What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will American iPad 3G get internet in Australia?

Jpurdon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm trying to decide whether or not to take my 'pad to Australia to get internet access. Will either the paid AT&T or the wireless internet access work down there with an American iPad?
Thanks for any advice you can post!
J:)

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
WiFi will work.

If the ATT service did by chance work their you wouldnt even want to think about the international data fees. I know people who have gone out of the country with their iPhones and come back with thousands of dollars in data fee's for their iphone.

You may want to find out what the local cell provider is and buy a micro simcard chip for that company while your there. put the ATT simcard back in when you return to the US.

inyang

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Data roaming not worth the charges.

As previous poster above, will advise you buy sim at destination, if no micro sim, buy regular sim, set up data for period you need it, pop out of your phone and cut to size then put in ipad.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You can purchase prepay micro sims from $15 aust from several providers inc optus, big pond(Telstra) , vodaphone, 3 go to each website to check on rates on prepay also hot Spots are free in many restaurants like macdonalds and inner city malls pending what city you are visiting
Most hotels ,apartments etc offer wifi for a small charge
If you need more assistance send message in private and I will provide links. Let me know where you are visiting in aust. I am in Brisbane. By the way same applies to mobile phones with standard sim assuming your phone is unlocked. Other wise pick up a cheap unlocked phone and prepay card from $50

Australia also has iTunes store with different movies, music etc however you can still use your American iTunes store while in Australia . If you would like to access itunes Australia you can by purchasing Australian iTunes cards from $25 and set up an Aussie account. Try looking at the iTunes store by switching countries you will see what we have here. The only thing to remember is a international power adapter as it is different to American

Only thing missing is iBooks paid books as very limited.

Oh we speak a funny accent here lol.

Last edited:

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
If you would like to access itunes Australia you can by purchasing Australian iTunes cards from $25 and set up an Aussie account. Try looking at the iTunes store by switching countries you will see what we have here.

No need to purchase a giftcard to setup an australian account. :)
But I dont think they plan on doing this.

Sorash

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi wat about in the Caribbean. Can I used my 3G wifi iPad in the dominican republic. I only know they use Orange. Plz let me know. Sorash.

Slyparakeet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am planning to be in the Brisbane area in September. There will not be any free WiFi where I will be. What do I need to do to surf the web on my iPad while I am there?

Many thanks!

You can purchase prepay micro sims from $15 aust from several providers inc optus, big pond(Telstra) , vodaphone, 3 go to each website to check on rates on prepay also hot Spots are free in many restaurants like macdonalds and inner city malls pending what city you are visiting
Most hotels ,apartments etc offer wifi for a small charge
If you need more assistance send message in private and I will provide links. Let me know where you are visiting in aust. I am in Brisbane. By the way same applies to mobile phones with standard sim assuming your phone is unlocked. Other wise pick up a cheap unlocked phone and prepay card from $50

Australia also has iTunes store with different movies, music etc however you can still use your American iTunes store while in Australia . If you would like to access itunes Australia you can by purchasing Australian iTunes cards from $25 and set up an Aussie account. Try looking at the iTunes store by switching countries you will see what we have here. The only thing to remember is a international power adapter as it is different to American

Only thing missing is iBooks paid books as very limited.

Oh we speak a funny accent here lol.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for your question. Yes free wifi is available throughout Brisbane including Queen street Mall which runs through the heart of Brisbane. McDonald's and many other resturants off free wifi also. Most hotels and accommodation units offer the same. The good guys retail chain also offer free wifi. Finally Queensland rail has also introduced free wifi on the trains however I am unsure how many have it yet. If you would like to meet up for coffee while you are in Brisbane send me a PM we always love to meet members from overseas. Hope that helps

Most reactions

Latest posts