What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will converting to new iOS delete apps/files?

strutter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iOS is old and I cannot download certain apps that I want. Will converting to the new iOS delete my iPad apps/files? If so, how do I prevent it?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It should not, but you should always backup the iPad and save any important files anyway; because stuff happens.

Depending on how old your iOS version is, it may require a return to factory (under the new iOS) and then restore from a backup. While this process was (mostly) hidden from the user, the iOS 4 to iOS 5 upgrade did this. So, if you are coming from iOS 4, the backup and saving of files off the iPad is not just recommended, but essential.

Hold in mind that no mater what happens you will be able to recover your apps and most content purchased through the iTunes Store. However, files in those apps are at greater risk. Don't just depend on the backup. Save them individually to a computer or cloud site first.

{I'm pretty sure it was the iOS 4 to iOS 5 upgrade that required several steps in iTunes, including a backup, install of the OS, restore from backup, and then sync. If you accidently stopped the process at the wrong point you ended up with a clean install of iOS 5.}

Last edited:

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have never had a problem BUT. I teach a learn iPad class and one lady updated her iOS from 5 to 7 and lost her data.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
One can loose data if you do not back up that is rule number one in training. Loosing data is not the fault of upgrading it is usually lack of knowledge what to do before one upgrades regardless of what platform one uses. This includes Mac , PC, iOS and Android and any other one out there. I have seen situations where a PC user updated his business computer without backing up and during the update he lost power..... The power loss bricked the hard drive and all was lost. On any iOS device all one has to do before one upgrades is to either use iCloud or connect the iPad to your PC and back it up...... Hope this helps

When one backs up an iPad on his/her computer it then can be restored if something goes wrong....

One more thing.... What ever computer you use for the iPad make sure you also add a hard drive to back up ALL data on that computer. I personally use 2 and back up mon wed Friday on to one drive and Tuesday Thursday sat on the second drive.....plus critical data is back up to a 32gb USB stick which is attached to me every day.

Most reactions