What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WiFi Sync

WitchOneSalem

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad still syncs fine with my first computer but then decided to use my new computer for iTunes and syncing. The iPad still syncs fine with the first computer buy will not wireless sync with the new computer.

I did sync the iPad using the USB cable thinking that is the problem. But that did not make any difference. The first computer has Windows 7 and the new computer has Windows XP.

Could that be the problem?

Sent from my IPAD 1st generation. WIFI only. 64GB

WitchOneSalem

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes the new computer will be the primary computer.

Sent from my IPAD 1st generation. WIFI only. 64GB

Vertigo1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
WiFi sync is the flakiest thing I've ever seen tbh. It used to work semi-OK for me but recently has just stopped working altogether.

Nothing's changed but neither my iPhone, nor my iPad nor my iPod Touch appear in iTunes over WiFi. Nothing's changed, everything is set correctly and I've tried numerous resets/reboots etc but to no avail - it just doesn't work any more. The fact that all three devices worked and now none of them do suggests a problem with iTunes itself - maybe a re-install would fix it but frankly I can't be bothered. Even when it worked, WiFi sync was far too slow tbh, I'll stick with USB :)

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Vertigo1 said:
WiFi sync is the flakiest thing I've ever seen tbh. It used to work semi-OK for me but recently has just stopped working altogether.

Nothing's changed but neither my iPhone, nor my iPad nor my iPod Touch appear in iTunes over WiFi. Nothing's changed, everything is set correctly and I've tried numerous resets/reboots etc but to no avail - it just doesn't work any more. The fact that all three devices worked and now none of them do suggests a problem with iTunes itself - maybe a re-install would fix it but frankly I can't be bothered. Even when it worked, WiFi sync was far too slow tbh, I'll stick with USB :)

Here's a funny thing. I tore much hair out when wi-fi syncing first became available. I had it working for about 2 days, then nothing. Then about a week ago it started working, for no apparent reason and has been fine ever since. It works whether the iDevices are plugged in or not. Very strange, and agreed, very flaky.

Sent from my iPad 4 HD mini

nhi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am also can't sync my ipad to itunes over WiFi even though i followed all the steps on Apple website. On my Ipad, it would say "sync will resume when CNU22881X1D is available." What's weird is that CNU2288X1D is classified as Books! I tried to reboot, and applied all the solutions in the previous posts, but nothing work! I just want to get my books from iTunes to my Ipad since my Ipad couldn't connect to Calibre content sever no matter what. Any suggestions??

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
nhi said:
I am also can't sync my ipad to itunes over WiFi even though i followed all the steps on Apple website. On my Ipad, it would say "sync will resume when CNU22881X1D is available." What's weird is that CNU2288X1D is classified as Books! I tried to reboot, and applied all the solutions in the previous posts, but nothing work! I just want to get my books from iTunes to my Ipad since my Ipad couldn't connect to Calibre content sever no matter what. Any suggestions??

If wifi is giving issues, have you tried the regular cabled sync?

crjcreates

iPF Noob
Reaction score
vitamin said:
After plugging in my Ipad, I checked the box under the summary tab that says "Sync this Ipad over WiFi. Home sharing also has to be on. I think it will work then. I do not believe there is a requirement to have iCloud enabled.

what the hell is "home sharing"? i've never seen that function anywhere in the setting menu.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This one has had me banging my head against the wall ever since ios5 was released, and this feature became available. There are times when my iPad, iPhone and my son's iPod touch will all show up in iTunes and there are other times when none of them will. I've also seen every permutation in between I have never been able to predict when it will work and when it will not. There have been many times when a wireless sync has occurred when the devices are not plugged in to a charger, which is not supposed to happen.

My best advice is not to lose sleep over this feature. I've already done it many times on your behalf, and I'm still no closer to solving it.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
what the hell is "home sharing"? i've never seen that function anywhere in the setting menu.

Home sharing is a function where you can stream your iTunes content to your iPad. If you have a sound dock in on room and your computer in another it means you can listen to all of your music without having to rattle the walls or transfer everything to the iPad.

Look for it in the menus on iTunes. I'm away from my PC and can't remember where it is, but the menu option is "Turn on Home Sharing".

Incidentally, it works in reverse using the free Remote app from Apple. You can use this to remote control iTunes on your PC using your iPad or iPhone. Very useful with a set of wireless headphones.

Last edited:

crjcreates

iPF Noob
Reaction score
KevinJS said:
Home sharing is a function where you can stream your iTunes content to your iPad. If you have a sound dock in on room and your computer in another it means you can listen to all of your music without having to rattle the walls or transfer everything to the iPad.

Look for it in the menus on iTunes. I'm away from my PC and can't remember where it is, but the menu option is "Turn on Home Sharing".

Incidentally, it works in reverse using the free Remote app from Apple. You can use this to remote control iTunes on your PC using your iPad or iPhone. Very useful with a set of wireless headphones.

WOW,I didn't know that. Thanks for the schooling!

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
WOW,I didn't know that. Thanks for the schooling!

No problem. That's what the forum is here for. While we are on the subject of streaming, you can use a combination of VLC Streamer on the iPad and VLC Streamer Helper on the PC to stream movies from your computer to your iPad. Both programs are free with minimal advertising, and there is an ad-free version of VLC streamer for a couple of dollars.

Just start the helper on the PC and run the app on the iPad and you'll see all of your movies on the iPad. You can even play stuff that is in the wrong format, which helps if you want to rip DVDs without losing quality.

Most reactions

Latest posts