What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

File converting for ipad

Tb0n3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This has got to be one of the most touched on subjects since ipad only uses one file type for video. Holy bajeez how retarded!

My thing though is I have a bunch of .AVI or .FLV. I cant tell which though, on the icon sais .AVI but in properties sais .FLV files. I want to convert them for my ipad from my windows pc. I tried using flv player which converted the files but when I went to properties of the newly converted files properties said .flv (mp4). That's as far as I got before I gave up. Whats the method for this tedious procedure?

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Or just purchase a third party video player app to play the files in their native format. I recommend nPlayer (the one by Newin), plenty of others available as well.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
This has got to be one of the most touched on subjects since ipad only uses one file type for video. Holy bajeez how retarded! . . .

Actually it supports several formats, the most common ones, just not the two that you have your files in; which I admit are more common among serious collectors of digital movies.

Video formats supported: H.264 video up to 1080p, 60 frames per second, High Profile level 4.2 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format

REF: http://support.apple.com/kb/SP692?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

I agree with dhewson777, The easiest solution is to get a third party app that will play the formats you want. I have OPlayer for the rare occasions I need it. I've also heard AVPlayer recommended.

If you do need to convert them I've heard HandBrake is an excellent solution. It's supposed to be available for most platforms.

OP
T

Tb0n3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have come across O player and heard of the third party idea. I guess theres something about that I am not getting cuz still I have the player on my ipad but when I connect my PC to the ipad then go to itunes and try to sync the files I want. When I open the window to choose files to sync there are no files to choose from cuz itunes or ipad doesnt recognize them as compatible een after I use FLV player to convert them. If I am understanding correctly this seems to be my stopping point. I am trying to sync some videos of me playing guitar. Not movies. I am going through the photo tab once I am in itunes.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
To use iTunes to copy music files to OPlayer or other apps, you use the File Sharing feature in the Apps tab of iTunes You'll only see this when your iPad is connected and selected in iTunes.

There you can select files that will be uploaded to your iPad. You don't even have to sync. The copying is automatic when you select the files.

However, it's not necessary to use iTunes at all. All of these apps have several ways to import files. The quickest is to use their Wi-Fi Transfer method (may have different names in different apps). When you select this method you see a URL address. You enter his address into you desktop's web browser. The site, hosted by the iPad, lets you transfer files on/off the iPad. FTP may also be an option, if you are familiar with and prefer to use that protocol.

There is usually a method for downloading apps directly from a website, by browsing or entering the files URL.

DropBox and a few other online file services are almost always supported. Using this you can drop your music files into DropBox on the computer, then play and/or download them from the player app.

Back to iTunes. If you do want to add the files to your iTunes library and play it in the Music app, you are right. You will have to covert the file to a compatible format first. As I said before, most people seem to prefer the Handbrake app (on the computer) for this. I don't use (or need) it myself, but I believe it has an iPad compatible settings to take the fiddling out. (I could be wrong about that).

OP
T

Tb0n3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well looks like I am one step closer. I couldn't seem to find handbrake on the App Store. I do have o player lite hd. Now when I click add files In the app on iTunes Sais not enough space but I still have like 50 gb grrrrr. Might have to try wifi but that's a whole nother thing ugh

OP
T

Tb0n3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Now I noticed after selecting a few files and adding them that my space went down but when I access o player hd lite I couldnt see any files so I deleted the player and still sais the same amount of space is used up. Help!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Sometimes it takes a restart, or some time, for freed up space to show up on the iPad. The OS has to release the storage. Also, some apps don't show the files right away. For instance, when you use File Sharing to move a file to the iWorks apps you still have to create/import the document. It becomes a two step thing.

I don't know if this is how OPlayer Lite works. I've never used File Sharing to copy files through iTunes for OPlayer. Heck, I haven't used File Sharing for at least two iOS versions. There are easier ways to do things, most of the time.

That, and I rarely need to use OPlayer or other third party media apps.

Like the wi-fi web things I mentioned. It sounds complicated, but it's actually pretty easy; assuming both your computer and iPad are on the same wi-fi network.

Handbrake is not an iOS app. It is for your computer. Search for it on the web. Or, I'm pretty sure I supplied a link in the first post where I mentioned it.

Last edited:
OP
T

Tb0n3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Alright well I give this stuff a try. undoubtedly the answers I was getting at. Thanks for your help! Happy holidays!

Nepheler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I normally use VLC player for IOS to watch online videos (AVI, MKV, etc). But if want to move downloaded AVI or FVL files to iPad, you'd better to try a third party converter app.

Most reactions

Latest posts