What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

will ipad1 die?

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't know if abandon is the right word, but after a while (several years) it will become obsolete. I have a 2nd generation iPod Touch iOS 4.3.1 is apparently the final version of iOS for this device. I also have a 1st generation iPod Touch and iOS 3.3 is the final version for that device. They both still work, but the old hardware can not take full advantage of the iOS updates.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
No it won't die any time soon, what happens at some point the Os upgrade will not work with ipad1 and so some apps may not be compatible no big deal most likely 2 more years keep in mind at some point the battery will die then you need to decide is it worth replacing The battery or buy a new iPad. No different from any laptop

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It will continue to perform as it does now for as long as the hardware holds out.

I suspect that the OS will take another major upgrade, but due to the hardware difference between the two models I'm uncertain if there will be any more after that.

That said, what you have now with hardware and software is pretty neat for the money.

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I browsed eBay the other day and the v1 iPads are still commanding a pretty decent price. There are quite a few brand new units up for sale there. Also, a lot of IPad 1's are still under warranty, so Apple will support them I guess until all the warranties expire.

Last edited:

Chris62

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hope not .....im just getting into mine and they only launched ipad1 in january this side of the world

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Joedogg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
benross29 said:
Now that ipad2 is out will Apple abandon ipad1?

I don't think so, when the iPad 2 came out the price of the 1st gen went down and I used that reason to get an iPad 1st gen 32 gig wifi only for 499$ I don't care anything about thinner or lighter , and I could not be happier

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts