What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will getting a new model iPad fix this issue?

GAMESHARQ

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am currently using an iPad Air 2, which was apparently released in 2014 so it's 6+ years old.

The issue I am running into is apps have to re-load any time I switch between them. For example, I have one game open. I minimize that game and switch to a different game. When I return to the first game, instead of picking up where I left off, it takes me back to the main menu and has to reload the game all over again.

I don't know if this is because I am using old technology or if it's just something that happens with all iPads/tablets.

If I get the newer iPad (8th generation), will that prevent this type of thing from happening?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I am currently using an iPad Air 2, which was apparently released in 2014 so it's 6+ years old.

The issue I am running into is apps have to re-load any time I switch between them. For example, I have one game open. I minimize that game and switch to a different game. When I return to the first game, instead of picking up where I left off, it takes me back to the main menu and has to reload the game all over again.

I don't know if this is because I am using old technology or if it's just something that happens with all iPads/tablets.

If I get the newer iPad (8th generation), will that prevent this type of thing from happening?

Hello - I'm on my third iPad (iPad 2 > Air 2 > Pro) and have gone through 10 or so versions of iOS, and have never noticed that behavior. So, some questions: 1) What version of iPadOS is installed (your device can be upgraded to the present one); 2) Have you done a 'hard restart' by holding down the home and start buttons until the Apple logo appears; and 3) What do you mean that 'I minimize that game and switch to a different game?

Usually when I switch apps, I simply return to the home screen and press the new app desired - now it you're going to the 'multitask screen' and flipping your game off the top of the screen, then that is a 'force quit' and necessitates your app starting anew when next open. SO, let me stop there and please try to answer the questions. Dave :)

OP
G

GAMESHARQ

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am on version 13.2.2. I tend not to update the OS unless I absolutely have to as often times I find it will make my favorite games obsolete.

When I say minimize, I mean tapping the home button which takes me to the home screen but the app remains open in the background.

I will try a hard restart to see if that helps.

BikeFlagAZ

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Have you checked to see how much storage is available (Settings, General, iPad Storage)? If the device is full, it will have to delete something to install/open a new app. Look in the same screen as above to see if “Offload Unused Apps” is enabled.

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
More importantly, older iPads have less working RAM to hold open apps. Games can have large RAM requirements, and you may not have room to run more than one at a time. This memory is separate from the 16-whatever GB of storage, and isn't listed in Settings.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
More importantly, older iPads have less working RAM to hold open apps. Games can have large RAM requirements, and you may not have room to run more than one at a time. This memory is separate from the 16-whatever GB of storage, and isn't listed in Settings.

Yeah, I have a feeling that this is a lot of the issue. The iPad 2 was a great tablet but it’s getting up there in age now. Hardware eventually becomes more and more stressed as time passes. RAM has always been a sticky issue with iPads. The newest base model has 3GB and can be had for around $300 bucks or so. I think you you would appreciate the upgrade.

Most reactions

Latest posts