What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

will 32 gb be enough for me?

Obfuscation

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Before I buy an iPad I would like to make sure I have enough room on the 32 gb wifi version.

I will be putting 16-18 gb of music on it. I will be putting at least 5-10 e-books on it on iBook. I will have a decent amount of iPad apps(which I hear take up more space than their iphone counterparts?). I would like to put 2 to 3 full length movies on it....but I am afraid this might take up too much space(how much space does a 2 hour movie with dvd quality take up) I also plan on jailbreaking the device, I don't know if this matters.

So, do you think 32 gb will be enough? If you have a 32 gb have you had a problem with space? What do you have on it?

adamh10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You may be ok, however you'll be pressed to fit many movies on it. Your actual formatted memory capacity is around 28GB of available, user tillable space, if I'm not mistaken.

Full length movies can be between 1-2 GB each, and some apps (games especially) can take up 1GB of space alone. Some magazines and newspaper apps do also.

If anything, I'd get a 32GB, try it out for a few days, and then if you need more space just go back to the store and exchange for the 64GB, paying only the upgrade fee. I recommend going to Best Buy as they have no restocking fees for open items and have very easy returns/exchanges.

arshield

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mrshields.com
I have a 32 GB and I think that it is enough for me. I have about 16-18 gb of music about 2 GB of books (with audiobooks), about 3 GB of videos (podcasts mostly). Then app files. I use dropbox so if I need something I don't have I can pull it down. If you have good cloud storage then I think that 32 GB is the perfect size.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wouldn't but that's just me. I have 8GB of music, 2.2GB of apps, books (but truthfully even 100+ books would be lucky to be 250MB), photos, and I find myself wishing I could fit more videos on it.

A full length movie ripped at a moderate rate is going to be somewhere in the neighborhood of 800MB - 1.2GB. Obviously really long movies like LOTR or something are going to be even more.

So let's say you have 1GB of apps, 16GB of music, some system files, maybe some photos, and some books. We will call it a conservative 18-19GB. So now you can put say 10 movies on your iPad.

As much as I travel, there is no way in hell.

mlj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
NO WAY! Mine is a 32gb and has been full still day 2! Should have spent the extra $$ and gotten the 64! I have ebooks and movies plus very few app and its full!

iceman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a 32 gb and I have lots of room. BUT, I only have a few pictures and a bunch of apps.

From what your saying, I would get the 64.

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have a 32 gb and I have lots of room. BUT, I only have a few pictures and a bunch of apps.

From what your saying, I would get the 64.

I agree. To quote Robert De Niro in "Ronin": If there's any doubt, there is no doubt. The fact that you think it'll be close is a sign you're likely to need more.

cherhall

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've got 16 gig full on my 64gig iPad, and I'm sure that will get larger and larger as time passes, and I add more, and better apps come out. So I'm quite glad I went with the 64gig model to be safe.

mcbrew

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've got a 32gig 3G. I have three full length movies on it, a bunch of apps, a few GB of movies, and a couple of albums plus some podcasts. I am still less than 16gigs at this point. I thought i was going to be batch converting my photos down to a lower resolution for the iPad, but I find myself just dumping them on at the full 10 megapixel resolution from my camera. If I start running out of room, that's what I'll do first, though.

I don't find myself putting much music on the iPad, because I have an iPod for that. I will probably put more on in the future, especially stuff i purchase on the iPad. Without an adapter, the iPad won't hookup to the iPod port in my car... Although it will hookmup to my wife's car. Plus, I can leave the iPod hooked up in the car all the time since it is out of sight.

I was worried about not getting the 64, but I have no regrets now. If you travel a lot, like one of the posters above, you might want to carry a lot more music and moviesin Wichita case the 64 would be worth it.

Most reactions

Latest posts