What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recent issues...

barbieb12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I have an iPad that is 2 years old at the end of this month, so yes it is the first generation but she still works! Anyway, about a week ago I started getting messages ever time I checked my mail that "the iCloud user name or password is incorrect". I have changed nothing, so how do I resolve this little issue?
Second, when I am on a web site, mostly Facebook, but not exclusively, suddenly my iPad will totally shut down and go back to my main screen. I know there are not too many programs running, so what can be the problem? I know this is possibly an issue with this being older technology, but is there a solution for this other than buying a new iPad?
Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on these problems!
Barbie Burchfield. :)

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad 2 has half the RAM of iPad 3 and 4. And iPad 1 has half the RAM of iPad 2.

Your iPad will increasingly show its limitations as newer firmware and apps take advantage of the improved guts in newer iPads.

You can try closing out apps, resetting/restarting, and restoring to factory conditions and reloading everything, but that will not change an older iPad's hardware limitations.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:

Your iPad will increasingly show its limitations as newer firmware and apps take advantage of the improved guts in newer iPads.

You can try closing out apps, resetting/restarting, and restoring to factory conditions and reloading everything, but that will not change an older iPad's hardware limitations.

It's true that the limitations will show with certain apps but that doesn't sound like what's going on here. Not exactly sure what is but Facebook shouldn't be a resource hog, should it? I believe it will quite a while before most apps fail to work on an iPad 2 due to to ram concerns. We shall see!

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I have an iPad that is 2 years old at the end of this month, so yes it is the first generation but she still works! Anyway, about a week ago I started getting messages ever time I checked my mail that "the iCloud user name or password is incorrect". I have changed nothing, so how do I resolve this little issue?
Second, when I am on a web site, mostly Facebook, but not exclusively, suddenly my iPad will totally shut down and go back to my main screen. I know there are not too many programs running, so what can be the problem? I know this is possibly an issue with this being older technology, but is there a solution for this other than buying a new iPad?
Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on these problems!
Barbie Burchfield. :)

G'day Barbie, and before you consider using your faithful little iPad as a frizbee to chuck away, maybe a few steps you can try. I trust you have not already done this:
1) Clear your apps in memory: Double-tap the Home screen button (or do a four-finger swipe upwards) when you will see the row of apps still in memory at the bottom task bar. Hold down on any app until they all start to wiggle and then delete them all, pressing the minus circle, including that Facebook app. This will clean them out of RAM. Then restart your iPad and you will have a fresher machine.
2) Reset your iPad: Simultaneously hold down the Sleep/Close and Home buttons until the screen blacks out. Keep holding both until the white Apple logo appears. Then let go both and wait until that apple turns into the Home screen. Then slide to On.
Be assured that this will in no way harm your iPad but may, I am hopeful, assist with your problem.
Regards, Andrew

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Roy Rob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are you still having that problem Barbie? Try this...go to Settings>Safari>Clear Data and Cookies. Say yes. You may have to re-enter your user name and PW on some sites after, but it should clear up the problems you are having.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's true that the limitations will show with certain apps but that doesn't sound like what's going on here. Not exactly sure what is but Facebook shouldn't be a resource hog, should it? I believe it will quite a while before most apps fail to work on an iPad 2 due to to ram concerns. We shall see!

I barely use FB, but my iPad 1 crashes even with a single app open at times, including on iTunes, App store and Safari. My iPad 2 does as well, just not as frequently. I've done all the troubleshooting steps, and I've had iPad 1 since day one of sales for the 3G model. The crashes started happening with iOS 5, and my diagnostics logs show RAM crashes. I have iPad 1, 2 and 4, as well as iPhone 4S and touch 4, so I can compare performance across several generations of devices. I've also had other iDevices that I've given away on upgrading.

Other people have probs with FB, too. It might be that it's a badly done app, which is highlighted by the hardware limitations of older iPads. An example from today (and there have been other such threads about the FB app): http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-2-forum/98188-non-responsive-ipad-facebook.html

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
... Little snip ....
Other people have probs with FB, too. It might be that it's a badly done app, which is highlighted by the hardware limitations of older iPads. An example from today (and there have been other such threads about the FB app): http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-2-forum/98188-non-responsive-ipad-facebook.html

I'm beginning to think the same. There are a LOT of iPad1 owners reporting Facebook app crashes.

So, maybe if all concerned try to contact the Facebook app developers? I've noticed that Facebook doesn't respond well to inputs - but maybe if enough complaints about the app got to them...

