my library, and I'm starting to experience problems. The first sign of trouble was when I opened the app and, instead of it opening to the book I was currently reading, it pulled up the book I'd had open prior to that one. And I couldn't turn the pages! (Though if I closed and opened it again, I could turn the pages again.) I fiddled around with opening and closing both books and moving around in them, and somehow the problem resolved itself.

Yesterday I started having a new problem. 80 or so pages into a new book, it started losing my place when I exited the app--not every time, but at least half the time. I'm on page 260 now and it's still doing it. I've resorted to bookmarking my place before I leave the app.

I deleted eight or nine books, thinking that would bring me back to where I was before the glitches started happening, but it hasn't helped.

ScrewTheDaisies

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Interesting.... Late last week, I turned bluetooth on and paired the keyboard for about twenty minutes. Then I turned the keyboard off, but not the bluetooth. Yesterday I turned the bluetooth off...and the page-forgetting problem went away. I don't know that the two are related. I'm going to give it a few days to make sure the problem doesn't come back with bluetooth off, then I'll turn bluetooth back on and see if the problem recurs. But so far, I've been able to read since yesterday afternoon without losing my place.

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
That is interesting, and please do report back. It makes no sense to me, but then again, I've be confounded by things most of my life :)

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just as the title says. I have over 3700 epub formated books loaded on my iPad. iBooks seems to forget which page I stopped reading on

I only have 150 books in my library, and I'm starting to experience problems. The first sign of trouble was when I opened the app and, instead of it opening to the book I was currently reading, it pulled up the book I'd had open prior to that one. And I couldn't turn the pages! (Though if I closed and opened it again, I could turn the pages again.) I fiddled around with opening and closing both books and moving around in them, and somehow the problem resolved itself.

Yesterday I started having a new problem. 80 or so pages into a new book, it started losing my place when I exited the app--not every time, but at least half the time. I'm on page 260 now and it's still doing it. I've resorted to bookmarking my place before I leave the app.

I deleted eight or nine books, thinking that would bring me back to where I was before the glitches started happening, but it hasn't helped.
Stupid question, but did you wait for the book to fully load? I have the book Ghost Wars about the CIA in Afghanistan, and it literally takes a minute to load sometimes. You have to watch the dots across the bottom of the screen like a progress bar. Otherwise if you try to turn the page prematurely, it won't turn...or it won't turn then suddenly it will turn all the pages you tried to turn while it was loading.

I MUCH prefer the Kindle app.

ScrewTheDaisies

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Stupid question, but did you wait for the book to fully load?

Yep, it was fulling loading--particularly the first few times as I sat there staring at the screen, perplexed.

(I much prefer the iBooks app, aside from having had this one glitch. If Kindle ever starts telling me how many pages till the end of the chapter, I'll probably have a bit less of a preference. (And I can't believe the Kobo app tells you how many pages you have left in the chapter but not the book! Drove me nuts reading the one Kobo book I bought.))

ScrewTheDaisies

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I turned the bluetooth back on yesterday and haven't had any problems, so likely it was something else.

OP
P

planemechanic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't know why but my problems with iBooks seems to have gone away. I did turn off bluetooth, but my problems were better before that.

Most reactions

Latest posts