What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

books

sooky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i wondering what some of y'all do with the books you purchase to read on the ipad? whether it's with ibooks, nook, kindle, whatever. since i have a habit of not re-reading a book twice, i never buy a book unless there's a good chance i'll go back to it and those are usually some sort of non-fiction book. but there are a few books that are good taht i would rather read on my ipad instead of borrowing from the library. the ipad means it's one less thing to carry. and i'm wondering what poeple do with the ebooks since ebooks can't be donated like hard copy books.

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
sooky said:
i wondering what some of y'all do with the books you purchase to read on the ipad? whether it's with ibooks, nook, kindle, whatever. since i have a habit of not re-reading a book twice, i never buy a book unless there's a good chance i'll go back to it and those are usually some sort of non-fiction book. but there are a few books that are good taht i would rather read on my ipad instead of borrowing from the library. the ipad means it's one less thing to carry. and i'm wondering what poeple do with the ebooks since ebooks can't be donated like hard copy books.

Great question. Although I believe that donating or selling ones ebooks is not a possibility now, it is something that is worth serious consideration.

iFrog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It will be nice if you can donate the books to your local libraries and this will allow the libraries to have more ebooks available for others. However I'm sure most writers will not be to happy about it, at it is a lot of them still not like the idea of ebooks .

iFrog - Sent from my iPad2 using iPF

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Check out Overdrive. You can check out books from libraries all over the world. My daughter is an avid reader and does not buy books any more...

-t

55julie55

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Overdrive is a fabulous app.
Have been borrowing books for several months now.
We travel a lot ,so no more 20kilo's of books per suitcase any more.
Also giving the credit card a rest from kindle purchases.
It's really great!

pxexaxcxex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thewitt said:
Check out Overdrive. You can check out books from libraries all over the world. My daughter is an avid reader and does not buy books any more...

-t

If I don't have a library membership how does this work? I searched for local libraries and there are none in my area. I would love to be able to use this app.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
See if your state offers reciprocal lending to other state library card holders. Many do, so even if your local library is not listed you may still be able to use overdrive.

Also many libraries offer non-resident cards for a small annual fee.

My daughter uses a college library card for alumni.

-t

55julie55

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have joined the Melbourne library,which is out state library.
Nothing locally.
But as long as you are a resident of the country a membership should be ok.
Would love to know if I could join other libraries from different countries.
Has anyone had any success with this ?

pxexaxcxex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay, so I was able to find out that here in Texas you must be a member of a library that offers a Texshare library card. Once you have one of these you can borrow from other libraries that participate in the program with one library card. So the mission is to get a Texshare card.

pxexaxcxex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
55julie55 said:
I joined up on line with overdrive.
Check it out

I joined Overdrive too, but that does not give me access to library membership. So I would not be able to borrow books for free. And I am not looking for free classics, I already have apps that can do that.

thekarens

iPF Noob
Reaction score
55julie55 said:
I joined up on line with overdrive.
Check it out

I joined Overdrive too, but that does not give me access to library membership. So I would not be able to borrow books for free. And I am not looking for free classics, I already have apps that can do that.

Overdrive does give you access to library e books if your library uses overdrive. B&N gives away a free book every friday. Kindle probably does something similar.

Sent from my HTC Evo 4g

Last edited:

pxexaxcxex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thekarens said:
Overdrive does give you access to library e books if your library uses overdrive. B&N gives away a free book every friday. Kindle probably does something similar.

Sent from my HTC Evo 4g

That is just the problem. None of my local libraries use Overdrive...none in a hundred miles or more! I love my Kindle app and always take advantage of their free books.

thekarens

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thekarens said:

Sent from my HTC Evo 4g

That is just the problem. None of my local libraries use Overdrive...none in a hundred miles or more! I love my Kindle app and always take advantage of their free books.

Maybe you could find a friend or family member to share their card. I live in Houston and share mine with my father since his libraries don't use overdrive.

Sent from my HTC Evo 4g

Most reactions