Marilyn

OP
B

barbieb12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Roy Rob said:
Are you still having that problem Barbie? Try this...go to Settings>Safari>Clear Data and Cookies. Say yes. You may have to re-enter your user name and PW on some sites after, but it should clear up the problems you are having.

Hi Roy Rob...this is a new problem, not the headphone/speaker issue. You have an excellent suggestion about clearing the cookies! I can only remember doing this once in the two years! Duh!!
As for the other problem with the speakers, I have not used the headphones since, butttt, occasionally it does occur again. I think something is loose within the jack as if I gently shake the iPad or softly insert the headphones it goes back to speaker! Go figure.
I am still after 2 years, totally smitten by this extraordinary piece of technology...it quite literally goes everywhere with me! It was a Christmas gift from my husband two years ago and it is the gift that keeps giving and giving and giving!
Barbie :)

OP
B

barbieb12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:

Thanks Kaykaykay...that is what my husband also suspected! He has the same iPad and has the same issue. Arrrrrg, I love this little toy and do not want to buy another one, then what would I do with this one? I suppose I need to just move on and not be one of those segmental grouchy people who refuse to move onward as technology reaches new heights.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
my diagnostics logs show RAM crashes. I have iPad 1, 2 and 4, as well as iPhone 4S and touch 4, so I can compare performance across several generations of devices.
Well that does seem do be a logical answer then re iPad 1 where because of RAM limitations there is that sudden shut-down. Seems a somewhat sad aspect of advancing technology where you may have to say goodbye to a faithful friend. :(

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well that does seem do be a logical answer then re iPad 1 where because of RAM limitations there is that sudden shut-down. Seems a somewhat sad aspect of advancing technology where you may have to say goodbye to a faithful friend. :(

Yes, and no. A well written app should work on all devices it is meant for. If FaceBook crashes less often on newer iPads it is most likely because it simply takes longer for the memory leaks (or other problems) to go critical. Memory leaks are the most common bug in an app, and often the hardest to find. Essentially, the longer a problem app runs the more RAM it uses. If there is less RAM, then it takes the operating system less time to close the app in order to prevent the iPad's main routines from crashing.

Think of the iPad 1 as a sink, and the iPad 3 as a tub. Neither would overflow if the faucet wasn't leaky, but obviously the sink is going to make a mess long before the tub (assuming the same poorly designed faucet is involved).

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, and no. A well written app should work on all devices it is meant for. If FaceBook crashes less often on newer iPads it is most likely because it simply takes longer for the memory leaks (or other problems) to go critical. Memory leaks are the most common bug in an app, and often the hardest to find. Essentially, the longer a problem app runs the more RAM it uses. If there is less RAM, then it takes the operating system less time to close the app in order to prevent the iPad's main routines from crashing.

Think of the iPad 1 as a sink, and the iPad 3 as a tub. Neither would overflow if the faucet wasn't leaky, but obviously the sink is going to make a mess long before the tub (assuming the same poorly designed faucet is involved).

I think upgraded firmware also comes into play. With the intro of iOS 5, I noticed many more crashes on iPad 1, tied to RAM, according to my diagnostics logs. Apple must've seen a pattern, because it soon came out with fixed iOS 5.1, which eased the frequency of crashes, and then more so with 5.1.1. There are only so many hardware resources to go around, and if firmware and apps are increasingly tapping on the same RAM, something's got to give. That's an Apple responsibility, because they're responsible for firmware and have control of apps as well.

That said, tech inevitably needs upgrading, so I don't expect devices to last indefinitely. I've gotten loads of use from my iPad 1 and will keep using it, though in more limited fashion, like for movies and photos.

raysto

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's not just ipad 1 users experiencing these problems. I have ipad 3 & iOS 6 and have tried six different browsers and al, of them crash and freeze on Facebook. I think it's Facebook forcing people into using their crap app, probably because its easier to collect your data. Basically, fb is attacking your browsers to force you to download their app. Or so it seems

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Did you tried updating your os to iOS 6.

iPad 1 didn't get iOS 6. The highest it can go is 5.1.1.

It's not just ipad 1 users experiencing these problems. I have ipad 3 & iOS 6 and have tried six different browsers and al, of them crash and freeze on Facebook. I think it's Facebook forcing people into using their crap app, probably because its easier to collect your data. Basically, fb is attacking your browsers to force you to download their app. Or so it seems

The rise in complaints is specifically about the app, so you're conflating two things. The web site might suck, too, but that's not related to the app probs.

Most reactions

Latest posts